Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We bought one on eBay a few years ago and had it delivered. There were no issues. There are lots of sellers on eBay, and I'm sure some of them are shady, but we didn't have a problem with the one we dealt with. Actually, there was one problem. The seller was a small dealer in the same state. We paid for new plates, but instead received a signed title to transfer the motorhome to our names. I had to send it back and have them get a new temporary plate. They were used to dealing with out of state buyers. It took a while, but they did get our new plate and title.

kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
Purchased my '97 Holiday Rambler DP off of Ebay in May of 2010. I studied pic's carefully and had seller send extra pic' s of roof, ceiling and windshield. Best advice I have is so homework and spend the money on a carfax. Good luck

Bamashell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #17
Here is a couple of suggestions.
TALK to the seller BEFORE bidding. If possible, have it inspected prior to bidding. If a deposit is required, make sure it is refundable (in writting) if the unit is not as advertised. Everyplace have campgrounds nearby. Have the seller agree to let you spend a day or two with the unit at a nearby campground (at your expese). This lets you check out all the systems in real time use. If the seller is reputable and truelly represents his unit, he should agree to most of the above. If not look, elsewhere. But again, TALK and get agreements before bidding. There are many, many units for sale today, so don't spend your time and money without some assurances from the seller.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
I've been successfully buying and selling stuff through eBay and Craigslist for years. If you approach deals with a "buyer beware" attitude you should be okay most, if not all of the time. My experience is that photos lie. Regardless of how great is the seller's camera and photo-taking ability, nothing beats a visual hands-on inspection and even then, you may miss something.

I would never buy a big ticket item sight unseen, but I did recently agree over the phone to purchase a rather expensive used SuperGlide FW hitch based on the seller's representation. Sure, there are frauds out there just trying to get your money for nothing, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the honesty of most people. My most recent experience with purchasing the FW I'm sitting in while typing this response was that the sellers actually underestimated the condition of the unit and took lousy photos. As a result, I thought we were wasting a one-hour trip to go see it. But, it ended up being the cleanest 10-year old unit my wife and I had seen, and in near perfect condition. The owners were meticulous. In fact, we're trying to keep it in as good shape after hosting several grandkids while at the beach the past few weeks LOL.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Thor Owners Club
We have had three great experiences with eBay, though never actually buying there.

Several years ago, shopping for our first Class A, we found a floor plan we loved at a local dealer, but unrealistically priced. We saw a similar coach on eBay, showed the "Buy It Now" price to our dealer, and said we'd drive the 600 miles to go get it. He swallowed hard, but matched the price to get the sale.

A couple of years later, wanting to upgrade to a DP, we found one we liked (at a dealer) on eBay, out of state but within driving distance. We went to see it, negotiated a price, and bought it (but not in an eBay transaction). Remember, many dealers advertise units on eBay, but they remain for sale on their lot.

The third time, shopping for a boat, we found one we liked at a repo/wholesaler, who advertised it on both eBay and Craigslist. Called him up, negotiated by phone, and put down a refundable deposit subject to inspection. Drove 800 miles, took a test drive, drove home a boat.

We love eBay as a shopping tool, but still prefer to buy the old-fashioned way.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #20
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
E Bay is a great "Virtual" Used Car lot. And also a great Online store/Flea market

I have bought and sold several vehicles and LOTs-O-Stuff there.
Vehicles bought:
  • 1990 International 4600 Ambulance (City of Highland Heights, OH)
  • 2003 Alpine Coach (Desert Autoplex)
  • 2004 Kawasaki ATV (Private seller)
  • 2005 Thule Trailer (Private Seller)
  • 2006 Honda CRF450R (Sindt Honda)
  • 2007 Polaris ATV (Private seller)
  • 2008 Honda CRF450R (Sindt Honda)

Vehicles Sold:
  • 1990 International 46100 RV conversion
  • 2003 Honda CR250R
  • 2006 Service Honda CR500RAF
  • 2008 Honda CRF450R

