Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

Electric Power Gear Leveling Jack Replacement

I'm getting error on my DS front jack. Replaced the brake no change. Has anyone replaced the entire jack? How difficult is it? Thanks for your help.
Doug

08 Discovery 40x

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #2

I think I'd swap the jack with the one on the other side. Your problem sounds more like a controller than the jack itself, but hard to tell without more troubleshooting.

Jacks are mounted with 4 bolts. A 3/4" socket and breaker bar if I remember correctly. Heavy though, so be prepared.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have replaced the motor assembly (3) and that is pretty easy and a lot cheaper. The motor is held on with 4 small bolts and sits onto of the jack.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #4

That's correct Pigman 1-4 bolts and the wire plug, I have removed and repaired mine a few times, if possible lower the leg down so it will just touch the ground, then loosen the nuts and remove the bolts, disconnect the wire. If done correctly the leg will be standing on it's own, lay on it's side and remove from under the motorhome.

I have tested them with a 12v charger, unplug the chassis wiring and supply power to the plug. one way up one way down, don't have to remove the leg.

I would think you could remove one leg and drag it over to the other one and plug it in to test it.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

Yes, but the OP is getting an error on his control panel. I believe the controller monitors current in the jack legs, so if a jack were binding in a tube, it would throw an error. Just changing a motor would not tell you if the problem were in a leg or the controller. Since the other corresponding jack is not showing an error, swapping jacks with a known good one will tell you if the error is caused by the jack or the controller circuitry.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

By the way I had to remove the entire jack assembly 3 or 4 times because of dampness inside the motor, I had to dry and seal all 4 electric motors and add a 8" rear mud flap extension to keep the water out of the motor assembly.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yes, but the OP is getting an error on his control panel. I believe the controller monitors current in the jack legs, so if a jack were binding in a tube, it would throw an error. Just changing a motor would not tell you if the problem were in a leg or the controller. Since the other corresponding jack is not showing an error, swapping jacks with a known good one will tell you if the error is caused by the jack or the controller circuitry.
To make it easier on yourself, rather than swapping jacks, go to your controller and swap connections. They should be labeled. If the controller is bad, swapping the connection should cause the same error to appear on the other jack. If it doesn't, your jack is bad.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Thanks for all thanks information and suggestions. The reason I believe it is the jack and not the controller is that the system operates properly on a less uneven surface. I park it on my driveway which requires the front and particularly the left front jack to do most of the work as the coach is nose down and leaning to the left. It seems that as the coach is near level the left jack is tasked with a "little more left" to level and it then errors. a month ago it never had any problem lifting to level.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
I'm getting error on my DS front jack. Replaced the brake no change. Has anyone replaced the entire jack? How difficult is it? Thanks for your help.
Doug

08 Discovery 40x
Just a follow-up note. Replaced the left front jack with new ordered from Fleetwood ($950). Crawled underneath coach. removed six 1/2" nuts and lock washers. used floor jack to lower coach jack. Assembly reversed. tested a-ok!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

Glad you got it fixed!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #11

I have a 2004 Damon intruder I am presently have a problem with the Jack's on last week trip I extended the Jack's with no problem. Then in trying level the RV the jacks lost power and all four fully retracted. When turning on the power gear system the lights still flash but no power to move the jacks. Do anyone know what caused this. I was told a circuit breaker is the problem and need to be reset. If I hat is the case of where is the breaker located or the it another person problem.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doug,
Glad you got the situation fixed. Don't get rid of the old jack assembly though. More than likely, if the brake wasn't the culprit and the motor was, you may need the brake itself one day. Usually, it's only the brake or the motor and not both. Sealing the boot on each jack and keeping water from getting into it will go a long way for the life of the brake/motor assemblies.

Misn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, leveling, power, power gear, replace, replacement