Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #15

Before we sold our 87 Allegro I would put it's appearance up against anything out there. Except for some dings on the exterior is didn't show its age. The inside would put most people to shame considering it was 25 years old before we sold it to a friend. When we were looking at newer rigs I kept comparing them to mine and trying to explain to dealers that their units were trashed compared to my old one. It took us a year to find a 2003 26' Chateau in the shape I wanted. We also got it for 60 cents on the dollar to retail and 20% under low Nada. It helps to understand what to look for and how cash talks.

Even though our new rig is within the 10 year rule I really don't know if I would care if that came into play. I am the customer and I can just move on. I can understand if someone has a High Profile park and wants to exclude older rigs OK. As for resale it's all about condition, condition, condition. And a bad conditioned unit will always find someone who hasn't a clue.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see it having an impact on resale in the overall market. Only because I don't think there are that many CGs that or have or have a habit of enforcing it.

Perhaps a savvy buyer who has been the unfortunate recipient of MH age discrimination might negotiate based on his personal experience.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
No effect either IMHO ...
the rv's are not the only things getting older...

so are the RV parks
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt it would affect the price at all, most parks that have the 10 year rule are usually fairly high priced parks, that a lot of us don't care to spend that much to stay at those parks. So far we've never come accross a park that has that rule.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I would think the lack of Financing on 10 + yr MH at lower rates would be a larger factor in the price Dropping at that point.
You are correct, check with any dealer they will echo this fact!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I'm not asking about experience re. not getting in to campgrounds etc...that's been done to death!

My question has to do with such effect as may or may not be felt in the resale market.

Nada guides show a fairly precipitous drop in Mohos older than ten years...I wondered if anyone thinks that campground age restrictions have anything to do with that phenomenon.
Well, since you put it that way, my opinion is I don't think it matters at all except to those few people who might have been asked about their RV's age once upon a time.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I'm not asking about experience re. not getting in to campgrounds etc...that's been done to death!

My question has to do with such effect as may or may not be felt in the resale market.

Nada guides show a fairly precipitous drop in Mohos older than ten years...I wondered if anyone thinks that campground age restrictions have anything to do with that phenomenon.
I don't think it would.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Resorts with the 10 year rule that have accepted our cash to park our now 18 year old rig in the past 8 years:

Outdoor Resort Indio (Many times)
Pacific Shores Newport (before bankruptcy and revival) (3 times)
Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort (three times)
Cocopah RV Resort (once, never to return again)
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I would think the lack of Financing on 10 + yr MH at lower rates would be a larger factor in the price Dropping at that point.
X2.
Not many buyers have cash to purchase any RV.
I have noticed Good Sam and some credit unions have less than 10 year age requirement for loans. On their websites both Essex and Bank of America have a less than 7 year requirement.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
X2.
Not many buyers have cash to purchase any RV.
Last 3 RVs we bought have been cash. The trick is to buy what you can afford, not what yours eyes want to keep up with the Jones.

Ken
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I understand that a resort property would not want abused rundown RV's at their resort but setting a 10 year old rule is bad business. There are a lot or nice looking well maintained RV,s out there with great folks that will spend their hard earned cash on their vacation.

There are plenty of nice places to stay that do not discriminate based on age. I personally would not give them my money if they do.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #26

Don't know, Don't care. The reason my wife and I have a MH is we hate dirty motels and we like our privacy. We would just as soon stay in a Walmart or a truck stop or rest area. We don't really care for the so called social atmosphere of the crowded campground, with all the people who want to get away from it all while they sit around with each other watching the football game on the sat. tv. So if some fancy campground wants to restrict themselves to newer MH's, fine ,we will find a parking spot in the boonies somewhere and enjoy. As far as resale values, I do not think it will make any difference. Something like that will have no effect on a multi-billion dollar industry.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #27

I asked a campground about that rule and they told me it was more for the odd customer that comes in looking like the Beverly hillbillies then they would have an excuse not to let them park there
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubetcha View Post
I asked a campground about that rule and they told me it was more for the odd customer that comes in looking like the Beverly hillbillies then they would have an excuse not to let them park there
I think you wanted to post this here Rigs older than 10 years old - Restrictions
As this is the thread disscusing what is going to happen to your value due to this.
This just might be the diplomatic explaination