Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Not a lot of RVs to choose from up here in the frozen north, but it looks like there's lots to choose from down south.

Has anyone any experience purchasing a motor home through Ebay?

Barbara and Jim

AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I've bought three RVs over the net. I saw all 3 on Ebay then contacted the seller after the item closed for a negotiated sale price. I was pleased with the process. I also purchased several vehicles from ebay seller auctions. Be cautious & look closely at the sellers feedback. Numerous
sales with 100% positive feedback should be reasonably honest.
Safe travels...

JOE.. LEO(ret.)-active USCGAUX-
ck. our website:www.overmountainsams.com
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Sold three mh's and two cars by starting out on eBay. With something like these folks want to see it first before committing to buy. Good source for making a contact.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Avoid Ebay

Avoid Ebay. Go here for a good start. This place offers "consignments". You will get a good feel for prices on makes, models, and lengths. Cheap prices on "specials".

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
When you get a chance to dance, or sit this one out......I hope you DANCE!

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
I also bought a motorhome that I originally spotted on an ebay for sale ad, and then ended up waiting until that and other consignment contracts the seller had open were expired. I think ebay is a great tool to use when looking for a used rv, you get a decent feel for prices, and you get to look at and get to know lots of different manufactures and models. When it comes time to purchase however I would be very cautious. If it was close enough to see before bidding it might be ok, but pictures almost always look better than reality. If it was too far to inspect pre-bidding then unless the seller was willing to make the deal subject to a complete inspection and test of the unit, with any deposit returned if the inspection failed to meet expectations, I would not buy one there.
2004 Newmar KSDP 3353
Surrey B.C.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally. I'd never buy any RV without a personal visual inspection.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought mine in 09 from e-bay. It was a no reserve auction, I placed the min. bid. Toward the end, I was afraid I might lose the unit, raised the bid, no one else bid, I won. The seller asked for a $500 refundable deposit if the unit was not as advertised. I dove a toad from the Spokane area to Lake Tahoe to inspect and complete. It was as advertised and we drove it home. A happy camper, I got the 04 Horizon ~ $50K under book. The seller is a liquidator if you want his name send me a PM.
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
We were in the same boat, way up in the frozen North land. We purchased our current MH on ebay. We only looked at MH's from dealers. After spotting our current MH, we called the dealer and felt good about it. Flew from Alaska to Dallas, loved the MH. bought it and drove it home, 4,095 miles.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club
Just re-stating the previous caveats. Avoid bidding on RVs that require "non-refundable deposits." There is probably a reason they want a non-refundable deposit and it isn't because they have faith that you will LOVE the RV once you arrive to pick it up. I have purchased 3 mothrhomes (& several cars and pickup trucks) on Ebay. The first one required a $10,000 non-refundable deposit. I was naive and agreed. When we went to pick up the coach (a two day drive from our home) it was in relatively good cosmetic condition, but that was the only positive thing and basically nothing on the coach worked as it was supposed to and it had "snow tread" tires on the front wheels that were nearly bald. It was either lose $10,000 and back out of the deal (the deposit money had already been wired to the dealer's account) or pay the additional $15,000 owing and take delivery. We ended up taking delivery and the rest of the story is a nightmare but it was a learning lesson (that cost another $10,000+ when all was said and done). So, again, if a non-refundable deposit in any amount is required if you are the winning bidder, I would suggest just move on to the next EBay listing and forget about that one.
Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
We've bought two motorhomes on ebay. Both were great purchases.

My advice is to really figure out what true market value is for the coach, which is NOT seller's asking prices. SELLING price is what's important. Then knock off about 20%, and have that as your target purchase price. Make sure the seller has excellent feedback over an extended period of time. By buying under real market price, you have room to do any unseen repair work needed. And of course, never put down a deposit (maybe $500 or so) until you see and inspect the RV. Plenty of photos will insure you don't miss something obvious like bad tires, interior leaks, etc.
2012 Montana 3582RL
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found ours on EBay and contacted the seller - they ended the auction early and we negotiated from there....Daybrosrvsales.com - they're in Kentucky. We had a great experience with them overall and would recommend you look over their inventory. In all cases I would either hire an inspection company to look it over, or make sure you have the ability and agreement to walk away once it is seen personally...just makes sense!
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 35LS - Ford F53 Chassis - Life is a Journey and Everyone Should Enjoy Theirs
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
We found our coach on the internet, (not Ebay ) but I'm posting to say the pictures don't tell the hole story. We traveled a lot of miles to look at coaches that looked good in pictures but not in person. Ask for the VIN numbers and engine serial number on the first contact so you can do some checking before you travel. I wouldn't put up a non-refundable deposit. If the coach is in the advertised condition a small refundable deposit, that only guarantees you will come look at the coach if they hold it, should be more agreeable.
skibum61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
eBay is just like any other community, there will be the good, the bad, and the ugly. Many good points here....eBay opens up a wider opportunity to link buyers and sellers. We have bought and sold numerous vehicles, including a coach on eBay, and have respected that eBay is a business and completed the transaction there. They provided the opportunity, they deserve their fee. As others have stated, any reputable seller will allow or even encourage your or a third party's inspection before the deal is completed. Any seller hiding behind a non-refundable deposit policy knows something that they don't want you to find out until the coach is yours!
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
Our present coach was bought sight unseen from an eBay listing after it didn't sell. Pictures and seller feedback were positive. Contacted seller and negotiated the deal and sent a refundable deposit. He picked us up at the Dallas airport and spent several hours going over all the systems, and even loaned us his car so we could get supplies before driving it back home. It helped that we knew about this particular coach model and had looked at similar ones before, so no surprises. Altogether satisfactory.

We also previously had bought a truck from an Alabama eBay dealer that worked out well. Exercise due diligence.

'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote