Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Electric cost for month

We stayed at a campground for the month of January in central Florida and were charged extra for electric, which I don't have a problem with. We did not use the a/c but did run small electric heaters in the morning to take the chill off. We were told by our dealer to leave the water heater on all the time, that it took more power to heat as needed. So other than the normal frig, tv, computer and lights, we didn't think we used a lot of electricity. We have a 2004 37' HR. Our cost was $77.00 for the month. I feel this is high, but since I really don't know I thought I would ask all of you. Since we will be doing more monthly stays in the future this summer I want to be able to budget. Thanks.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, how much per KWh and how many did you use? the higher the cost and the more you use the more it'll cost you. Without knowing the above info we have no way of telling you if it's too much.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
seems expensive. Do their terms state anything about extra electric charges.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most campgrounds will charge for electricity if you are staying long term (monthly). Those sites are metered and read as you check in and again as you check out. Then the charges are figured depending on usage and the KW rate. We full time and stay long term in several camps. We have paid anywhere from $75 to $125 a month depending on time of year.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto with all of the above... but we've paid more than $125/mo when in Arizona during the summer. Frankly I don't think $2.50/day is too bad.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #6

We spent close to a month in John Wayne RV in Maricopa and spent $78.00. I did not leave the water heater on, only put it on to shower,spent a lot of time visiting with family,doing laundry there, and used propane for heat, no AC needed...so I think $78.00 was expensive.
ja63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
paz

Your electricity cost will depend on how much you use and how much the campground charges. Here in central Florida, we run as much on electric as we can because I don't like the inconvenience of unhooking the motorhome to go have the LP tank filled. We run the water heater on electric. For heat, we run either an electric heater or the heat pump.

The campground where we stay charges $.14 per KW-hr. We usually pay around $100 a month depending on how many cool nights we get. I think your cost of $77 is not out of line.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
It would be a good idea to keep track of your meter then. A lot of marinas are charging for electricity as well.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #9

WE are also staying in Central Florida and our Jan elec bill was 78.00 under very similar conditions. I would expect that your two elec heaters are not helping the
cost.

Read your meter and then go to the office and get the rate per KWH which will allow you to check your actual cost when ever you want.

The cost you mentioned seems about right.

Dick
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #10

When we travel in the summer we normally stay a month or more in one spot with metered electricity. If the weather is hot we will use two air conditioners, as well as, maybe a couple of tvs, 3 computers running, a coffee pot, crock pot regularly, lights, etc. We do not spend much time conserving or considering our usage and one of us is typically inside working all day. We do use gas for the water heater. It is not unusual for us to have an electric charge for the month of $150. Our neighbor last year in a similar vehicle was gone most of the day (he worked nearby) and typically ran only one a/c in the evenings. His electric was about $40.

Some states allow campgrounds to put an upcharge on electric rates, others do not.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thank you all! We used 598 KW @ .013 per KWH. This gives me an idea what to budget in the future, especially summer months. Your input has been very helpful.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
At the S&B for us during the summer in Michigan our electric would be $40 to $70.

We had family stay at the house this past summer while we were out of town. They put in 2 window units and ran them. I guess the 50 at night and the 70 or so during the day was too hot for them. They ran the electric to over $250 a month.

It all depends on what you are using and what is left on.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Come on down to my area along the upper Gulf Coast. Most of the campgrounds include the electric cost in the site cost. A nice site around here is between $350-$400 a month. How much are the sites in Florida?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
We're parked in central FL.

For Jan. our electric bill was:

707 KWH used
$.14 per KWH
$98.98 total

-Tom