Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #1

Electric Brake Trailer on Air Brake A Class ?

Hi,
I need to tow an trailer with electric brakes behind my 2001 Monaco Diplomat with air brakes. Right now I only have a 4 prong trailer plug on the hitch. Is there anything special or anything I need to know about adding an electric brake controller to it ? I've never done this and no one I know can answer me, is it an issue because the Monaco has air brakes ?
Thanks
Michael
duckboatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it's on a F-Liner chassis there may already be a brake controller plug in on the left side of the steering column under the dash area.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboatking View Post
Hi,
I need to tow an trailer with electric brakes behind my 2001 Monaco Diplomat with air brakes. Right now I only have a 4 prong trailer plug on the hitch. Is there anything special or anything I need to know about adding an electric brake controller to it ? I've never done this and no one I know can answer me, is it an issue because the Monaco has air brakes ?
Thanks
Michael
You will have to add another line from the coach to the trailer for the brakes, which will mean a five or six prong plug. If your chassis is not already wired for a brake controller, then you'll have to run a wire from the controller in the cockpit area to the plug on the back of the coach.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #4

It's on a Roadmaster Chassis
Old 07-23-2017, 05:37 AM   #5

Thanks, I was hoping it was pre-wired so I wouldn't have to run wires all the way to the dash. Where do I pick up the brake signal ? to activate the brakes on the electric brake controller ?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #6

duckboatking-

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "2001," "Diplomat" and "brake controller" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you will need to run all the wires. One thing to remember about diesel motorhomes with air brakes is that most have an engine brake of some type and many engine brakes activate the brake lights. When installing a electric brake controller on these you need to isolate that signal to the controller so the trailer brakes do not activate with the engine brake, only when the service brakes are applied. My last two diesel motorhomes had an isolated brake light switch so it was easy. I also helped a friend with a 07 Monaco that did not have that feature so I wired up a relay to isolate but you can also use a diode.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There will be a brake light switch terminal on the air brake treadle valve, but just where that is on a Roadmaster I cannot say. The treadle valve is the air valve that the brake pedal operates mechanically, so up front somewhere.

It's not necessarily bad if the trailer brakes activate with the engine/exhaust brake. If you use an inertial controller, it will still modulate as it should for proper proportional breaking. If it's a time-dependent controller, than long downhills can possibly cause excessive trailer braking.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Buy a trailer connector that has the hook-up for the 4 blade flat connector that you already have, Then the instructions for the controller will tell you how to wire it all the way to the rear. It will also tell you about installing an 40 amp auto reset relay. Do that back by your batteries.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
This might help.

Note the 5th wire (blue) going to the trailer for the brakes. If the trailer has a breakaway switch and a rechargable 12 volt battery to activate the trailer brakes in the event of a breakaway you might want a 6th wire to provide ignition on 12 volts to the trailer to charge the battery, use a 12 gauge wire and put a 20 Amp circuit breaker in series with it if you do it. If you have backup lights on the trailer and want to power them then that's the 7th wire on a 7-way connector.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-install...m-scratch.aspx
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #11

When I rewired my 98 Dynasty for a trailer I put in a 7 prong plug. I had to run a wire from the dash to new plug and last week I wired my controller so it doesn't come on when
I use my exhaust break. I have a Roadmaster frame and there was 2 air switches wired parallel for the brake lights so I took switched wire off on off the brake light switches and tape it and hooked up the brake activation wire to it and it works great.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #12

I would recommend this brake controller as it is a Proportioned Brake Controller. You can get it off of Amazon, thats where I got mine, I just used this link for reference https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...iABEgJWevD_BwE
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #13

Thank You, I ordered the brake controller today, so I'll have it in a couple more days, I'm sure I'll have more questions once I have it in my hand...lol

Tags
brake, electric, trailer