Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #15

My NY EZpass is blue. It is listed as R6, for a 6 wheel < 7000 lb Rec Vehicle. Although my MH is over that weight, they don`t list that option.

I do not have a white one, they asked me to send it back.

The tolls seem to count axles, because they know when to charge, when pulling the toad.

Or, I never went thru a toll with out my toad

All good

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of speculation and bad info here.

Here are the facts:
  1. You must have the proper tag for your motor home (depends on number of axles, weight, and state regulations) and for your car. You may NOT use them interchangeably. If you do, the system will bill you improperly and if you underpay using a car tag on the RV, you are in violation of state law with EVERY use. Which "plan" you end up on or type of tag is dependent on the state you get it in. Just be honest with the agency and get the correct tag for your vehicle.
  2. You should NOT put the tag for the toad in the window when towing. EZ Tag equipment is standardized across all states, and bills for the towed vehicle automatically. Make sure the tag in the toad is mounted with the velcro so you can remove it while towing it. When you are towing, the EZ Tag system will bill you for extra axles in the vehicle class your RV's tag is in, which is the way you'd be charged if you payed cash. Depending on the state this might be more or less expensive than the two cars seperately, (mostly it's cheaper) but regardless that's the correct billing.
  3. You do NOT have to do anything different in another EZ Tag state if you are compliant with the regulations in the state your tags are from. If you buy your tags in NH and use them in NY or NJ you don't have to do anything different to be legal, provided you use them per the laws in NH.
  4. It is true that some states make getting the right tag much more complicated than others. I found New Hampshire to be very simple. I got rid of my NJ tags because I realized, after some research, that I was in violation of NJ regulations, and because NJ charges a fee to your account every month...NH doesn't.
  5. One exception to the above. If your vehicle(s) are registered in one EZ Tag state, I'd avoid buying tags in another EZ Tag state. You should follow the laws of your home state and get their tags (unless you never spend any time there). I'm a resident of WA which is not an EZ Tag state, so I can really buy them anywhere. If you really want to buy them in a neighboring state, and you're not sure if you are legally able to do so, be sure and ask someone in your state's EZ Tag agency.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I'm also from NJ. Don't know official rules but I just use my regular ezpass. Make sure one in toad is removed. Don't have both. I have used in nj, de, md, pa, ny and had no issues or fines.
we do it the same way.
tlaffourtit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #18

Do I need one for the towed car? I got EZ pass several years ago near Chicago and have used it on three different New England trips. When at an RV park or friends I'd take the EZ pass out of the RV and use it in the car if we were going on a toll road. Never gave any thought that I might be charged different for a car vs motorhome. I do remember I needed to list all the vehicles with Illinois EZ pass.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #19

So did I, until they shut the pass off and the toll light said call EZPass.
It was a real problem on the NYC bridge tolls, with gates.

All legal now
Old 02-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #20

Could not figure out NJ EZ Pass Web Site, so I registered my A class as a van over 7200 lbs. We'll see when I get home from Florida if I was right
Old 02-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
I have MASS E-Z Pass. One transponder for the RV & Toad (4 axles) and a separate one for the Toad (2 axles). Keep the Toad ONLY transponder in a anti-static bag in the Toad glove box with no issues. JM2...
Same here. The Mass account is easy with no extra fees. If you don't have the toad transponder in the shielded bag when towing, you will be charged double for the toad.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
A lot of speculation and bad info here.

Here are the facts:
  1. You must have the proper tag for your motor home (depends on number of axles, weight, and state regulations) and for your car. You may NOT use them interchangeably. If you do, the system will bill you improperly and if you underpay using a car tag on the RV, you are in violation of state law with EVERY use. Which "plan" you end up on or type of tag is dependent on the state you get it in. Just be honest with the agency and get the correct tag for your vehicle.
  2. You should NOT put the tag for the toad in the window when towing. EZ Tag equipment is standardized across all states, and bills for the towed vehicle automatically. Make sure the tag in the toad is mounted with the velcro so you can remove it while towing it. When you are towing, the EZ Tag system will bill you for extra axles in the vehicle class your RV's tag is in, which is the way you'd be charged if you payed cash. Depending on the state this might be more or less expensive than the two cars seperately, (mostly it's cheaper) but regardless that's the correct billing.
  3. You do NOT have to do anything different in another EZ Tag state if you are compliant with the regulations in the state your tags are from. If you buy your tags in NH and use them in NY or NJ you don't have to do anything different to be legal, provided you use them per the laws in NH.
  4. It is true that some states make getting the right tag much more complicated than others. I found New Hampshire to be very simple. I got rid of my NJ tags because I realized, after some research, that I was in violation of NJ regulations, and because NJ charges a fee to your account every month...NH doesn't.
  5. One exception to the above. If your vehicle(s) are registered in one EZ Tag state, I'd avoid buying tags in another EZ Tag state. You should follow the laws of your home state and get their tags (unless you never spend any time there). I'm a resident of WA which is not an EZ Tag state, so I can really buy them anywhere. If you really want to buy them in a neighboring state, and you're not sure if you are legally able to do so, be sure and ask someone in your state's EZ Tag agency.
I think what you're saying is consistent with what I've read, and I wanted to know peoples actual experience. I appreciate your comments, and I think the earlier post about New York's rules (up to 3 transponders) is what I have read. Just wanted to add a bit of what I had read on the Illinois I-Pass website:
"Can I use my regular I-PASS when I tow a trailer or drive an RV?
Yes. In fact, the technology in the open road tolling lanes will automatically calculate and deduct the proper toll. You no longer need to use the cash lanes or purchase a special transponder."

One of the additional questions I might ask is how the various E-ZPass options affect what you actually pay. I think that was highlighted in the post where an Illinois I-Pass was used on the east cost, and the price seemed high.
WYRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #23
WDW

Question ... On a Class C do you put the transponder behind "the rear view mirror" like you would in a car? Can it read it?

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #24

It works behind the mirror on my class c, that`s where they said to put it.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #25

Tricotec has it correctly stated. I live in PA and here you need commercial tag because of the weight of your RV. While the tags look the same, they are different than an automobile or pickup truck tag and you are charged more because of the additional wear & tear on the roads. Automobile tags can not be used in your RV. In fact you can not use a tag specified for 1 car in another unless it is registered for both cars. If you are towing behind the motorhome, either a vehicle or a trailer, you'll need a different tag because you have more axles. Thus, I have registered 2 tags for my RV, one for RV only and another for towing.

The EZ Pass system is interchangeable in most states. Florida it is not. There you'll need an E-Pass.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshew View Post
I live in PA and here you need commercial tag because of the weight of your RV.
The one thing I would say is different from my understanding is where you are allowed to get an E-ZPass. My understanding is that you can get an E-ZPass (or equivalent, like I-Pass) in any state, regardless of where you are a resident or have your car/coach registered. Although you should probably avoid having two E-Zpass' for the same vehicle/license plate.

Just like PA, NJ strictly speaking requires a commercial account for a Class A (>7,000#), however NY and Illinois do not.
WYRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #27

WDW we also have a Greyhawk and the transponder on the windshield would not work. We have the entertainment system in the bunk area. We called EZ-Pass and they sent us two transponders. One with a toad and one without a toad. The transponders are installed where the license plate is. As an FYI we can also not get a GPS signal in the cockpit for the same reason.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #28
WDW

Is it a different transponder or did you modify yours and install it there?

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote