Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Early morning starts

I'm a little curious about what is the polite way to start the day.

When we travel we usually try for an early start. 6 or 7 A.M.

When I park in the evening I dump my air before leveling, so the next morning I have to fill the air tanks.

The question is; should I start up and let it idle slow and quieter for longer or turn on the cruise control increasing the idle speed, and the noise level, for a shorter period of time.

What is the consensus as to the best way to be a good neighbor at Sunup.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I try to NOT dump the air unless it's really needed. Most times I just leave the suspension up. The MH is actually more stable with the bags aired up anyway.

On my rig I can increase the idle speed in about 25 rpm increments. At about 750-800 rpm the air pumps up pretty fast without making as much engine noise as the "high idle" circuit.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #3

Why dump the air if you are leaving the next morning, just more work for the compressor plus it takes longer. If it is cold out use the block heater for about 30 to 60min. Then dump holding tanks if needed pull slides in start unplug heater leave.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How long does it take to air up. Mine can get the air up and I can be be easing out in about 5 minutes.

Some folks seem to think the engine should be at full temp before moving.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

If I'm just overnighting and the coach is close to level, I won't dump the air or use my jacks.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
just overnighting I do not dump air. I have start engine just before leaving drive slowly out the camp while engine is warming up.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #7

We tell the ones at each side , sorry in advance but we will be pulling out real early, Did our part.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
If we are going to extend the slides we always dump the air, lower the jacks, shut off the engine and extend. To leave we retract the slides, start the engine, air up the suspension and raise the jacks. It only takes a few minutes to get air pressure after starting and this time should be used anyway to warm the engine. The reason we follow this procedure is that the jacks operate much more smoothly when they are extended after airing down and vise versa. Also, it is a requirement on our coach to be level when operating the slides.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
To answer your question....If I were parked next to you, I would rather you do the slow and quieter. Either way is going to make some noise, but the DW would have a better chance of sleeping through the quieter.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I'm a little curious about what is the polite way to start the day.

When we travel we usually try for an early start. 6 or 7 A.M.
Hi Keith,

The fact that you've asked tells me you are a considerate guy. By that time, I'll be 3-4 hours into my day so you won't bother me at all!

I agree with the other comments - basically, get everything as prepared as possible the night before and then get out as quick as possible (safely and all that). I don't feel a need to idle for warmup (gasser) as I usually idle all the way out of the campground.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Question if only stopping overnight why pay for a campsite? I'd be using Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc then it doesn't matter how you start off in the A.M. you've got no neighbors to disturb.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have found this is part of enjoying RVing... I love to camp and meet people at different places.., I know there are many folks that LIVE at places I stay and they have chosen to do this.. I do not mind that the RV next door is headed out today!!! Now I know there are respectful ways to depart and I believe most folks honor that! To be honest I have had neighbors at my stick house i longed for one of us to depart!!! Lol.... there are far more benefits to our camping and this is a minor deal!!! GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Starting and idling a engine isn't the noisiest activity. Do whatever you need to in that area. 90% of people in CGs sleep past your departure.
What irritates me is the loud voices yelling out communications and instructions. Slamming doors is not a favorite either.
I actually like to get up early to experience the quiet time while everyone else is asleep.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #14

There is no polite way. There is always somebody that will be irritated. On the other hand, there are ways to make yourself more problems when you are purposely or inadvertently inconsiderate of those around you. But, this is a moving target. Key is to change your behaviors rather than insist others change theirs, within limits.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote