Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electric step issue

Anyone ever have this issue? My steps are functioning but when the door is opened, the moter keeps running like it is trying to keep push them out, You can hear clicking noise. When they go back in, same thing, motor keeps running and you can see the steps going in and out slightly. The motor will eventually stop and leave the steps in or out. But I am thinking motor will burn out and I do not want it to happen, especially when they are out. I have a 2012 Coachman Mirada. Thanks.
Jrf4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

It sounds like the contol box is going south. It shuts of the motor by amperage. Or some part of the linkage is loose. Another possibity is a gear is stripped. When you look underneath are there any parts moving up near the arm where it attaches to the gear box after the stairs have stopped?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hope the control box is not going bad, only 14 months old, 2 month past warranty, go figure. I will look under tonight, thanks.
Jrf4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

What did you fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf4865 View Post
Hope the control box is not going bad, only 14 months old, 2 month past warranty, go figure. I will look under tonight, thanks.
Did you find the problem? Gear or control pac?
oceansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #5

Check your switch on the hinge side right inside of the screen door.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think it is your control box. Even if it did not tell your motor to turn off, the motor would stall when it got to the end of the run. I believe it is the plastic marbles in the motor gearbox. These can get chewed up and will allow the motor to keep running until a large enough piece gets caught just right and stops the motor and gives the amp rise that causes the controller to shut off the power.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I don't think it is your control box. Even if it did not tell your motor to turn off, the motor would stall when it got to the end of the run. I believe it is the plastic marbles in the motor gearbox. These can get chewed up and will allow the motor to keep running until a large enough piece gets caught just right and stops the motor and gives the amp rise that causes the controller to shut off the power.
I agree with Ga traveler as the exact situation that you described happened to me as well. I removed the drive motor and opened up the drive housing and there was essentially no rubber drive bushings left. The rubber gets hard from the grease and disentagrates. If that is the case and parts are elusive as I found(although mine was a much older model of power step) a mid 80's Ford Taurus power window drive motor was a direct replacement. Good luck, and keep us posted.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

same problem

I own a 2012 Coachmen Mirada as well. My steps just started doing this today as well. It clicks about 5 times when the steps are coming out and then stops. It is very consistent. Does not click on the retraction. I'm still under warranty, so may have them check it out, unless anyone has an easy fix...
naeblis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

Ga man and Habitat: You guys were dead on. The "marbles" are called window regulator gear plugs #74410 Advance Auto. Cleaned out the old pieces DID NOT lube the gear plugs. Greased the worm gear and spindles, reassembled, works like a charm. Thanks to all for the help y'all gave. PS; $8.00 for the part.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

Glad it worked out so well. Always feels good to get something like this fixed.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #11

I've just developed the same problem, so I'm heading to AutoZone today for my marbles!
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #12

retired Bob:
I was careful to put them in place while applying a little pressure to keep them straight. I ended up very slowly and carefully compressing the gear down with a vise. I couldn't do it with my hands and guiding them with a screwdriver and compressing because of the very tight fit. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #13

Thanks for the hint. Picked up the plugs, but haven't gotten to the repair yet.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #14

Replaced the plugs today and steps work fine. Interestingly, the old plugs weren't in pieces, just badly worn on one side. Should this really happen in just two years of use?