Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Dutch Star 4018 vs Allegro Bus 40

Last weekend we visited a local RV show. We toured a Dutch Star 4018 and a 40' Allegro Bus. Both units were 2015 models,loaded including " all electric" and 3 AC units. They were similarly priced. We liked both units....any thoughts?
Ziggy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:52 AM   #2

I'm prejudiced because I own a Newmar. But I would buy another if the need ever arose, but this will be the last motorhome for us. I researched both of the one's you mentioned for over a year. Even talking with owners. One recurring them came up in the conversations, Tiffin had a great after buying service, so did Newmar...BUT it seemed the Tiffin owners were going to Red Bay, AL. an awful lot to get things fixed. Two I talked to seemed to be making a yearly pilgrimage there. Sorry, but that's not what I needed to hear. My Newmar has NEVER seen Napanee where they're built, except when it was being assembled.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Going to Red Bay for service is not a necessity, it's more like a cult thing. Very few of the coaches there are for warranty services, most are there for minor serviceing, upgrades, and so on. There's quite an industry that has sprung up around Red Bay for servicing, painting, customizing, and modifications. So "going to Red Bay" doesn't always mean going to Tiffin.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #4

Both good units, I would give Newmar a slight edge. Just my opinion.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The biggest difference we noticed between the two is storage, Newmar generally has smaller, less interior cabinet storage than Tiffin.

Secondly, while both Tiffin & Newmar offer flush mounted windows Tiffin's slide open vs. Newmar's which the lower portion tilts up. Tilt up allows you to have them open in the rain but does not allow as much air into the coach... this may not matter to you but you should be aware.

Beyond that we found that many of the things standard on Tiffin's are custom add ons in Newmar.. even little things like a bedroom ceiling fan and a double sink in the kitchen are not standard on the Dutch Star.

That said, both are awesome coaches so think which floorplan works best for you personally & go from there.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #6

Although I am biased over Newmar products, I don't think you can wrong with either MH. Tiffin as well as Newmar make some great products. I would go with the best floorplan that meets your needs. Best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

The Newmar has the Comfort Drive
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We don't like the frameless windows that Newmar uses since we have two Kitty Kondos that the cats love and I haven't figured out how to make them work with those windows yet. They used to be optional so we just wouldn't have ordered them, but now they're standard. May have to do a reverse option and change out a couple to what we know will work.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #9

If all else is the same between the two coaches to you I would lean towards the Allegro bus simply due to the differences between the Freightliner chassis vs the Tiffin Powerglide chassis. I am not. have not, nor will ever be a fan of the Freightliner Chassis for a variety of reasons. I work on these AND drive them daily and I think the Freightliner is a sub-par chassis that rides horribly. The only reason it's even being used is due to it's price point and the fact that people think because it's "Freightliner" that it must be the same quality as their Class 8 Over-the-road tractor/chassis products and therefore must be good.

After driving both units you're considering I think you'll feel a huge difference. For fun and comparison find a Spartan Chassis model - you'll be surprised at the differences.

Sadly both manufacturers only use the Spartan Chassis in their highest end units such as the Tiffin Zephyr and the Newmar Essex/King Aire.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
If all else is the same between the two coaches to you I would lean towards the Allegro bus simply due to the differences between the Freightliner chassis vs the Tiffin Powerglide chassis. I am not. have not, nor will ever be a fan of the Freightliner Chassis for a variety of reasons. I work on these AND drive them daily and I think the Freightliner is a sub-par chassis that rides horribly. The only reason it's even being used is due to it's price point and the fact that people think because it's "Freightliner" that it must be the same quality as their Class 8 Over-the-road tractor/chassis products and therefore must be good.

After driving both units you're considering I think you'll feel a huge difference. For fun and comparison find a Spartan Chassis model - you'll be surprised at the differences.

Sadly both manufacturers only use the Spartan Chassis in their highest end units such as the Tiffin Zephyr and the Newmar Essex/King Aire.
Dittos on the Spartan chassis. I love mine and have driven Freightliners. What a world of difference. Too bad that Newmar has chosen to only put the Spartan's under their higher end motorhome's. If they were smart they would put them under their mid priced rigs just like they used to. The best riding and driving chassis that I have driven is the Roadmaster that Monaco produced till they went bankrupt and sold out. That chassis went bye-bye when Navistar bought the company and many loyal Monaco owners will not buy the new product because of that. Newmar could capture that market if it would go back to the Spartan chassis on it's mid to high end rigs, IMHO, the Spartan is a very close 2nd to the Roadmaster in handling, ride and driveability.
I have a Mountain Master Chassis and would have a problem with purchasing a new Dutch Star on a Freightliner.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2014 Dutch Star and really like it. Recently, we looked at just the exterior of a 2015 Allegro Bus at the FMCA Rally in Oregon. I thought the paint was nicer than Newmars and I like the integrated roof line, but I'm not sure if that comes on the 40'.

With that said, Newmar now offers the integrated roof line on the Dutch Star. They also added some lighter colors in 2015, especially along the roof line where the heat is a killer. For us, only Newmar offered a tag axle in a 40' coach, a must have for me. I also like the Comfort Steer. There isn't a lot of hoorah about it because you get so use to the coach handling well in the wind, that you don't think about it. It would be another must have for us now.

Lastly, I previously had a Monaco Diplomat with the Roadmaster chassis. After adding Koni's, sway bars, adjusting the ride height and adjusting tire pressure, it was a nice riding coach, even though they have always been known to be a little rough.

I think the Freightliner chassis works as well as the Roadmaster and is smoother. I think older Freightliner chassis' were not as smooth as noted above, but the new ones handle very well. In reality, you can only do so much with two long pieces of steel with a rear end at one end and IFS at the other. This is my first Freightliner chassis so time will tell. I've never had a Spartan or driven a Spartan. I'm picky, but I think either chassis would be fine. The same with the coaches. I think the top three (and most popular) are Newmar, Tiffin and Entegra. American coach is good, just not as popular.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #12

4018 vs 40' Allegro Bus

I too am interested in these two models and am concerned about the Freightliner. But, the 4018 is on a tag Freightliner chassis while the Bus is a single axle. I understand from someone that bought one at the show that the 4018 has a CCC(cargo carrying capacity) of 11,000lbs and the Bus is only 500lbs. I verified the 11k number from Newmar literature but could not verify the 500lbs for the Bus. That seems awfully low to me. I don't know what our junk weighs now but probably around 500lbs. I don't like capacities sitting right on the limits, no margin. Anyone know the CCC of the 40' Bus? I know this is only one thing to consider in a comparison like this.

Jim Boguslaw
2007 Country Coach Tribute
Jim Boguslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think you meant 5000 lbs CCC on the bus. The difference between the two is the tag axle. It becomes kind of a meanlingless comparison because you lose all storage space behind the rear axles on the Newmar. Tiffins have a great reputation for useable storage space.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think "luvlabs" is correct about the CCC on the Allegro Bus and 5K would be more than enough. to haul your gear.

I disagree though that you lose everything from the rear wheels back. The more correct statement is you lose the space the tag axle occupies. The reason I say this is, both coaches have DEF and the huge exhaust system on one side and the side radiator on the other.

It's all about what you want. I had a 36' DP for nine years and loved it. It was difficult to sell because I had it exactly the way I wanted it. We decided we wanted something with a little more interior space and a few must haves I've always wanted, including a tag axle and engine brake. We also wanted something that would take us another 10+ years without issues.

My Dutch Star has a lower height in the main pass thru bay than my Diplomat did. Overall, it didn't really give me a lot more storage than my 36' Diplomat. I gained between the two, half of a full bay.

My main goal was to have an unused area (now that half bay) so that I could add things for individual trips. One trip, it holds our inflatable kayak. For our Yosemite trip it holds a ton of firewood. Unless you have some really unusual storage needs, the 4018 will haul everything you want.

Again...they're both good coaches.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star