Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #15

100,ooo miles used to be the life of a vehicle, so you did ok since its 20 years old almost. Ford remans have 2 years parts an labour. Keep the fluid fresh, change it every 30-40 thou.E4ODs are pretty tough.Repairing it may be cheaper tho.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
100,ooo miles used to be the life of a vehicle, so you did ok since its 20 years old almost. Ford remans have 2 years parts an labour. Keep the fluid fresh, change it every 30-40 thou.E4ODs are pretty tough.Repairing it may be cheaper tho.
Ford remans are 3 yr unlimited mileage.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I would never use a Jasper transmission again. Both dealers I worked for tried Jasper and they have been nightmares with reliability and warranty payment (actually every good tech I talk to says the same). Ford Reman with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is the only way to go IMO. If by any chance you have an issue, take it to a Ford dealer and they have to honor the warranty and you wont have to worry about making up the labor difference as you might have to with Jasper. BTW the Ford transmission will be about the same money from what I have seen.

With your problem it is usually a torque converter and seal that all is needed. Unless the bushing is worn out, the pump should not be an issue. I have not seen an issue with a pump with your symptoms. A larger cooler is a must IMO with the E4OD transmission as they had small coolers. The upgraded 4R100 does have a larger cooler which seems to work very well.
I totally agree. I dealt with Jasper years ago for engines and transmissions. Even when I bought their highest line of products it was a crap shoot. Some worked out fine while others were a nightmare.

When there were problems all they wanted to do was replace the product, and that was after either a rep came out and inspected it or it was shipped back to them for inspection and approval. It all added up to weeks of wasted time and unhappy customers. At that time they wouldn't pay the garage labor to replace a defective part. Needless to say if more than 1 in 100 transmissions or motors were bad or needed repair the garage wasn't making money.

Buying a Ford remanufactured transmission isn't cheap, but it's money well spent. Over the years I've only seen 1 go bad, and that was because someone used the wrong transmission fluid.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Ford remans are 3 yr unlimited mileage.
Not in Canada. We get 24/40kms and the trannys are shipped from the us . Canada gets the shaft again.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Not in Canada. We get 24/40kms and the trannys are shipped from the us . Canada gets the shaft again.
I had no idea that was the case with Canada. The American side does not deal with that because Oakville takes care of the Canadian prior approvals. Figured it was the same on both sides of the border.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like other's have suggested, stay away from Jasper as well as the normal repair shops, you have no clue what they will or will not do and what they charge for which is hidden when the transmission is re-installed. From a reputable previous employee of the ENGINE/TRANSMISSION CHAIN, they have three different color grades, all @ different prices, all bearing the same rebuild, that's bad business to say it politely......... Go to FORD AUTHORIZED DEALER ONLY, they built it and will stand behind it across the country, JMHO, good luck and travel safe.
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #21

Also ask for a Heavy Duty Torgue Converter, as IMO - the TC is undersized for RV duty.

Cooling and more positive shift profile, will also help make this the last auto needed for this RV.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #22

E4OD Tranny

Thanks for all of the great post's, lot of great info.
We (wife & I) are still trying to get to an agreement on local shop or Ford. Do any of the senior members that live in (Seattle or South Sound) WA State have any recommendations or experiences with Ford dealerships that do this type of work?

Thanks