Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

Question Electric Slide Problem

I have a Powergear Electric Slide motor that will always operate in the "Open" position but is intermittent in the "Close" position. Lately I can seldom get it to operate in the "Close" position and resort to retracting the slide manually. In using a 12 volt test light to check power to the motor I find the following:
(1) When the "Open" switch is operated, I receive power to only the "open" side wire at the motor.
(2) When the "Close" switch is operated, I receive power to both the "Close" side wire at the motor and also to the "Open" side wire at the motor.
The only way I can figure that I get power in the "open" wire when the "close" switch is applied is a short inside the motor that would be allowing power to feed back through the "open" side wire.
(3) When I unplug the motor and test the leads at the plug when the "open" and "close" switch is operated, I get a correct reading for each function.

Any insight you can provide me will be appreciated. I don't want to spend over $600 on a new motor only to find out that is not the problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

You can reverse the wires and see if the motor functions correctly on the opposite pole(close). Also test the volts in that position. My bet is the switch is bad.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

relay

relays reverse the wires
Old 05-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #4

Does your controller have diagnostic lights? That might help.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropaline View Post
relays reverse the wires
Quite correct but if one pole is bad it will not hold current. Waiting for your suggestion to help this guy out. I am only interested in that and sharing my past experience with slides. Certainly no professional
Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't say about now, but when I retired, all the motors were reversed by reversing the wires through the switch. The switch simply reversed the power coming into the motor. If you have a reversing switch, I would think the switch is shorting out. It is easy to check to see if it is a reversing switch. Almost all of them have two metal reversing straps on the back of the switch.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

More Info.

I appreciate the input. I had tested the switch prior by swapping the Main Slide Switch with the Bed Slide Switch. Same issue regardless of which switch is used so I eliminated that as a possibility. Today I did more diagnostics with the following results:
(1) Made some jumper wires so I could jump from a battery to the wires on the slide motor. I can operate the slide fine - both in and out - by reversing the polarity with the jumper wires. I can hear the brake click to release and click again to engage. Conclusion -- the motor and the brake are working fine.
(2) I checked volts at the plug where the motor plugs in while my wife worked the switch. Recorded 13.14 volts on both open and close positions of the switch. I can also hear the controller operate on each of the switch positions. Conclusion - there is adequate voltage going from the controller to the motor plug.

Given the results above I am at a loss as to why the motor will not retract the slide by operating the switch. Guess I am going to have to take it in to someone who has more savvy of electric slide systems.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #8

Don't know what kind of rig you have or how old it is , but i am guessing some where between the Main Slide Switch (or the Bed Slide Switch) and the slide motors is a set of relays and circuit breakers. See if you can locate and check those relays. (they may be a plugged in, or soldered to a small circuit board.) On my DP they were in the same bay as the Inverter/Charger.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #9

relay

my relayes are located in the inverter compartment and the way they had the excess wireing screwed to the compartment the weight bouncing down the road made the plug that goes into the relay break the soidering at the pins on the board inside the relay break so i had to drill the pop rivits out resoider and that let max voltage go through the board. before that the connection on the pins althougt broke but not completely would give me a 12 volt reading on my ohm meter. good luck
Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #10

Smile Follow up

I have resolved the issue. After eliminating a faulty switch and a faulty electric motor, I concluded that the problem had to be in the slide controller -- even though I could hear the relay on the controller click when the slide switch was activated. I found a slide controller with the same part number on ebay and purchased it. I installed the new slide control board and the slide operates now operates as intended.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a bad ground contact on the control unit relay to me.. here is how that motor works.

One way RED + Black -
Other way Black + red -

The relays in the control unit (I can not help you locating that) are dpdt and one of them has a burned contact, on the negative side, or for some other reason is not making contact.

Now.. Where did they hide the control unit... Frankly.. I'd like to know.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #12

Actually the control unit was easy to access in the compartment where the inverter is located in this unit -- right behind the passenger side front wheel. The house systems control board and fuses are also mounted in this compartment. Easy access on this unit which is a National RV Dolphin LX -- Workhorse Chassis.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #13

I am a newby here and would like some of this good advice on my problem. Slide works fine in the "release" position but of course will creep out during travel(normal). When my slide is in I crawl underneath and put the Powergear motor in the "engage" position. This holds the slide from creeping out. The slide will not operate in the "engage" position and this is the normal position for operation. Conclusion - the brake in the motor will not release. Has anyone had this problem and, if so, have you ever removed the brake from the motor? A new motor is $725 so I would like to be able to fix it. Any help appreciated.

Herb
Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

Electric Slide Motor Brake

During the trouble shooting mode on me slide motor, I did remove the motor and check the brake. Was told by a PowerGear rep that they would not sell just the brake and that I would have to purchase a new motor complete with the brake. Sounds like that is where you are. I removed the motor and got the information off the brake, found the supplier on the internet, and found a local dealer for the brake -- somewhere around $200 as I recall. I did not purchase a new brake as further testing indicated that was not the problem. You might also want to check the wire connections where the brake wires are attached to the electric motor leads to see if you might just have a bad connection. If the brake is not getting an electric signal when you activate the motor switch, it will not release.

Tags
slide