Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #15

That is fantastic information and I certainly appreciate it. The voltage must be getting to the motor since it operates in the release position just fine and there are only 2 wires going to the motor. It could be an internal wire loose in the motor and I will remove it )again), pull it apart and examine it. Would you happen to have the info on the supplier for the brake? I am sorely disappointed PowerGear did not refer me to a supplier but business is business. I am going to be out of town until next week and will jump on this when I return. I will keep you informed.

Herb

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #16

Did you get supplier name ? I also have brake coil burnt up.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #17

Sorry. I have not yet. My RV has been used for over a week and will be until next week. At that time I have an appointment to have my jacks worked on and I will have him remove the motor and disassemble it. I will post again when I have more info. Good luck on yours. For the time being I operate the slide in the release position then crawl underneath and place it in the engage position to prevent the slide from creeping out.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #18

Electric Slide Problem

I did not keep the brake controller information after I determined it was not a failed brake and I had resolved the issue. However, I suspect that it might be a good idea to get the information -- Make and Model -- directly off your brake controller to insure that you are after the correct replacement part. Since Powergear has different models of their slide control motors, I would suspect that they may also use different brake components. I found the information on my brake control by removing the motor and getting the brake control make and model from the tag on the unit. I then did an internet search, found the maker, and contacted them directly. They provided me with contact information where I could obtain a brake control unit for my application.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #19

Here we go. Removed slide motor and the boot over the brake on the back of the motor. There was a tag that had following info - 320440100HC1. No manufacturer name. There were more numbers but this number allowed me to find the manufacturer on the web in Wisconsin and Missouri - Stearns. Service number in Wisconsin is 1-414-272-1100. Sales in Missouri - 1-866-354-0063. After talking with Andy in Wisconsin I found that the #$%^&* wiring(only 2 wires) was incorrect. The two wires on the coil on the brake were tied together. Seems so stupidly simple after the problem was known. The slide operating with the motor in the "release" position has nothing to do with the brake. My motor has only 2 wires going to it. It simply reverses polarity when going from "in" to "out". The brake is released(energized) any time the slide is activated. When slide switch is released the coil on the brake is de-energized allowing the brake to hold slide in position. Been chasing my tail for over a year but, finally, it works.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #20

Meant to paste the following link to my last post and to thank all for their inputs. http://stearns.rexnord.com/pdf/Installation/889-00.pdf
Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #21

Thanks for info. My brake coil had burnt up. Motor still works fine when I release brake manually. On my 98 discovery the slide controller is under fridge. Some water dripped on it causing slide out to retract. It held voltage on it till brake coil burnt up.

Tags
slide