Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
E-ZPass question

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm not sure there is a clear view about the best E-ZPass option for a Class A pulling a toad. I'd like to know everyone's thoughts, and share some of my research.

We're getting a new Dutch Star in June (our first Class A), and will be pulling a Honda CRV. We'll be throughout the east coast and midwest, so E-ZPass is really useful. We currently have E-ZPass in New Jersey, but my research shows you need to get a commercial account in New Jersey if you have a Class A. Also looks very confusing if you're pulling a toad. New York looks a bit better, but you need to prove your Motorhome ownership, and it seems confusing as well if you're pulling a toad or not.

When I looked around, it seems Illinois' I-Pass is the best option. Doesn't seem to matter if you put your tag on a Motorhome by itself, a Motorhome pulling a toad, or a toad by itself. They charge based purely on number of axles. No annual fee, but a $10 deposit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm also from NJ. Don't know official rules but I just use my regular ezpass. Make sure one in toad is removed. Don't have both. I have used in nj, de, md, pa, ny and had no issues or fines.

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I think charges are based on state you are driving in, not where you bought the ezpass. Some charge by axle, some by weight. I just go through express lanes and system seems to figure it out.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
X2 on nothing special, the system reads the Ezpass transponder,
and then counts the axles and bills you accordingly. You should
register the license plate on the coach with Ezpass. This allows
you to go thru Ezpass lane, even if you forgot to put your
transponder on the window. They will photo your plate and
look up your account, truly ez.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the I-Pass and have gone out east with it. It worked but our tolls from With to D.C. were >$100 each way. I've been told we need to get the blue EZ-Pass but haven't found consistent info on what to do. Each state seems to put different info on their website.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EZPasses are transferable between vehicles. You must register all your vehicle license plates on your EZPass account. When you use your EZ Pass in the RV your toad will be included and you won't have to worry about camera's taking photo's of your license plate.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
EZPasses are transferable between vehicles. You must register all your vehicle license plates on your EZPass account. When you use your EZ Pass in the RV your toad will be included and you won't have to worry about camera's taking photo's of your license plate.
I tried that in NY. It worked for a few months, until they caught me at a Thruway toll ( Must have been a scale ) and made me get a BLUE commercial one.

Don't know about other states.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It worked for a few months, until they caught me at a Thruway toll ( Must have been a scale ) and made me get a BLUE commercial one. Don't know about other states.
That seems to be the case. The rules are unclear, and in many cases you get away with it...until you don't. Very interested in everyone's actual experience.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
We have the I-Pass and have gone out east with it. It worked but our tolls from With to D.C. were >$100 each way. I've been told we need to get the blue EZ-Pass but haven't found consistent info on what to do. Each state seems to put different info on their website.
Not sure where you're saying you came from, but what would you have expected a reasonable toll rate to have been each way? As you said, it worked, but maybe the east coast states charged a strange rate?
Old 02-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #10

Having a transponder in both the motorhome and tode

I have a transponder registered to the motorhome and a transponder registered to the toad what happens if I am towing the toad and go through an ez-lane with both transponders?
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
I have a transponder registered to the motorhome and a transponder registered to the toad what happens if I am towing the toad and go through an ez-lane with both transponders?
I don't speak from personal experience, but from my research it seems to depend on the state. For example, in New York there's some indication you might need two transponders (maybe even three). One for when you're towing the toad, one for when you're not towing the toad, and maybe one for the toad itself. Of course, as others have said, it seems the rules are made to be bent or broken. For your specific question, however, all that I've read says if you're towing the toad, you should not have a transponder in the toad, only the coach.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have MASS E-Z Pass. One transponder for the RV & Toad (4 axles) and a separate one for the Toad (2 axles). Keep the Toad ONLY transponder in a anti-static bag in the Toad glove box with no issues. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #13

I made that mistake and were charged twice. I appealed it and got a refund for the toad.

I used their statement, showing a 4 axle toll at the same time as my car going thru.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I tried that in NY. It worked for a few months, until they caught me at a Thruway toll ( Must have been a scale ) and made me get a BLUE commercial one.

Don't know about other states.
In NY if you are towing a toad, you need a BLUE transponder (not commercial) which notifies EZ-Pass that you are towing. Both the motorhome and the toad are charged (2X total) at the car rate as long as you have registered the motorhome with NY EZ-Pass.

When driving the coach by itself, I have a WHITE transponder, which charges only the coach at car rates (I have registered my coach with NY and get charged the car rate). This transponder is registered solely to the coach.

My toad has its own transponder which SHOULD NOT be in the car when towing, or you will get charged again. I put it in the metallic bag provided by EZ-Pass when towing. When driving solely the toad on the thruway, it does it's thing.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote