Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

E4OD Tranny

Well, a new post from Bulldog (has been a lot lately).

Took a 4 hour drive, ended up at a campsite in Plain, Wa. Very rough campsite which included dry camping. Got the MH into position and there it was no tranny engagement. Pulled the dip stick and found no oil registering on the stick, found oil trail from a stopped position to final campsite. It took 8 quarts to get level up and for trans to engage. Got her back home, no oil loss on the trip home and trans worked fine.
After entering the driveway (we live on a hill) found oil leaking (again). Talked with local transmission shop and this what they say has happened;
"fluid bypassed the front pump seal..it will happen again usually under a load. sometimes hot and sometimes we see it happen backing up as well. we have never had any luck just doing the seal because usually the front pump is the culprit . so why do the pump and torque convertor on a high mileage trans and risk other problems"

The shops recommendation is a re-manufactured Jasper transmission with a new oil cooler. So, my question is have any of you had any experience with Jasper re-man transmissions?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

I would never use a Jasper transmission again. Both dealers I worked for tried Jasper and they have been nightmares with reliability and warranty payment (actually every good tech I talk to says the same). Ford Reman with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is the only way to go IMO. If by any chance you have an issue, take it to a Ford dealer and they have to honor the warranty and you wont have to worry about making up the labor difference as you might have to with Jasper. BTW the Ford transmission will be about the same money from what I have seen.

With your problem it is usually a torque converter and seal that all is needed. Unless the bushing is worn out, the pump should not be an issue. I have not seen an issue with a pump with your symptoms. A larger cooler is a must IMO with the E4OD transmission as they had small coolers. The upgraded 4R100 does have a larger cooler which seems to work very well.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Jasper generally has a pretty good reputation. I personally have never used their product though. As suggested in the post above, a Ford Reman might be a better choice. Suggest you peruse some of the Ford pickup forums an transmission overheating and pushing fluid, especially when backing up and overheating the unit. A transmission temperature gauge and an additional transmission cooler may be good investments. If your problem occurs primarily when you are backing up and jockeying around, you may not need a replacement tranny. I had a similar problem with my early 99 F-250 PSD and 4R100 transmission. I towed with it another 40,000+ miles trouble free until I had it rebuilt and bullet proffed by Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hill, Arkansas.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #4

During their school days, my kids had an old clunker with a leaky slipping tranmission that would cost more to replace than the car was worth. I called my cousin who operates an eight bay repair facility, and was advised that he had a number of customers in the same situation who reported great sucess with Lucas Transmission Fix. So . . . with only $16 to lose, the kidz changed the fluid, dumped a jug of Lucas stuff in the tranny, and then drove it half way across the continent to school, and ran the car for the next four years without any further tranny problems.

Consistently positive reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10009-Tr...RankDescending
Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with Brians Trucks Shop (BTS) in Arkansas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #6

These guys are good also, Holtville, CA
John Wood Automotive - Services
and as stated in Lead Hill, AR
Brians Truck Shop
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

Yup, front pump and converter needed. The bushing in the pump gets worn and allowes the converter to shift and leak profusely. I to suggest a ford reman, you get free labor for any problems with there crate mixmasters!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #8

I have a 94 MH with E4OD trans with 680000 miles no problem at this time but would like to know the mileage on your 94 MH?
53panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Check with Brians Trucks Shop (BTS) in Arkansas.

Ken
x's 2. Brians Truck Shop
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53panhead View Post
I have a 94 MH with E4OD trans with 680000 miles no problem at this time but would like to know the mileage on your 94 MH?
I would be adding a bigger trans cooler. It seems like every E4OD trans I had come in with a front pump seal issue, they were pulling heavy loads or going up steep hills. I suspect the added load causes higher temps that seem to aggravate the issue.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
53Panhead. WOW. 680,000 miles. Your MH should be in Ford ads. Fords Forever.. Eddie Elk.
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #12

Sorry, 68 thousand miles, 68,000 miles but wish it were many more.
53panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #13

My 94 Bounder has 101,000 miles on it.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #14

Outstanding responses here to your post re E4OD. I agree with those that suggest bigger/additional trans oil cooler....heat is death to an automatic trans. And the E4OD has historically had a problem handling too much heat. Other than that, it is a good one.

Please let us know how you make out on this....it should prove helpful to others. Thanks!