Every one of these experiences were great, as I
  • Did my homework, (understood what I could reasonably expect)
  • Gave no money until I inspected the unit,
  • Inspected the unit thouroughly

Still, as with ANY used vehicle..."STUFF HAPPENS"
International eventually needed injector pump and batteries
Alpine eventually needed tires, batteries, minor repairs
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #21
Remember to check the "sellers other items" then once at that page...look at "completed listings" you will find many of the eBay RV flippers selling with no reserve, have sold the same exact coach 1 or more times in the past...now it could have been legit...buyer didnt have the $$ to purchase or buyer refused once seeing the coach, the seller schill bid the coach in an attempt to increase selling price....Use caution...and do everything you can to protect yourself. If seller doesn't answer direct questions (ie: tire age? air bags or springs? etc) there is a good chance something is being hidden from you. If they won't agree to specific pics...move on to another seller. Ebay has quite a good deal for an RV seller...and it makes it quite attractive for the scam sellers to move junk on unsuspecting buyers
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only thing I would suggest if you are buying private party on e-bay and the price sounds too good to be true you should definitely trust your instincts. I saw a newmar that sounded great and the price was great. I asked the seller for additional pictures and noticed the pictures were from different but similar rv's. I would say that is definitely a red flag. They also had no selling history and they wanted the funds wired. You would probably be wiring them to Nigeria.
AppleValley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought a '95 Southwind on Ebay. Was a decent price. Flew out to Ohio. Walk through was comparable to the description. Paperwork was already set and I drove it 600 miles home with no problems. Since then there have been more things required than I expected to pass out local inspection, plus a few "surprizes". That being said, I'm been very pleased with the purchase (the largest that I've ever made on eBay). I suggest that you approach with caution, but good deals can be found.
Mainehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #24
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Came close last week on a Monaco DP. Rig was 36' with 4 slides which we like and had a 325 cummings which I also like. Resrve was not meet and I was high bidder. Dealer called and his buy it now price was $93,000.00. We felt it was a good deal but was $20,000.00 more then we wanted to spend. Will keep shopping. Got some good tips from yall, thanks.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
Forest River Owners Club
We bought our 1999 Fleetwood on Ebay, 4 months ago. No problems other that what you would expect with a used vehicle. Dealer was about 150 miles from us, so we could drive down.
Russ & Melody
Tehachapi, CA
2005 Forest River Georgetown 37'5", Ford, 3 slides
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Bought a 98 Winnebago on Ebay, seller provided detailed video as well as several conversations and discussions. Unit was more than advertised, drove it home some 1300 miles, no issues, then took a 3800 mile trip two weeks later, one issue with a worn water pumpfor the coach., but otherwise great MH at a fantastic price. Will do it again when we are ready to upgrade, as others have said, use a refundable deposit, inspect and enjoy.
2005 Winnebago Vectra, 20 foot enclosed car hauler with a Mini Cooper S convertible inside, look for the big Betty Boop on the back,and two Westies Maggie and Buddy.
Catcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
My wife bought an old gasser on ebay a few years ago, which was our first class A.
It was sold by an ebay dealer in Phoenix area. She bought it based on pics only.
My son was in Marine Corps in CA at the time. He picked it up for us and stored it on Camp Pendleton until we flew out to drive back.
Turned out to be a good deal for us. Had to get new tires and other minor repairs, but I am handy with those things.
We went from FL to west coast twice in it, and then sold it for about what we paid, not counting repairs.
Sealevel Ram, 2004 Ultimate Freedom
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Sealevel Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #28
I put a deposit on a motorhome in Georgia; drove 450 miles to pick it up; it was advertized as like new, when I got there; picked it up and drove to the nearest campground to spend the night. Thats when I gave the motorhome a realy good going over, I found duck tape that was painted over to cover up rust spots on the inside of the storage compartments. went under it and found rust everywhere; ( later I found out the owner had lived in a beach front home) took the motorhome back; owner was not happy, but I did get my money back.

As always its buyer beware.

melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote