Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #1

East Coast Travel

We are looking to travel from our home in Fairbanks to the east coast. We have never been very Far East of the Mississippi but would like to travel to New York and DC. We will leave Alaska the end of September and be in the east around October 10. We have a 40’ Dutch Star and pulling a Cherokee. What are the availability of CG”s close to New York and DC. What advice can you give to greenhorn’s wanting to go there. Or should we stay away! Recommend tours or travel on our own? It’s a scary venture for us.
All advice welcome.
Jweymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
hi, the further north you are going to be in NY the early the CG's close I suggest you research where you want to go and call CG to ck on status there are so many beautiful places to see
in NY and the tri-state area or for that matter the eastern US you'll love it! NY gets a bad rap but its a beautiful state not much help but I wish you safe travels & GOD BLESS THE USA
roadking1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The nearest cg to the metro DC area is Cherry Hill as I remember. They can shuttle you to the nearest public transport station. We are booked there in Sept. agree with above, NY is a very pretty state. Arriving there a bit earlier would be very helpful for cg’s and beauty.

BTW, we did AK last year and flew North of the Arctic Circle out of Fairbanks. Neat experience. If you can make it to Northeast TN, stop by.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #4

Hi,
I live outside Philadelphia and frequently travel the East coast in a 34 ft gasser pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did a trip at the end of October last year thru Pa, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia and had no problem finding campgrounds open. If you have time, I recommend camping around Gettysburg and touring both the park and the Eisenhower farm. Then it is only a short two hour drive to Harpers Ferry. Camp there, explore the town and maybe hike a bit. You can catch a commuter train for day trips into DC from Harpers Ferry.
There are many wonderful campgrounds in Virginia and we enjoyed visiting Monticello as well.
wbyeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

I live in southern NJ and would suggest Cherry Hill campground outside of Wash,DC just up the Potomac. Might be a little pricey but you get great access to the metro station to take the train into DC to see the sights. BTW get the Uber or Lyft app on your cellphone and you can go anywhere. If you are adventurous you could drive into DC and park and then do the sights. Some folks get a little intimidated by the volume of traffic but I'm pretty much used to it. Same thing for New York City. In New Jersey is Liberty State Park which is the closest and most convenient way to go into NYC. Not cheap and pretty much a glorified parking lot with hookups but for doing NYC something you can put up with. I would suggest using one of the On/OFF bus tours to get your bearings and get to see the highlights of both cities. After seeing the highlights you can decide which attractions you really want to see and go back to them.
I'm going to be in DC in October for a Navy conference and will go back to the Smithsonian air and space museum over by Dulles Airport. Love that place. Enjoy the trip.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #6

Check out Va while you're in the neighborhood, lots of history in Williamsburg area. Are you pulling a toad? If so there are some nice CG in Fredricksburg area.
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #7

So much scenic beauty and history in the northeast. However, unless you have lived in southern California, nothing can prepare you for traffic along the I-95 corridor from Washington DC to Boston. If you can stay west of I-95 and the DC Beltway with your MH and drive the toad to the sights. Unless you get there early in the morning, there are very few places to park on the street near the National Mall in DC. Drive to an outlying Metro station, park, and take the Metro into DC.

Yes, don't miss the beauty of upstate NY, say north of Poughkeepsie. Puts you in the Catskills. We have camped at the KOA near Woodstock (west of Kingston & Saugerties). The Rip Van Winkle CG a couple of miles north of the KOA is nicer, but it's always been booked up when we wanted to go.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Make sure you get an EZ-Pass for the tolls. Doesn't matter which state you get it from; it's good everywhere north of NC. Some states have a bit cheaper rates for their EZ-Pass like MA but that doesn't add up to much. NY & New England campgrounds close in Oct. Do some research, but if they're open they won't be full.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #9

I would agree with Cousin Ed that the EZ Pass is a really good idea. The NY EZ Pass is free and you just need to provide an active credit card number. NY has special rules for RV's that can reduce your tolls substantially. Check those out before you order the EZ Pass.

Campgrounds in Upstate NY can be hit or miss after the Columbus Day weekend. Many will close prior to the first of November. Your best bet would be to come to Upstate and New England a bit earlier. Be aware that would also mean getting reservations ahead of time as many campgrounds fill up with the Leaf Lookers in the fall.

Tags
east coast, travel