Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
"El-Cheapo" tires, any real-world experience?

I keep reading, and I keep hearing "They're okay for your drivers, but don't put cheap tires on your steers"...

So, has anyone been brave enough to PUT cheaper rubber all around? And what has been your experience?

I've heard SEVERAL horror stories about 'name-brand' rubber-- Michelins, Yoko's, Continentals, Goodyear, Bridgestone... Been a victim of all the above except Bridgestone myself. Enough times with Goodyear that I won't have them. And I've never owned a Bridgestone...

But I rarely hear ANY stories involving Raggamuffin's, Cheaparubba's or Waitintoblow's...

(well, with the exception of Carlisle trailer tires, which seem to have a higher failure rate than success rate!)

Our Allegro needs new rubber before Memorial weekend. I got a quote for some wrong size 9R-22.5 "Triangle" tires, $2250 out the door. I guess that's not horrible but I know where I can get some other 'no-names' for about $250 each. And I'm not sure I want to buy tires from a place where the 'tire professional' says the 9R "is the ONLY suitable replacement size for the Mich 255/80"... Umm... dude, have you actually looked it up? They're too tall, WAY too narrow, and only come in a "G" load rating...

Anyway, for the next 10 years we'll only put about 500 miles a year on our rig. Since the tires will be shot by then anyway, I see no real reason to spend money on "brand name" tires, especially considering I've had troubles with most them over the years anyway...

Tire stories, good or bad, let's hear 'em!

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Anyway, for the next 10 years we'll only put about 500 miles a year on our rig. Since the tires will be shot by then anyway, I see no real reason to spend money on "brand name" tires, especially considering I've had troubles with most them over the years anyway...

Tire stories, good or bad, let's hear 'em!
I appologize that I can not add any real-world experience, but I agree with your logic.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

I just put six new Double Coin tires on my 26000 lb rig. Put one on driver about six years after taking out a tire getting too close to a sharp rock and everything wet fine.

I researched the Double Coin tires on the Internet and found some positive indications from some heavy commercial tire users. I put some R150's all around, 22.5's at that!

After I retired from the Navy I went trucking, and during that time the company I pulled for did an experiment with tires, purchasing expensive, and el cheepo tires. The end result was . . . no difference in fuel usage nor blowout/service calls.

Due diligence is required I suppose.

Ed
Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Your logic appears sound to me. But, I really like my Bridgestone tires and the Toyo tires previously.

Most brand name tire conclusions are based on a single incident and not the result of scientific study of cause of incident or average results of a sample of users.

Try the cheaper tires. You may like them.

I tried Toasted Oats instead of Cherrios. They tasted fine and are considerably cheaper.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #5

I'd say if you are only going that short a distance it wouldn't matter and makes sense.

I just bought a "heavy" 5th wheel tri-axle and the owner was so proud that he just put on 6 new tires... Freestar's china junk... Now I'm wondering too if I should use them this year and junk them next year or just bite the bullet and put on Michelins.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Most tires are made in China these days anyway...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
For the few miles you put on, they may be just fine. If your driving across the desert in 100 plus degree weather, then they may be more prone to trouble.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I just put six new Double Coin tires on my 26000 lb rig. Put one on driver about six years after taking out a tire getting too close to a sharp rock and everything wet fine.

I researched the Double Coin tires on the Internet and found some positive indications from some heavy commercial tire users. I put some R150's all around, 22.5's at that!

After I retired from the Navy I went trucking, and during that time the company I pulled for did an experiment with tires, purchasing expensive, and el cheepo tires. The end result was . . . no difference in fuel usage nor blowout/service calls.

Due diligence is required I suppose.

Ed
Have to agree on the Double-Coin's.. this company use to make, and still uses the molds for, Michelin.. They got sued for it, but they are in China They are highly regarded through out the world. They have prolly the best warranty of any tire, regardless of price. Also, Michelin has decided to go back into business with them.

edit: Quick links.. there are tons more..

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Coin-Holdings

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...ticleID=N25304

http://www.gasgoo.com/showroom/11595/

http://www.ceibs.edu/link/latest/ima...51012/1739.pdf
Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #9

I have real world expirience with Double Coin, Toyo, Bridgestone, size 8R19.5. Got 32,000 from the DC, but they were only $175 too, steer tires. Got 48,560 out of the Bridgestones, drive tires. Have only put 17,000 on the Toyos though, so don't know how they'll measure up.

All have been fine but the Bridgestones were the best I've owned. Put them on the front when the DC wore out but switched to Toyos on the rears when Bridgestone jumped their prices 25% one year.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #10

I was at a local tire shop having tires put on the rear of my mh to replace michelin xrv's that have aged out. I used continental hsr, to replace the fronts a year and a half ago, didn't want to take a chance on them any more. So used the same on the rear. Have had good luck so far. There was a stack of Sampson tires sitting on the floor so out of curiosity I asked the manager about them. She shrugged her shoulders and said "for what they get used for they do pretty good". I asked what she meant and she said some of the tow companies used them on their local trucks. She said they ride rough as all get out and don't get near the miles out of them that the better brands do, but she has only had one failure since she has been selling them and she knows the guy ran it under inflated. She said their luck with the other Chinese brands was not so good, there's so little quality control.
I wouldn't want 'em any rougher riding than I have already, just thought that I would pass that along.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
I just put Double Coins all the way around on my unit.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kben39 View Post
I just put Double Coins all the way around on my unit.
What's a "Double Coin"?

I've never heard of them.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
What's a "Double Coin"?

I've never heard of them.
"El-Cheapo" tires, any real-world experience?

Double Coin
Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Thanks Jim. Never heard of them up in Canada. Toyo were recommended by my local tire shop though. I get a pretty good deal on them through our company.
Fleet price.

Tags
tires