Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

Easy fix for Onan Quiet diesels.

We were in freezing temperatures and the generator would not start.

After returning home and doing some investigating I determined that all three glow plugs had failed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	197990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	197991

This problem is very easy to test and repair with a multimeter and a few hand tools.

The problem is that no one stocks these glow plugs and it can take one to three days to order them in. I suggest having a set to fit yours in case of emergency.

Generator starts and runs better than before especially after running fuel treatment and doing a complete service.

Also found a small rats nest in the breather box and will be fashioning a screen to protect the intake hole beneath.

I hope this is helpful to someone in the future.

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did you test by measuring resistance from electrical connection to ground with your ohmmeter?

If so, what is the correct/proper resistance for a good glow plug?
Or did you just test for an "open"?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Did you test by measuring resistance from electrical connection to ground with your ohmmeter?

If so, what is the correct/proper resistance for a good glow plug?

Or did you just test for an "open"?

I just tested the hot feed terminal while holding the cold start button before actual crank, making sure I had power. Then removed each glow plug individually and connected to the power source with threads on ground, the plugs never got hot. I tested each new one the same way and smoke came off them instantly and became very hot.

I never tried resistants Im not sure what reading I should get but these things were gone.

Another quick test to see if it is glow plugs is disconnect the plugs feed and spray a very small amount of brake clean in intake, if it starts, probably a glow plug issue.

Never spray starter fluid or have glow plugs powered or you could get a fire.

Rick
Old 04-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Commercial Member

i got ngk glow plugs for my onan at napa auto parts. had them in stock.
if you test the plug with voltage, make sure the very end of the tip of the plugs get hot, and it heats up evenly for most of the heating surface. if the very end of the tip doesnt get hot, and it heats up part way up. its also a bad plug.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i got ngk glow plugs for my onan at napa auto parts. had them in stock.
if you test the plug with voltage, make sure the very end of the tip of the plugs get hot, and it heats up evenly for most of the heating surface. if the very end of the tip doesnt get hot, and it heats up part way up. its also a bad plug.

I called all my local parts stores including Napa, minimum next day by noon, they all claimed they don’t stock glow plugs anymore.

I ordered them through Napa no problem but closed on Sunday.

I tested the tips on an old rubber hose for heat instead of my finger.

Keep in mind I ruled out intake and fuel delivery first.

Thanks

Rick

Tags
diesel, onan, quiet