RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
EGT

I installed a pyrometer on my 2001 Journey with the 5.9 275 hp Cummins. I had to install the extender since it's a pusher. I installed the probe on the exhaust manifold before the turbo. I have seen temperatures up to 1500 degrees which causes great concern for me. I use gearing and rpm's to try and keep it below 1350 but on long climbs I'm still hitting the high temps. Would appreciate any input you experienced diesel runners may have. By the way, I am flat towing a 2012 Equinox.

Journey32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #2

Believe Cummins recommends no more than 1350 F. for extended periods.
You will need to shift down even more. Any time your foot is to the floor, you stand a good chance of high egt's. So downshift till you can maintain speed and have a good amount of throttle available. With your weight, might even be first gear.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

The Journeys have the radiator and charge air cooler stacked together. A lot of gunk can build up on them that doesn't get cleaned out unless the radiator is removed so cleaning can be done from both sides of radiator and CAC. It is a big job but about the only way to be sure things are really clean.

Getting the radiator and CAC cleaned out has helped to reduce excessive temperature problems for others.
TCollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey32 View Post
I installed the probe on the exhaust manifold before the turbo. I have seen temperatures up to 1500 degrees which causes great concern for me.
Is the probe "On" the manifold (some people just strap the probe to the manifold to read manifold temp) or is the probe "In" the manifold (in a drilled-tapped hole) reading actual gas temp?

What is the temperature reading on the gauge during light load, flat highway driving?
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi,

I'm interested where this thread leads. We have a 97 Holiday Rambler with the 5.9/275HP and tow a 19 equinox! I however do not have the pyro on mine...yet! Might be something I have to look into though. If you don't mind, were you having issues that caused you to install it or just additional info?
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
A little background. I've not had much power since I bought the coach in 2008. I guess I didn't know that, because I didn't really have much to compare it to. Everyone told me I should have lots of power from that 5.9 engine so last fall I had a mechanic check to see if everything was like it should me. He told me I had a bad turbo. I told him to change it and I was so tickled to think I might be able to make some of the grades at 45 mph instead of 25. $1500 later, no change in performance. I was a very unhappy camper. The mechanic's response. "Boy, this doesn't have much power does it?" No refunds, no nothing.
I found a module that would add 65 hp so I ordered it. Cummins says the absolute most hp the 5 speed Allison could handle was 300 hp. So 275 and 65 is 340 hp. The vendor said they have sold 100's of them for the 5.9 RV's over the years and not one complaint. So I ordered it.
I was worried about the high EGT so this spring I installed the EGT probe (drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold), installed the extender and pyrometer along with removing the transmission pan and installed a probe for the transmission temperature gauge. Next step, install the module. As I was moving cables and wiring out of the way I found a hose with a hole blown in it. Some of the good members of this forum told me it sounded like it was the hose coming from the compressor to add the boost to the intake. It was. $50 and an easy replacement job, I had power like a new engine. What a difference. I tried to return the $400 module but they said it had been too long. So, I decided to install it . The coach runs sooo good, but now that's where I'm getting the high EGT temperatures. The highest temperature I saw on the transmission was 150.
From the response I'm getting, I think I will remove the module and just be content with the new power I have.
I want to thank everyone for the input. Gene
Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Another comment I received was about the radiator getting plugged up. It did happen to me a few years ago. Very high engine temperature and I didnt know why. Found out the radiator find were 85% clogged up. The slobber tube (engine crankcase breather tube)*drops down out of the engine. The oily fumes roll out and right back through the radiator. Drive a dusty road, and the dirt cakes on there. More fumes, more dust. After I got the radiators all cleaned up, I bought some heater hose and ran a new breather tube*to the back of the coach and down just in front of my bumper mud flap. No more problems. I do spray them with Simple Green periodically and spray hose them down good.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Wow, so you've had this coach now around 11yrs. or so. Good for you. And you've been busy too.

I know when we we're looking for a FT coach we drove like 4hrs. to look at this one particular 38' DP up in the Texas hill country. It had a 300hp cummins. Never driven a 300hp before. We took it for a test drive with the owner in the passenger seat and I couldn't believe how little power it had. I mean it took quite some time to gather up any kind of speed. I thought to myself, "man just trying to get onto the freeway would be a death defying act of bravery". We passed on buying that coach.

I said all that to say, I completely understand why you did that HP mod and good job BTW.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #9

Yes, ditch the module and stop worrying about EGT. You’ll sleep better.