Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

Dump hoses

I'm sure the subject has come up if you spend the rest of your life looking for the thread, but posting new is easier. The Rhino black water/grey water sewer lines must be turned and seated into place, and then turned and unseated to take apart and store. Even with rubber gloves, locking and unlocking can be a challenge, and WD-40, etc. just gunks things up. Has anyone fashioned a tool to help twist the lines together and apart?

Once the Rhinos crack or break, I'll be going to a "push-in" product that looks to be a bit pricey, but might make life easier.

Jim in Fort Myers, FL
Jim Woodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Jim, I've been using a Rhino hose for years with my 5th wheel, where the whole thing fit into the bumper. We have just recently moved to a new used class A. I bought a nice new Rhino to go with it and was shocked that it would not fit in the tube built into the side of my motor home. So I mounted a larger holder up under the back of the motor home to hold the Rhino, even though the tube in the side will hold a cheaper hose. It would have never occurred to me to take the thing apart every time. Except for the 90 degree piece on the end that goes into the sewer of course.

RussellG in Vancouver, WA
RussellG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

They are a little hard to get on/off the MH valve. Mine are getting a little easier the more I use them. I was thinking of filing off a little of the connecting lock but don't want to ruin it...maybe a little oil???..But they seal rally nice....
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #4

Ah-Yep, the 5x5" fence post mounted on the rear bumper mod is what you want for the Rhinoflex.

For your upgrade to a better system, what you REALLY want is a Lippert Waste Master (Yes, a tad pricey, but do you REALLY want to skimp on something where system failure is almost unthinkable? )

[http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/08/li...t-frog-rally/]

Full Disclosure: I own one and am testing it & the components for Lippert. Former RhinoFlex owner and I can say with confidence this is a order of magnitude better system than the Rhinoflex!
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

I have a 15' and two 10' Rhino hoses. Mostly just use the 15' one, but sometimes need all three. I have never had a problem with them. After flushing them out, I separate and spray the ends with Lysol before putting the caps on. Each end and component (not the hoses) gets sprayed with Lysol before storing in the wet bay. Wet bay always smells fresh and hoses are easy to couple.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
get a macerator pump and be done with all of the hose switching nonsense. Also do not have to worry about having the hose run down hill just pull the 1.5inch or garden hose out. Open the valve on the end and turn on the pump. Does not get any easier or less messy than that.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodard View Post
...... I'm sure the subject has come up if you spend the rest of your life looking for the thread, but posting new is easier.......

Nice attitude. Welcome to the forum.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I too have a macerator and love it, don't have to wait forever in line at the sani-station. I dump when I feel like it at home into my garage drain, take as much time as I like and can rinse the tanks real good with hot water! Of course when we are on the road for any length of time we have to use the stinky slinky but we do what we have to do where ever we happen to be.
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Jim. Best of luck in finding an answer to your question. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Ah-Yep, the 5x5" fence post mounted on the rear bumper mod is what you want for the Rhinoflex.

For your upgrade to a better system, what you REALLY want is a Lippert Waste Master (Yes, a tad pricey, but do you REALLY want to skimp on something where system failure is almost unthinkable? )

[http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/08/li...t-frog-rally/]

Full Disclosure: I own one and am testing it & the components for Lippert. Former RhinoFlex owner and I can say with confidence this is a order of magnitude better system than the Rhinoflex!
Bob, I looked for the info you referenced. Interesting but hard to follow at leas in the links I saw. It seems to say the connection is permanent but then how do you handle where it's connected and stored? The pictures I saw didn't show that well. I can envision a system I would design like this but the storage and maneuverability need explained ... at least to me.

Those who tout the macerator approach have some points but similar to the comments in your links it seems to me there's a need for more thought. A macerator that has a much larger diameter inlet/outlet for example would alleviate waiting on pumping.

JMTCW

Bill
Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodard View Post

The Rhino black water/grey water sewer lines must be turned and seated into place, and then turned and unseated to take apart and store. Even with rubber gloves, locking and unlocking can be a challenge, and WD-40, etc. just gunks things up. Has anyone fashioned a tool to help twist the lines together and apart?

Jim in Fort Myers, FL

Jim,

I use my large filter wrench to help with the removal. I usually have no problem with locking them into place. It's the removal where I need a little help with my filter wrench.

Here is the wrench that I use. I carry it for removing my fuel filters if needed while running the roads.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #13

Dump hoses re-visited

What an incredible and fine family we have! Thanks for all of the comments regarding, what I now know to be, the "bayonet" connector on the Rhino and Dominator dump hoses.

RusselG in Vancouver: At a park, I can go very short, but need 30' at home, so I'm always connecting and disconnecting.

Mike and Char in Orange C., CA: Yes, they are the best connection available. (Lived in Wherry Housing when Dad was stationed at El Toro.)

Crasher in Benson, AZ: Wow! I wondered why I had so many caps laying around.

gemini5362: Macerator...$$$...someday.

JFXG in Middleborough, MA: Thanks for the compliment. Would love to meet Lincoln someday.

noserider: back at ya.

Dr4Film: I fell out of the discussion before your lucid response on using large filter wrenches, but was going to look into it before I read you. We have a cosmic connection.

I looked at the ratings on the Thetford SmartDrain clip connectors. They were horrible comments regarding unacceptable leakage. I gosh darn near spent over $100 for a set and an extension, and glad I didn't.

Wait! Now I'm feeling rich. Macerator here I come!

Jim and Kristie Woodard
Fort Myers, FL
Jim Woodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
" is that sarcasm ? " Dr Sheldon Cooper TBBT
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote