Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

electric step

Why would my step operate slowly? When I start the coach it works fine, but after setting. Overnight it will not work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

I found on our Essex coach we need to lubricate all the moving parts with white spray grease once a year. Might spray WD-40 first and then the white grease. ou need to go under the step to lubricate all moving parts,

Old 10-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Lube once a month.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by franks5girls View Post
Why would my step operate slowly? When I start the coach it works fine, but after setting. Overnight it will not work.
I'd check the batteries. Lubing them is always good to do but considering that they work fine with the coach running and not when it's off I'd suspect the batteries or possibly a connection at the stairs or batteries.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I am now having trouble with my steps . They go in and out ok but they make a loud squealing sound after they are up. Have always sprayed then on a regular bases. I wonder if that is the motor going bad ? The MH is a 2015 Winnebago 27N.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replys on my step, my lights work fine inside I am guessing yjey work on the. Same. Batteries will try spraying. Them.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Check the grounds as the do corrode being exposed to the elements
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by franks5girls View Post
Thanks for all the replys on my step, my lights work fine inside I am guessing yjey work on the. Same. Batteries will try spraying. Them.
Lights are a very poor replacement for a battery monitor. They are also a resistive load and your steps are inductive - two very different things as far as the battery is concerned. If you do not have a proper battery monitor, that would be my first step - get a proper reading to find out what state they are in when the step are "slow". Cleaning the electrical connections is a good thing to do regardless of battery state.

Since they work fine when the alternator is providing power, it is highly likely that your batteries are in a state in which they are unable to provide the power required.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My manual says to lube them monthly. Also, the chassis battery operates the steps, check it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

When is the last time you lubricated the step mechanism? Most of the problems with these steps originates from lack of lubrication. Think about where these things are situated while your doing down the road.
I began using this product a while back on my steps, basement latches etc. it's pricy but really works well.
You can find it on Amazon, Campers World and others.

Boeshield T-9 | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication