Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have the furnace fixed...who wants a coach that the furnace doesn't work in? Or the water heater, or the inverter...etc, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer depends on the source of payment.. For me I use electric heat a lot, however I'm in campgrounds where I pay a flat rate, I do not pay for electric seperate, if I had to pay by the kilowatt I'm sure Propane would be cheaper.

But sometimes I am not in a campground.. For example, Last fall we went to Georgia for my Daughter's wedding, Stuck around till Jan-2.. Now you may not remember Jan-2 but I do, COLDEST NIGHT ALL WINTER.. And no furnace ,it was broken. And being on the road all I had for heat was the dash (or electric if I fired the Gen-set)

It (The furnace) is fixed now.

New Dinosaure control board, less than half the price of the OEM board and from the look and feel and other observations, A much better product.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:03 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The answer depends on the source of payment.. For me I use electric heat a lot, however I'm in campgrounds where I pay a flat rate, I do not pay for electric seperate, if I had to pay by the kilowatt I'm sure Propane would be cheaper.

But sometimes I am not in a campground.. For example, Last fall we went to Georgia for my Daughter's wedding, Stuck around till Jan-2.. Now you may not remember Jan-2 but I do, COLDEST NIGHT ALL WINTER.. And no furnace ,it was broken. And being on the road all I had for heat was the dash (or electric if I fired the Gen-set)

It (The furnace) is fixed now.

New Dinosaure control board, less than half the price of the OEM board and from the look and feel and other observations, A much better product.

I carry one oil filled electric heater (looks like a radiator) year round. I use it to take chill out. In winter I have a second unit and run them on separate circuits. Only use the furnace when temp drops below 60 inside or temp drops below 30 for a extended period mainly for basement heat. Becomes an offset as far as cost and convenience when propane needs rationing as it is not immediately available.

Rvernie
Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #18

If you boondock a lot then the furnace is a must have. Very few battery/inverter setups will run an electric heater for very long. Using the generator is expensive just like propane.

If you are on shore power, a few small electric heaters should do the trick unless it gets really cold. As mentioned, don't ignore your basement. I use the furnace only if I have to because of the cost of propane and the noise - mine are a little on the noisy side. I have heat pumps pumps and a fireplace so a few more choices than most I suspect. Furnace is the last resort but when I need it, I spend the money.

I would have it repaired or NEVER go anywhere where you might be in cold weather. I do not seek out cold weather, but sometimes it seeks you out so be prepared.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #19

Well... this post is 5 years old but I'll chime in.... get a catalytic propane heater and use it if you have hookups or boondocking in the desert or mountains. We used ours for 16 full-timing years and absolutely loved the constant warmth vs the RV furnace of hot/cold.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #20

5 Years old - Holy Cow.

Now we may never know if he got his furnace fixed - sad
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #21

I put a small electric fireplace/heater in the bedroom. Works great, even on half power.

The issue I have is the proximity to the coach's furnace thermostat so the furnace does not go on to heat the rest of the interior. I will look into either another heater for the front of the coach or at least some means to circulate the heat with a fan. We travel with a full house so the entire house needs heat.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Well... this post is 5 years old but I'll chime in.... get a catalytic propane heater and use it if you have hookups or boondocking in the desert or mountains. We used ours for 16 full-timing years and absolutely loved the constant warmth vs the RV furnace of hot/cold.
X2. Used for years (CRS). There is no better,
Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #23

So I would say the same as most of the others. If you know you will have power then no furnace. We use mostly electric and it doesn't matter if we use generator power or shore power. Either way your paying for the electric. If it is really cold we will use the furnace to take off the chill and then use an electric heater the rest of the time. In Florida it is really cold all the time

Tags
furnace, heater