Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Electric Bike Fat Tire Bike Rack?

Hi everyone. We are both new to owning a Motorhome as well as new to this Forum. We have a Fleetwood Bounder 34C that we've taken out on several long multi-month cross country road trips with no problem. We have no toad and were trying to avoid towing. To resolve short transportation needs while camped and also for fun and exercise we have just purchased two RadRover Electric (Pedal Assist) Fat Bikes (tires are 4") so it's more like a mountain bike. Each bike weighs 60 lbs., a little less if you take off the battery when hauling.

I never expected to find so much difficulty in figuring out how to haul these bikes. I have thoroughly researched bike racks and although I have found several (a Thule T2 Classic, Kuat NV and Saris Freedom Superclamp) that all can handle the tire size and weight, everyone I've spoken with either at dealerships, bike shops and online (etrailer.com) has told me that we can not put any bike rack on the back of our motorhome due to the torque associated with the distance it will hang from the rear axle, accentuating bounce and sway. Thule will not honor the warranty if we use it this way.

After everything I've read, and especially seeing various threads on this site in several forums, we believe that the sway/bounce/torque problem won't be as big an issue as dealers think.

So, from those with experience, do you see any issue with 150 lbs. or so (includes the weight of the hitch mounted rack itself) hanging from the rear mounted hitch receiver (2")? Thank you so much for any advice.

Lionhouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Not unless it is a problem for the bikes. Many an RV is towing a trailer that has much higher tongue weight and that would be the same. You probably should fin a way to cover the bikes to protect them from wet and dirt.

Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What will be the total distance from the rear axle to the mounted bikes?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I'm running the heavy duty Swagman bike rack and have simular weight electric bikes. I do load the bikes without batteries to cut down on weight. And a hitch should be good for from 300-500# to tow a trailer and weight is weight.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
Hi Peg,

We use a bike rack from 1upusa. I would call them and ask if they carry them in your tire size. They make heavy duty racks for electric bikes. We carry our two electric bikes on the back of our RV with no problems. I also use a hitch clamp from Hitch Rider to keep the wobble down.
'03 Country Coach Intrigue 36'
Cummins ISL 400
TR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
Use a two bike motorcycle carrier. Look at Discountramps.com for ideas
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think the problem you're running into is you're trying to carry these like bicycles. Carry them like motorcycles as suggested above and you'll be fine. If they will fit you can get a cargo carrier for a couple hundred bucks and be done.
1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
dmurdock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
The Motorhome is in storage at the moment so I can't measure it exactly but in looking at specs online and doing some estimation it is in the range of about 12-14'.
Lionhouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
I'm using a lift from overbuiltlifts.com. they can custom make a cradle for there lift that will haul your bikes with ease. Currently use one to carry my dresser Harley it works great. Installation of the unit it self is easy. however you will have to have a welding shop or a good hitch shop in stall the hitch to the frame. As a side note you can still tow a towed with this system installed.

DWMeatloaf is offline   Reply With Quote

bike rack