RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ebike Storage question

Wife and I are thinking about getting a couple ebikes and wonder where we would store them. Seems if we keep them outside, even with a bike cover, the weather will ultimately rust them. Can't keep them in the coach and the toad is too small.

Are we out of luck or not thinking of something.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Wife and I are thinking about getting a couple ebikes and wonder where we would store them. Seems if we keep them outside, even with a bike cover, the weather will ultimately rust them. Can't keep them in the coach and the toad is too small.

Covered, locked and weather protected storage for sure. If the weather doesn't rust them someone will certainly try to steal them.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #3

storage

Pretty much the same aany other bike at a campground we covered and locked ort bikes before upgrade to ebike same after. when traveling they are covered also
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:

Fits in the trunk of most cars:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/ebike-...admini-review/
Old 01-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
Pretty much the same aany other bike at a campground we covered and locked ort bikes before upgrade to ebike same after. when traveling they are covered also
Do you feel like a good cover will protect them from the weather long term? I thought I would keep them up, off the ground 4 inches or so as well as keep the bike oiled to prevent rust.

I've looked at the foldable bikes but they seem to small for us and we would like a more, upright, riding bike.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #6

We have two Cannondale e-bikes since last spring & they go everywhere with us on a platform rack. I racked up 200 miles week one. We are avid cyclists but we don't full time. We use draw string "wet storage bags" for boating to cover the important stuff. Of course the batteries & computer are not on the bike when transporting. At a CG they are locked just under the bedroom slide so that keeps them dry. Our older non electric bikes went everywhere for 20 years with zero cover and there is no rust on either of them. The e-bikes are a BLAST & they allow for longer & faster riding if that is your cup of tea.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Do you feel like a good cover will protect them from the weather long term? I thought I would keep them up, off the ground 4 inches or so as well as keep the bike oiled to prevent rust.

I've looked at the foldable bikes but they seem to small for us and we would like a more, upright, riding bike.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
We have Prodecotech Stride 400M bikes. Had them for about a year or more now. They ride oneither the rear of the coach or if towing our car then they are on the back of the car. We use a Swagman XC cross country rack in either case. Nice rack bikes sit in tire supports not hanging. I bought a nylon cover from amazon for 2 bikes to cover them while on the road and also at campgrounds. Then only problem i had with the cover was first time i used it I just used the 2 straps attached to the cover to secured while traveling, that didn't work well. Since I have a length of parachute cord and i lash the cover down around the bikes so wind can't get up inside the cover while driving. That works well , we have traveled in some heavy rain (summer time in FL ) and bike are dry. They are under same cover when not in use at campground. EBike pretty much like any bike you need a little dry lube on the chain and shifter cassette etc. I always take the removable battery out when traveling to reduce weight on the bike rack and most every night take battery out also. When on the bike rack they are locked to rack and hitch. Locked at campground at night

The Prodecotech bikes are pretty nice built in USA (of course some parts are from outside of US). They are solid decent quality parts in them like Continental tires and rims. SAmsung battery and charger, Shimano gears, has a shock front fork. Not a beach cruiser but a Hybrid ( road bike you ride upright). www.prodecotech.com

Not the cheapest ebikes but certainly not the most expensive either. Take a look
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #8

We purchased two Pedigo E-bikes 18 months ago and have about 3,300 miles on them. We have ridden them on the beach and in the mountains in sun and rain with no rust. They are well maintained and kept covered at the RV and when on the bike rack. A water-resistant motorcycle cover using bungees to prevent flapping protects them. They do have the mag wheel option so spoke rust is not an issue. Best purchase ever made!!!
JIM 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We have folding e-bikes that fit perfectly in the back of our CRV. Free from weather & safely locked away. Ours are an upright riding stance, not bent over.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #10

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...=12&gws_rd=ssl
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #11

We had two folding ebikes that could not be left out in the rain, so a bike rack on our tow car was out. I found them to heavy to stow and pull out of the bins each time we wanted to use them. I sold the bikes but am open to getting some better non folding types that can be towed in the rain on a bike rack.

T-9 will prevent rust if used every couple of months. I had 2 folding regular bikes on our boat and lathered them with T-9 every couple of months and got no rust. Our current manual non folding bikes are out in the weather all the time and no rust using T-9.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #12

I keep both of our rad power bike minis folded up and stored in the storage bays.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #13

I've had a Prodeco for about 5 years now although I don't take it with me on the back of the rv. Many of the ebike drive hubs are not waterproof and are not covered for water damage under warranty. If you take it along, keep it dry and stay out of puddles! A friend had a water damaged drive hub and it was an expensive repair.

gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage