Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Electric awnings

Does anyone know about electric retrofit for manual awnings?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'm sure Camping World would do it for you. My coach has powered awnings with the auto retract wind sensor. To be honest, I'd just as soon have manual awnings and no auto retract.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
My coach has powered awnings with the auto retract wind sensor. To be honest, I'd just as soon have manual awnings and no auto retract.
X2; I thought I would like my power awning--I hate it. It is far more sensitive to wind and I have no way of tying it down because of the autoretract system. Ours is the very expensive Girard; looks great but we hardly ever use it.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #4

Just wondered if anyone has done it and satisfied or not with awning. Don't need the auto retract.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mspring21,
Welcome to iRV2. My A&E Awning 9000 series take wind quite well. This job is really left to the professionals. One needs to:
1. Find 12 VDC (most brands) (120 VAC at least one brand)
2. Install the awning rail (very straight)
3. Install the arm brackets to the coach.
4. Install the awning on the rail.
5. Double check the spring tension in the awning arm.
6. Connect the hardware together.
7. Connect the power and test.
8. If necessary, install the wind sensor. This is more than the sensor position. It is where the "brain" goes to one can turn off the sensor or make sensing adjustments.

This is more than a one person job and the people need appropriate skills to get the job done correctly (the first time).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #6

Have power awnings love them, Lost manual in high winds. Now. With power ones I don't have to worry.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Gary I wasn't thinking about doing it myself, just wondering if anyone had done it and was satisfied. We had a newer coach before that had a electric awning and seemed to use it more because it was easy to put out and retract it if got windy.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
A friend and I replace our manual arms with power arms with wind sensor. I really like the power awning. We are currently in RGV and I have had our awning out since mid November with 40+ winds and no problems. I created uprights using PVC pipe which is holding the awning much like the old style awning uprights. They are adjustable and light weight, although I will leave them in my storage unit here for use next winter. I did a search on the web and came up with the plans and changed them slightly to fit my needs.

When we are staying a short time I will just hit the button and bring the awning in if needed or when we leave, but for the long time set up I like the awning out all the time.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the electric for the easy of putting up and down. But the wind sensor is another story. It's very sensitive to wind direction. Sometimes it will put itself up with what seems to me like a mild wind and at other times the awning sounds like the winds will rip if off before it goes up. I never trust it to go away and leave the awning down. Most others I talk to about their electric awnings tell me the same thing about theirs. The dealer has tested the wind sensor twice and said it checks ok.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycamper View Post
Have power awnings love them, Lost manual in high winds. Now. With power ones I don't have to worry.
I have an electric awning manufactured by Carefree of Colorado. While driving through SD hit 50 mph cross winds. The wind caught the awning unfurled it completely, stripped the non pinned shaft/end cap assembly bent both arms and scratched up the coach. $4000.00 to replace and repaint the top edge of the coach. Fortunately GMAC insurance came through like champs

If you have a Carefree awning take a look at this thread. C of C Awning Drive Repair

If you search the forum you will find several examples of electric awnings unfurling while driving in high winds.

Just a word of caution. Hope yours is better designed than mine was.

The real irony is I never use my awning, with the kitchen slide being under the patio awning it only gives me 4 or 5' of awning and the awning is so high to clear the slide it provides very little shade.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had power awning installed on two RV's. I discovered the wind sensor was a joke with the first one. On my latest RV I didn't have the wind sensor option installed.

You HAVE to have a good 12 volt source or you will have problems retracting the awning.

The first power awning was installed when the original was taken off by a tornado. The second one was installed by the dealer when I bought the rig new so I don't know what the procedure was to install it.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #12

As above with the awning above the kitchen slide and thus providing little if any shade I installed a secondary manual awning on the slide. Works well
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our power awning came with our MH. $700 worth of repairs got it working but we bought our rig used so who knows what happened to it. I agree the wind sensor is a joke so if you can get one without it, go for it. The sensor is mounted on the roof so even if the awning is on the leeward side of the wind the sensor sucks it in. We have it disabled most or all of the time. Wouldn't be pretty if the sensor rolled up the shade or party lanterns anyway

Other than that is really is cool to press the button on the remote and extend or retract it. So good luck installing one I think yo will like it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post
As above with the awning above the kitchen slide and thus providing little if any shade I installed a secondary manual awning on the slide. Works well
Hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a great fix.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote