Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
electric heater or rv furnace

Is it cheaper to run the rv furnace or buy an electric heater? we have an 1989 25 foot winnebago chieftain. It is in the shop right now and the furnance isn't working, I am not sure if I should have them fix it or just go with an electric or propane heater. I live in southern california, but it does get a little chilly at the beach or in the mountains. thanks
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786
Is it cheaper to run the rv furnace or buy an electric heater? we have an 1989 25 foot winnebago chieftain. It is in the shop right now and the furnance isn't working, I am not sure if I should have them fix it or just go with an electric or propane heater. I live in southern california, but it does get a little chilly at the beach or in the mountains. thanks
The answer depends on whether or not you pay for electric.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my opinion I would have your RV's furnace fixed.
You never know when you could be camping and either have no shore power available or the shore power fail for the night.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #4

There have been several earlier threads about electric heaters and possible inverter damage, so I recommend that you check those out. Propane heater venting. Be careful.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you always have electric available (shore power), a portable electric heater (1500 watt from WalMart) would meet your needs in southern Ca.
If no electric, fix the furnace and use it along with a portable electric heater when you have power (this is what I do: I try to just use electric when I have shore power; I use both furnace and electric when it is in the 20's or colder).
Using portable propane heaters inside a motorhome requires proper venting all the time - no mistakes allowed or it could cost you your life.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing I like to do - The furnace and electric heater fans make noise, but they heat up the coach quickly. Those electric radiator heaters are quiet (but a pain to store). If you have a place to store one, you could use the radiator in the bedroom at night (with door closed) and turn the furnace off until morning.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends on the cost of the propane and electricity. If you go HERE you can download a small program that will make the simple calculation for you.
It allows you to enter the appliance efficiency.

According to an email to me from engineering at Suburban Manufacturing, the efficiency of RV furnaces ranges from 70 to 80 percent. Water heaters are 70 percent on gas.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #8

Remember, if you have a heated basement model a electric heater will not warm it and in case of a freeze- frozen pipes...
ej bagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We use a small electric heater to take the chill off but this is in a park where electric is included. Not so much for the savings but having an LP tank that is attached it is a pia to get it filled. If it is real cold out the LP furnace can't be beat though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I use two radiator type electric heaters one in front and one in the back and set the furnace to come on if the temperature inside drops below 65. You have to manage total amps used. It works for us and we are comfortable with no frozen pipes.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I have used a small electric heater in the past primarily to keep inside of coach above freezing when in storage up north.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #12

Yes have the furnace fixed. IT does heat up much quicker than the electric heater also it does supply heat to the basement for keeping the tanks from freezing in below freezing temps. Nothing worse than a cracked holding tank.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Depends on how cold you will be camping, but in many situations we have been in, an electric heater would in NO way replace our furnace which also heats the under carriage items.
DogsCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If I'm paying a fee to camp and part of that fee includes the electricity...I'm using the electric heater.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, heater