Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up Dump Valves for the Lazy

I didn't like having to crawl under the slide to dump the tanks. So, I decided to see what was available for electric dump valves. I found three different manufactures, two of which required the removal of the existing valves and one that didn't.

The Barker Auto Drain valve is an electric operator that bolts onto the existing dump valve body and uses the existing gate in the valve. The Barker Auto Drain fits both Valterra and Bristol waste valves and come in both 3" and 1.5" sizes. Operation time for the valves is 5 secs for the 3" and 2 secs for the 1.5". Installation is very straight forward and requires very little extra space. The other electric valves are much larger and require additional height clearance, plus you have to remove the existing valves to install the new ones.

I ran cabling from the wet bay to the control panel in the coach above the door. By installing switches just below the tank gauges, I can now check tank levels and drain the tanks all from inside the coach. LEDs built into the switches show when the valves are open.

Realizing there could be times when I might want to dump the valves from outside, I built a remote control that allows the valves to be dumped from outside the coach using a fob. I also installed an on/off switch for the controls so that I can enable valve operation only when the coach is connected to a dump, preventing any "accidental discharges". Not shown in the picture is the cover on the remote control module to prevent it from getting splashed since its in the wet bay.

The two valves were $200 and the parts for the remote control were about $25, all from Amazon.

Some pictures of the installation are below:
Barker Auto Drain installed on the existing valves
Valve control switches added to the control panel
Remote control module
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	185923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732wOL.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	185930  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0708.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	185931  
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Wow! Are you handicapped or just like modifying things?
Great job!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I must really enjoy modifying things. On our last rig I did over 50 mods and "improvements"! We've had our coach about six months and have already done a half dozen mods. The DW says I can't leave anything alone Oh well, keeps me busy and off the street.

Dave
Old 12-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

Love it ! My only concern would be if the hose broke or came loose somehow. Would be quite a mess !
Thanks for the info !
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #5

Very Cool! Please clarify: It looks like, from the instruction manual, that the AutoDrain uses the existing valve by replacing the manual "T" handle you pull with an actuator that replaces the handle to electrically "pull" it to open and "push" it closed again?

Nice install!
Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice. Would adding a solenoid valve and the remote switch to allow for a remote tank flush be pushing the potential from cross contamination?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Dave-Oh,
That’s exactly how it works. The actuator bolts to a bracket that bolts to the valve body. It has an arm that attaches to where the T-handle was attached.

SweetBriar,
Cross contamination risk would be no greater than flushing manually. Our coach has a built in backflow preventer, plus you can also use a external one. My concern would be a system failure that would result in the tank flush staying on and overflowing the black tank. Now THAT would be a mess!
A system malfunction on the dump system is prevented with the on/off switch that removes all power. I only power up the system when we have FHU

Dave
Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

wow! Just think of the money you'll save not having to buy those disposable rubber gloves any longer.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

Why do you need rubber gloves to manually open/close dump valves?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmaster View Post
Dave-Oh,
My concern would be a system failure that would result in the tank flush staying on and overflowing the black tank. Now THAT would be a mess!

Dave
Take it from someone who knows, it IS a mess! The first time a huge mess, and the second time, a minor one. Yes, I needed it to happen twice before I started using a timer.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Why do you need rubber gloves to manually open/close dump valves?
Usually, at least for me, what precedes the opening of the gray and black tank valves requires the turd herder to be attached to the exit fitting and the other end in the sewer receptacle. Call me silly but I'd like to have a layer of protection between the contaminants that might leak a bit and my skin. Oh, and if you think that's silly, I wash my hands after removing those pesky, disposable gloves too.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
�� some day in the future forums we will see a post asking: “what do these switches do”. Won’t they be surprised when one of us actually guesses right!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #13

Nice Mod!! Thanks for posting.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Love it ! My only concern would be if the hose broke or came loose somehow. Would be quite a mess !

Thanks for the info !

My question exactly. How do you monitor your hose condition/connection. Personal experience tells me it’s necessary. Even 5 seconds waiting for a valve to close would seem an eternity. Nice idea and mod though.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve