Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #15

About 10 years ago I was talked into saving a bunch of money by putting "truck" 19.5 tires on my Holiday Rambler. The tire dealer, who I have known for years, said there would be little difference, a huge savings, only I would need to use about 110psi instead of 85. OK, I saved.
The ride became so stiff if I drove over a dime I could tell if it was heads or tails. Ok a slight exaggeration. But the ride was uncomfortably stiff and the steering was more difficult. Basiclly, it was horrable.
After a few short trips I was about to bit the big loss and get RV tires. As luck would have it, we went to the Pomona RV show, saw a new MH we "loved" and just traded the old one in.
I will stick to RV specific tires in the future. If I can't afford them, then I can't afford to maintain the rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
About 10 years ago I was talked into saving a bunch of money by putting "truck" 19.5 tires on my Holiday Rambler. The tire dealer, who I have known for years, said there would be little difference, a huge savings, only I would need to use about 110psi instead of 85. OK, I saved.
The ride became so stiff if I drove over a dime I could tell if it was heads or tails. Ok a slight exaggeration. But the ride was uncomfortably stiff and the steering was more difficult. Basiclly, it was horrable.
After a few short trips I was about to bit the big loss and get RV tires. As luck would have it, we went to the Pomona RV show, saw a new MH we "loved" and just traded the old one in.
I will stick to RV specific tires in the future. If I can't afford them, then I can't afford to maintain the rig.
The PSI should have stayed the same, or with-in 5 psi.. .. The 110 pounds is what created a majority of the rough ride..

Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
VP

As to "big boy" tires I can't say. But just this past week I ordered 6 Bridgestone R187 Metro 8R-19.5's for my 30' Southwind. Out-the-door cost with tax at local Costco was $1,404 ($222.95/tire + tax) and they honored the current coupon booklet $70 Bridgestone instant rebate (expired today). However, the sales person told me that Costco's tire rebates run on an 8 week cycle and the next one will be on Michelins'. Since Costco will not install, I will pick them up next week and have them installed at local tire shop for $25/tire. Checked several other sources including online and none could come close to Costco's price. My old tires were 8-10 year old Bridgestones with lots of tread but with some sidewall cracks. I religiously use tire covers when storing but at their advanced age it was definitely time. When I got mine, I saw lots of 22.5's listed in the Costco tire sales book. If you need "big boy" tires, you might check with Costco.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I bought lighlty used 22.5 michelin xrv tires for my rear axle. I bought date codes of 2008 in 2010 so they were only 2 years old, all four were out back of the tire shop in storage, got them for $225.00 a peice. They are the recommended tire for my R.V and so far I have put 6,000 miles on them with no issues, I have no Idea how many miles were on them already but the tread depth was good...if you search around you may find a deal on good name brand lighly used tires...just a thought.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see that Les Schwab carries the Double Coin and I think I'll see about a price for replacing my drive tires. They are going into their 6th year and I did replace the fronts last year with Michelins from them and that was a major hit to the pocketbook.
Their sizing is an 11R22.5 and they have a dual capacity of 6390 at 123PSI.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Many thanks for the replies, keep them coming--

As for Double-Coin, I've seen them on many semi's. Our houseboat trailer has Double-Coin's on it, I think 2 of 4 tires. They're only 15" but I think they're rated near 6000# load capacity. They don't get much use but they sit in the weather, and not a sign of rubber cracking or checking. I'd buy a set in a heartbeat...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #21

I've got 14000 miles and 3 years on a set of Triangle steer tires and they look as good as the day they were put on. Been up and down the east coast no problems and I would buy them again. They are 245/70R19.5.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just purchased our 2000 Newmar Mountain Air. It has about 26,000 total miles. The tires are Double Coin and we were told they are less than 2 years old and not many miles on them. We have a very noticable bounce as if they are out of balance, a wheel is bent, a tire is out of round, or something. I had the balance checked on both front ones and they were ok. The wheels are ok. I have since had a Spartan Service center give me their thoughts. They even checked out the driveshaft balance and are of the opinion the tires must have flat spots from sitting for some time. I have since been told by several sources the tires from China are notorius for developing flat spots and common they are "out of round".
I am getting ready to buy new tires.
Any thoughts to my dilemma?
Also, they are 275/70 X 22.5, I have an opportunity to buy a set of Michelin 275/80 X 22.5 XZA3 with only a few hundred mile at a good price.
Is there any problem going to "80" from "70" and are these good tires?
Thanks for any input.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin38 View Post
We just purchased our 2000 Newmar Mountain Air. It has about 26,000 total miles. The tires are Double Coin and we were told they are less than 2 years old and not many miles on them. We have a very noticable bounce as if they are out of balance, a wheel is bent, a tire is out of round, or something. I had the balance checked on both front ones and they were ok. The wheels are ok. I have since had a Spartan Service center give me their thoughts. They even checked out the driveshaft balance and are of the opinion the tires must have flat spots from sitting for some time. I have since been told by several sources the tires from China are notorius for developing flat spots and common they are "out of round".
Also, they are 275/70 X 22.5, I have an opportunity to buy a set of Michelin 275/80 X 22.5 XZA3 with only a few hundred mile at a good price.
Thanks for any input.

Negative thoughts on ANYTHING from china is, in some circles, the norm, and expected. That's MY thoughts to your dilemma!

At one time, after WWII, the same thoughts, arguments, and negativity was the norm about anything Japanese. And again when they started buying up anything American, including Hawaii.

Enough ramble from me!

Ed
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Not just Chinese tires, the current Michelin under my butt has a distinct "thump" going down the road. I haven't been able to discern why. A few years ago our '78 CruiseAir a thump developed up front, I was running Yokohama's. While turning left the thump felt like driving into a hole, so I got out and had the wife move SLOOOOWWLLLYY forward while I watched the right front tire. Took a sec to notice it, but in about a 12" long section the tread made a very slight "S" curve: The cord had shifted. I moved a driver up front and bought a used Michelin to replace the driver. Within a month second Yokohama did exactly the same thing. Cord shift is probably the "flat spot" people think they have 95% of the time.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I just switched from Michelin Pilots to Goodyear Assurance on my Audi.. the steering wheel vibration no one could find a cause for went away..

Its any tire that can cause problems..
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin38 View Post
Thanks for any input.
Have your tires date code checked... could be older than you think..

Ditto on the 'only feww hundred miles' ones.. Could be they were damaged and thats why they were taken off..

Going from 70 to 80 means a taller tire. make sure they actually fit without rubbing.. Your Speedo will also be off..
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #27

I ordered Goodyear 265-75R22.5 RV tires for the back of my coach last fall. Got them for $1700 for 4 delivered from Ebay store "East Coast Tire" in N Carolina. My friend that owns a tire shop couldn't match the price.
Kjlunda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Which model Double Coin tire are you guys using?

Tags
tires