Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post
Do I want to dump the air after I level the coach??
No I don't see why that would be necessary.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I always dump air before leveling if dump after the unit will not drop down because it's on the jacks

Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
I had a 2001 Winnebago Journey,a 2206 Fleetwood Providence,and currently a 2011 Monaco Knight all coaches would dump air with engine running.
That's interesting. Help me understand please? It sounds like you would have one set of valves (dump valves) trying to let air out of the bags, and another set (height sensor) would be trying to inflate them at the same time (assuming engine running)? What am I missing?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
On my 2005 Bounder DP there is a lever on the dash that I move to the right and this opens the dump valve. My air bags deflate. This is done with the engine running. I then proceed to level the coach. Air tanks do not lose air. When I get ready to leave the campground I start the engine and then raise the jacks and then flip the lever back to it's original position. The air bags inflate and we are good to go.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #19

I don't believe the motor has to be on to level. The ignition key has to be on to supply power to the pump.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 01 Bounder,
I can dump the air with the motor running, but only with the parking brake on. The moment I release the brake, the bags inflate even with the lever flipped.
I also dump the air before leveling.
Sonnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2000 Allegro dumps the air suspension automatically when you hit the "level" button, I have no choice in the matter. There's also a manual dump button. And none of these buttons works with the key OFF. And best of my recollection, if the jacks are down even a tiny bit, the suspension will not refill regardless of whether the key or engine is on or off.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
So if you blow the air horn and use your brakes at the same time are you in danger of reducing air pressure in your air brakes?
I would expect the air brakes to be divorced from the air suspension, etc. systems.
No, I am a retired cross country trucker. The brakes air suspension, and horn all work off the same air supply. No, there is no danger using the brakes and horn at the same time. There should be plenty of air supply . This is not a problem.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
On my rig, according to the air system schematics, there are two air tanks correlating to the two needles on the dash gauge. Primary is for the brake system and Secondary for the accessory systems.

My rig has HWH air leveling, no jacks. With the automatic leveling system off, I press the dump button and the air bags relax and the secondary tank needle declines. The engine may be on or off.

I tend to level the rig first and then dump the tanks. Most of the time level is maintained as the bags deflate.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
That's interesting. Help me understand please? It sounds like you would have one set of valves (dump valves) trying to let air out of the bags, and another set (height sensor) would be trying to inflate them at the same time (assuming engine running)? What am I missing?

When the leveler system is turned on, it orders the air bag fill valves closed, and opens air bag dump valves. In other words, it overrides the fill aspect. A simple, good design.

Proper sequence is to:
  1. Pull into site
  2. Turn on leveling system which dumps air bags (lowers coach)
  3. Level coach
  4. Extend slides
  5. Shut down engine
  6. Enjoy cold beverage
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #25

After I dump my suspension air with the key in acc position if I turn the key to on the suspension fills automatically.

Jim
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
When the leveler system is turned on, it orders the air bag fill valves closed, and opens air bag dump valves. In other words, it overrides the fill aspect. A simple, good design.

Proper sequence is to:
  1. Pull into site
  3. Level coach
  4. Extend slides
  5. Shut down engine
  6. Enjoy cold beverage
Thanks, learned something new today. Your leveling system is obviously way different from the ones I've used. My step #6 does seems to be the same though!

So getting back to the OP's question, the answer would seem to be that it depends on your leveling system!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
As there somebody on here with a Knight or a coach that would be close enough to mine that has an order in which they setup at camp.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not a problem, you won't be able to move the rig as the brakes will be locked untill the air pressure gets high enough to release them when the parking brake "button" is pushed in.
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
Hi Troy;
I am not real knowledgable on this subject myself but I have virtually the same coach as you.
The air dump is very slow and there is no "Up" button, as soon as I release the airdump switch it immediately starts filling again.
I have been shutting off the engine and then turning the key back to "on" to dump the air, this works faster and seems to be right.
I hope other Monaco owners can tell me if I am doing right or missing something.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
This may be true of your MH, but when I dump air the gauges do drop which is what you would expect since you are dumping the air in the storage tank and well as in the airbags and brake system.

BTW on my coach you can only dump air when the engine is off and I suspect that is the way it is designed to work on most MH's. How could you expect the compressor not to come on when you dump the air unless the engine and compressor are off?
On a Monaco, the air dump switch and the levelor panel both require the ignition switch to be on.
Not sure about the air dump, but the levelors make all sorts of alarm noises and won't work if the engine is actually running. Key on, engine off

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
I pump the brakes a few times this helps dumping the air.
Me too, and I like the cool noise it makes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post

Proper sequence is to:
  1. Pull into site
  3. Level coach
  4. Extend slides
  5. Shut down engine
  6. Enjoy cold beverage
Perhaps the correct order for a Winnie, but for a Monaco:
1 Pull into site.
2 turn off engine
3 mix a margarita
4 slides out
5 key on but don't start it.
6 dump air
7 level coach.