Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Electric Steps, I've had it

On our 3rd MH. Problems with the steps on all 3. Steps locked in, steps locked out. 2nd time on this MH. Having the steps replaced with manual ones. Can I get out to pull out the manual steps?? Have climbed out too many times with them locked in. Just had enough!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

How often are you lubing the the step's? The problem I see by reading is lack of lubrication which make's the step's bind and strip the plastic gear's in the motor. To you question on putting manual step's in just remove the motor or disconnect the linkage to the motor and move it manually. If you have a big drop getting out of your coach you could make a portable step to drop out the door so you don't break an ankle or some thing worse to get out and then move the step's manually.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
On our 3rd MH. Problems with the steps on all 3. Steps locked in, steps locked out. 2nd time on this MH. Having the steps replaced with manual ones. Can I get out to pull out the manual steps?? Have climbed out too many times with them locked in. Just had enough!!!!
Put the wrench down and step away from the Motorhome Mac. The worst thing you can do in a situation like this is to loose control. We are here and together we can get you so confused you will forget your steps altogether.

The first time you step out of your door and forget you no longer have automatic steps you will regret it. The first time your DW comes to the steps with her arms full and has to set everything down and wrestle the manual steps out, you will regret it. (see what I did there?) Spend that time and money to get your electric steps working properly, you will not regret it.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
With as good a quality of MH you have the steps should be a premium brand. Do you know what brand and model step you have. If you can post that information there will be a lot of advise on what to do to correct the problem. installing manual steps is not the right direction to go. Good luck, Richard
Old 01-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

I had the same problems I installed power window switch about $5 on ebay I installed it in switch panel inside door easy install direct to step motor unhook old wires at motor .. all the connections I needed were in light switch panel hot wire when house batts on two wires direct to motor well it worked for me ..
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
With as good a quality of MH you have the steps should be a premium brand. Do you know what brand and model step you have. If you can post that information there will be a lot of advise on what to do to correct the problem. installing manual steps is not the right direction to go. Good luck, Richard
x2 I would bit the bullet and fix the motor. make sure the step's are well lubed.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #7

There are literally millions of automatic steps in use. Most never have a problem. The ones that do have a problem can be fixed by someone who knows how to fix them. Manual steps are a pain in the behind even on a towable where you are always outside when you need to extend/retract them.

Extending and retracting manual steps from the inside of a motorhome is just an accident waiting to happen. Step out and fall 4' to the ground because you forgot or leave them out and hit a curb and the repairs will far exceed the cost to make your existing steps work properly.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, they came to install the manual steps. NG Not a good fit, service would not install. OK, fix the electric steps. As there is only one supplier of electric steps, have no choice.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #9

Our steps quit on us on our way to Alaska. Used a plastic step stool to get in and out and drilled a hole in the mechanism to insert bolt to keep steps in place. That lasted about two days and I went hunting for a motor/gear assembly. Good news. After visiting three rv stores I found the part. Bad news, it was $350.
Tegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:12 AM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

Since most of us have not had electric step problems and you have had problems on your last 3 rigs I would look into what you are doing/not doing. Something seems to be wrong on your end.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:24 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a theory.
The step motor is a common window riser motor eitehr Ford GM or Chrysler depending on the model of steps. But My theory is that Kwikee is using 2nds. Motors with a dead spot.. SO I have twice had to "Re-Index" basically I open the transmission, lift the gear, turn it just a bit, put it back so the motor stops at a different spot.. Seems to make a big difference.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:01 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two things I do, keep the steps well lubricated. Always wait till the steps are fully extended before stepping out.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Two things I do, keep the steps well lubricated. Always wait till the steps are fully extended before stepping out.
I agree on waiting for step to extend completely before stepping on it. My grandson (7 years old), stepped on the step before it fully extended and stripped the gears twice.

We now have a game that he has to count to 3 after he opens the door before he steps out. This gives the step time to fully extend. He loves this 'game' and has me doing it even when he's not around. Haven't had an issue since.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have to agree about the steps being a pain. I often wander if this the step manufacture's Bread and Butter....Ha Ha. I have to hit the bottom of the gear case on my sticking steps about 50% of the time stuck in or out. I do have a brand new set but have not installed yet. There is a thread with the window motor part# that controls them for a tenth of a new Kwikee motor.

Tags
steps, electric