Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #1

Dumb question - ICC switch

Okay, I've got an ICC switch next to my engine break switch ... anyone use theirs and if so, when?

My brother, an OTR driver said that trucking companies no longer use them - liability issues was the rationale he gave.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
therealvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 12:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dumb question - ICC switch

Well, first of all, the Interstate Commerce Commission no longer exists, but the ICC name lives on in all these older vehicles with the switch labeled thus.

I use mine as it was intended-- to momentarily flash the marker and clearance lights as a thank you after another driver clears me back into the lane after a pass. I find a fair number of truckers will still do so.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Well, first of all, the Interstate Commerce Commission no longer exists, but the ICC name lives on in all these older vehicles with the switch labeled thus.

I use mine as it was intended-- to momentarily flash the marker and clearance lights as a thank you after another driver clears me back into the lane after a pass. I find a fair number of truckers will still do so.

X2
The curtesy of the older trucker will never die, not completely anyway.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
X2
The curtesy of the older trucker will never die, not completely anyway.
We old timers try to teach the newbie drivers... but they seem to think that 3 weeks in a truckdriving school teaches them everything they will ever need to know..... sad state of affairs.... H's Bells I have nearly 50 years out on the highway and still consider myself a rookie
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
We old timers try to teach the newbie drivers... but they seem to think that 3 weeks in a truckdriving school teaches them everything they will ever need to know..... sad state of affairs.... H's Bells I have nearly 50 years out on the highway and still consider myself a rookie
It's very clear you are a professional.
I have passed other motor homes and have had the driver of the one I just passed flick their ICC lights when I have barely cleared their front bumper. I will not pull into the lane until I am ready. It seems like some other drivers are overly eager to show off their lights. I want a safe distance between me and the vehicle I just over took. You drive yours and I will drive mine.
Lynn
Old 04-01-2017, 05:38 AM   #6

I read somewhere that due to liability? the switches were no longer installed and their use was illegal. I have always used mine as a polite way of saying Thank You for your courtesy in letting me know when it is safe to change lanes, what and where is there a danger in that? I am not a professional driver but have always believed in being a good driver and showing respect for the professionals who earn a living by driving!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
I read somewhere that due to liability? the switches were no longer installed and their use was illegal.

what and where is there a danger in that?

I doubt it's any liability issue, it is however illegal in a lot of places.

The rear lights are red, flashing red lights are restricted to Fire, Ambulance and LEO.

Unfortunately they can't word the law such that they're restricted to official use and 'courteous drivers' so it's a no-no.

Besides which, flicking the high beams for second is far more visible and can usually be seen even if the passing driver is not looking in the mirror directly, especially at night.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #8

So tapping your brakes a couple times would be illegal.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #9

Every light on the back of my MH and dolly are RED.

When I'm below the minimum posted speed limit, the signals are flashing.

Flashing BLUE lights are restricted.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #10

What BS, what moron could possibly confuse momentarily turning the running lights on and off twice to say Thank You with flashing red lights!!! I flash my high beams after a large rig has passed to let them know it's safe to move back in my lane and they flash their lights twice to say thank you. Simple courtesy fosters safe driving should not be considered illegal!!! Again, I say BS! There are to damn many lawyers!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:12 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The liability issue is that you might signal to another driver that he is safely past you and then he has an accident of some sort. In today's litigious society, a lawsuit may well result. More likely so if the signal came from a commercial vehicle, where "deep pockets" makes them a target for a lawsuit.

I can't imagine the presence of an ICC switch (or similar momentary light flash switch) being illegal, nor the use of one being illegal. There are regs at the state level about the proper use of headlights, tail lights and marker lights, but I know of none that categorically prohibit courtesy flashes of those lights. However, it should be obvious that a driver should not flash high beams into the eyes of oncoming drivers. Being courteous has to take second place to being safe.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #12

I don't know when all of this "ICC switch in older units" came about but we have a 2015 Georgetown that has one. Not convenient to hit so I normally will flick the highbeams as necessary.
SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #13

Another view

I don't flash or flick my lights to or for anyone. I don't know how experienced or familiar the other driver is with operating a larger vehicle. If they are new to the game I may confuse them and cause havoc while thinking I'm being a courteous driver. They may not have a clue why I am flashing my lights.
Pass them and use your mirrors for what they are intended for or be passed and be aware someone who passes you may pull back into line too quickly. Let them pass and blend back in. Be defensive and alert. You have enough to do without trying to drive someone else's vehicle for them at the same time you are driving yours.
"Drive safely and arrive alive"
Lynn
Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

If really necessary I flash highbeams a couple times to let the person passing know it is okay to move back into the lane. If I am passing and someone signals me I flash emergency flashers twice to thank them. Any other time I simply drive and pay attention to what is going on around me.

Tags
switch