Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
Dump Valves

When you are parked camping what do you do with your Gray and Black dump valves?? Do you leave the blk valve closed an dump every other day or just leave them open???? I have a. 40' Mountain Aire diesel pusher ?? Dad a problem with blk tank not getting rid of stuff while leaving valve open. Any dugestions would be helpful

Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
leave black valve closed till atleast 3/4 full. use lots of water too.
I do the same with grey unless either taking shower or doing laundry.

laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Always leave black closed until you are ready to dump. You can leave gray open until a day or 2 before you are going to leave so it will rinse out your hose etc. if you forget to shut it and gray is empty before you flush out tanks it's no big deal as your tank flushers will still take care of everything. But the Black always stays closed until dumping because the liquid runs out leaving the solids stuck to the bottom. Always put back in a inch or (just guess) so of water after cleaning so the bottom of the tanks are always soaking anything left behind and when you start using again it's ready.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Leave black closed until it's time to dump or your will have a Poo-Poo Tee Pee form in the bottom of the tank. I leave the gray open until the day before we are to leave. Close the day before you dump the black tank. Dump and flush black first, then the gray to flush the sewer hose.

Many of the newer MH have a sink draining into the black tank so there is plenty of liquid. If yours does not have this feature, use lots of water when flushing. Dry flushes can also cause the Poo-Poo Tee Pee as what little water there is will drain leaving the solids stuck in the tank.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
As stated black closed until full or fill with water before dumping. I leave gray closed also. Just so I won't forget to close before leaving and might be some solids from sink to clear out with force of full tank.
Rudy 8 Year old miniature dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
What everyone else said. In addition one rule we now follow is except for TP, or some form a water, if it didn't flow through you it doesn't go in the black tank.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Thx everyone for the information. On my way out to close blk dump valve
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Keep both closed. Sewer flies can be a problem and you do not want those on board. I have read of rare instances where there also could be a campground sewer back up. We pull the grey every morning and close it once it is drained.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you've got the picture now. One caution regarding the gray tank..... some have advised leaving the gray closed also. We don't do this, but if you do, be mindful of how quickly it will fill. We have found our gray tank to be the most limiting factor, and when it fills it backs up to the low point of the drain system, which is the tub/shower.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I totally agree with what others have said. We leave the black tank valve closed until it is close to full. We leave the gray tank valve open until we're almost ready to dump the black tank. I like to close the gray tank just before we take our showers, which gives us plenty of water in the gray tank to flush the pipes and hose after dumping the black tank. After dumping I close the black tank valve, leave the gray tank valve open, and add "Happy Camper" holding tank treatment to the black tank. Project complete!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What we do. Black always closed until dumping. Grey closed except for when showering or run the washer/dryer. Try to maker sure there is some grey water to flush the hose after dumping black. If not, be sure and use the black tank spray after dumping it.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
We take it a step further. I have a 3rd valve that twists onto the discharge followed by a clear section and then the sewer hose. I keep the grey and black closed all the time. When ready to dump, the 3rd valve, clear section and hose is hooked up. I turn on the black flush out line and open the black slide valve along with the 3rd valve till empty. Then the 3rd valve is shut and the grey opened. I let 1/3 of the grey flow into the black tank. (Both black and grey valves open while 3rd is shut) Then dump the black and repeat the process. By the time both tanks are empty, I have clear water coming from the black. Let the tank flush run a couple minutes and add cup to a pint of Pine Power and we're good to go with clean tanks and never any build up. The Pine Power keeps the tank clean and no odor.

Note: do not use Pinsol, as it does not have any pine oil in it. Pine Power does.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote