Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

DZ license road test

i am about to go for my DZ road test and will take the class a motorhome - holiday rambler diesel coach - but my question is this - will i have to measure the push rod ? why does it say to bring a means of securing brake pedal ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can you say a little more about what the DZ road test is and where it is that you learned you'd have to measure the push rod or secure the brake pedal?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll have to ask someone in Ontario about your truck driver with air brake test.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormama View Post
i am about to go for my DZ road test and will take the class a motorhome - holiday rambler diesel coach - but my question is this - will i have to measure the push rod ? why does it say to bring a means of securing brake pedal ?
Can you not get by with just the Z endorsement added to your G license? To the best of my knowledge, an RV is not considered a commercial vehicle therefore not requiring a D license. If you have a 36ft gas coach on juice brakes you don't need a D license. Also, you just have to do a written test for a Z endorsement.

Now, after I've made my comments......I live in Ontario and assumed you do too.
Mark
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

am also in ontario - for diesel coach of more than 24000 lbs weight - you need the D as well as the Z air brake endorsement - which requires a medical, a written test and then a road test - i believe this is fairly new requirement within the last couple of years - was just hoping someone else out there had already done it and could give me tips............
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi all:

I live in ontario and took only the Z not the D as my vehicle is not a commercial vehicle. Taking the D license means that you have to keep a log book, can only travel so many hours in a day and have to weigh your rig on the weigh scales. This class of license is only meant for commercial vehicles and if one gets a ticket they can contest it in court based on this fact. As for your first questions in order to measure the push rod you have to apply the brakes so you will need a stick to keep the brake pedal down. Good luck on the test. I paid $250 to a truck driving school in Hamilton who was allowed by the ministry to test us right there. My wife and I went to the weekend course and got the license right away. Much easier than the ministry route.

cheers
dennis

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39, Cat 330 2 slideouts
Luv2journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I will 2nd what Luv2journey said I got my Z endorsement on my G Ontario drivers license, because my motor home is not a commercial vehicle, try to get a direct answer from the Ontario MTO and all you will get is a run around,I feel the D license is just a money grab by the MTO
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #8

You definitely need D if your vehicle is more than 11000kg and you definitely need Z if you have air brakes. Doesn't make any difference if commercial or not. There is a new law (july 2011) that includes a new covenant where if your trailer is more than 4600Kg but the combo of towing and toad are less than 11000kg then G is OK. If towed (including a 5th) is more than 4600kg and combo is more than 11000kg then you need A.
See this document:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...hicle-info.pdf
Having said this, I have DZ and found it easier to do Z first (separately) and then D. Both D and Z include a circle check. Z is done in parking lot and D inlcudes a on-the-road test. You need wheel blocks to do circle check and you need a service brake wedge so you can verify brake lights.
Not a lot of people know this but when you do your circle checks (for both D and Z) you can use a check-list and run your finger down the list as you do your test.
With DZ you need a medical form at the on set and a Z written test every 5 years.
With AZ you need written test and medical on regular basis.
Hope this helps!
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #9

many thanks

i especially like the confirmation that i can take a checklist with me, wish i had taken the z endorsement seperately, but my test for dz is already booked and paid.....so wish me luck
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If the D license is not required for your particular coach they will not let you use it for the test.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
There are a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Quote:
... only the Z not the D as my vehicle is not a commercial vehicle ...
This is not correct; as motormama, DBeauchamp stated, if you are an Ontario resident and drive a DP, you most likely need a D class license (or higher) as well as the Z endorsement. The restriction is purely a weight one and has nothing to do with the vehicle being commercial or not. Check the back of your driver's license - if you have a G, it will say 'CLASS/CATEGORY automobile/combin. - (max 11,000 kg)'. This is the maximum weight (actual weight on the road) of any vehicle you are allowed to drive. Pretty much any DP will be over 11,000 unless it's very short (or stripped of all furniture, tanks, etc) meaning that you are not licensed to drive it with a G. This is a very common misconception and I've asked the local RV dealership if they had any recommendations for training to get a DZ and they told me that I didn't need it for a motorhome. There are some provinces (e.g. QC, probably others) which give exemptions to mhs drivers from having "commercial licenses" to drive mhs but not in Ontario (in Ontario it's not a "commercial license", it's a license that allows you to drive a "large (commercial) vehicle" but that's not all it allows you to do).

Quote:
If the D license is not required for your particular coach they will not let you use it for the test.
I do not believe that this is quite correct (although it's a technicality); I called the DriveTest location and was told that you can do the D test in any vehicle that has a GVWR over 11,000 which means that you *could* need a D license to drive it. However as far as the licensing is concerned, it's the actual weight on the road that matters not the GVWR so if the vehicle is currently under 11,000kg, you can drive it with a G (e.g. you can take an empty large moving truck for the test. Empty they are typically quite a bit under 11,000kg (so you can drive it with a G) but have a loaded have a capacity over 11,000kg and are plated as such).

Quote:
... Also, you just have to do a written test for a Z endorsement ...
This is not correct. The Z endorsement has a written portion (which has to be completed and passed first) and a on-road test (which has to be done within 1 year of the written test). The easiest way to do it is to take it at a licensed community college and then you don't have to do the road test because it's part of the 'Class Z endorsement course' but they are suppose to do something like the road test during the course.

As far as the OPs question, during the road test, they can pretty much ask you to do anything mentioned in the MTO Ontario Air Brake Manual (which is why you have to specify if you are doing the test for trucks only or for truck / trailer combination) so they can ask you to measure the pushrod for out of mechanical limit (or whatever the call it). They can also ask you to adjust the slack (pretty much all motorhomes have automatic slack adjusters so you can just answer that but you might need to tell them how its performed (simply applying the brakes fully will do it (e.g. during your pre-trip air brake air retention check)). In practice, I don't know what they actually ask although I've heard from a truck driver that they sometimes do ask this sort of thing (last time I spoke to a truck driver friend of mine about it, he had just failed the Z endorsement test (has to be retaken every 5 years or so (might be more for commercial) and they asked him to do some check that he did not want to do (I think he wasn't actually allowed to do it as it was a truck that belonged to his work and the drivers are not allowed to perform this type of maintenance on the truck brakes even if the Z endorsement can test it). In case you didn't know what the "bring a means of securing brake pedal" means, I'm not actually sure what it is but to measure the pushrod, you need to measure it with the brakes released and then measure the travel with the brakes applied - since you're under the vehicle doing the mesuring, you need 'something' to keep the brake pedal pushed. Whether this 'something' can be another person that's pushing on the pedal while you measure it or it's an actual device that fastens to the brake pedal and keeps it pressed, I don't know.

Just to add a bit more information. You do not need a medical report to get a Z endorsement but you do need it to get a D class license (I can't remember if you need it before you can even take the written test but you might). The medical report is valid for 5 years (might be more frequently if you are over 65 or have a higher class license (I think A requires annual medicals)) BUT it must be brought to the DriveTest location within 6 months of the test. If you do not bring it to them within 6 months, the medical report will not be accepted and you have to get another one (i.e. they keep it on file for 5 years but only if they get it within 6 months). You can do the Z and the D portions of the road test at the same time and I believe you save on some of the road test fee by doing it this way BUT they will test you on the Z first and if you do not pass that, they will not allow you do complete the D first (e.g. if you fail the Z, you can't try the D test, if you pass the Z, you can then take (and pass or fail) the D test). As motormama mentions, you can (and should) take a checklist with you. I've also been told that you should voice all your checks while you are doing them (e.g. if you are checking your cut-out, cut-in according to your checklist but don't actually say something like "Checking cut-out, cut-in on governor ... I just detected cut-out at 115 psi ... I just detected cut-in at 85 psi ... So the cut-out, cut-in are within operating range ", you can fail the test even if in your opinion, you did the checks (I think you can fail it even if you say the values but don't actually conclude by saying 'values are in range' (note that I'm note sure if these values are proper)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #12

I passed DZ in 2001. I needed a medical with my application, have not needed another one since. With the A licence I think you need a medical every 5 years.
I have had to go write a test about 3 times since so I suspect it's every three years, I get a form in the mail.
When I originally passed Z, there was a 'circle check' which was done in the Ministrie's parking lot, I did not go on the road. I passed D a few weeks later, there was a circle check in a parking and a road test.
I was not asked to check slack adjustments as I said they were automatic...
I did bring a piece of 2X4 which I placed between the driver seat and the brake pedal, you then move the seat forward to push on the brake, I remember using it to test the brake lights...
There is a good youtube video on the Z endorsment test:
Air Brake Practical Test - YouTube
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the update and the correction on the Z regarding 'road test' vs 'circle check' (I haven't done it yet and I was simply told I have to do a written test and a road test for the Z but they probably mean the 'circle check' when they say 'road test').

Thanks for the info on the 2x4 too! I was actually wondering what I can use for that!!!