Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 03:56 AM   #1

Electric vs. Hydraulic Operated Slides

With the exception of a few manufacturers, most coaches I've researched have slides powered by electricity instead of a hydraulic system. Are there significant differences between them? Thank you in advance for your input..
quinjeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinjeni View Post
With the exception of a few manufacturers, most coaches I've researched have slides powered by electricity instead of a hydraulic system. Are there significant differences between them? Thank you in advance for your input..
quinjeni
From what I've read slides, (both "electrical powered" and "hydrulic powered") are problematic.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

In 11 years I have NEVER ever had a,problem with my hydraulic slides. Mfgs tend to install undersized or marginal motors and the absolute minimum wire size. So electrics might be cheaper, but replacing a slide motor in a campmground is not a lot of fun.
BTW, both electric and hydraulic slide outs require an electric motor. The big difference is I can access my hydraulic pump motor in about 15 miutes without disassemblying anything.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
There is very little difference between them. As much as anything it is the quality of manufacture that matters. Having owned both, the hydraulic was nice but they used a cheap pushon style of fitting at the end of the hose. Had they used quality fittings I may not have had a hydraulic line blow off and have oil soaked insulation in the belly. There is one electric motor for hydraulic-usually readily accessible. Each slide will have an electric motor, but again some manufacturer's have done a better job than others- although there is very little competion in this area anymore= less choice.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! They are both electric anyway. The electricity either operates a pump (hydraulic) or a motor-driven gear (rack & pinion). Even the cable operated systems (yuk!) are driven by an electric motor.

I've had both types in 4 different rigs and haven't had problems with either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Problems with the electric slides is that of the owner not knowing how to operate them. They usually unhook the coach from power and rely on the batteries to get the slides in. If they remain hooked up to shore power or run the generator, most problems are eliminated because of the greater power source. More power is always better.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #7

We have the electric gear driven slides on our 2000 coach and with 91k miles logged, never had any problems (knock on wood)

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
My Dynasty has one of each, front slide is hydraulic and the rear is electric. Two years no issues except the electric rear sometimes blows the $5 Bosh relay. I have a bag full cause they are all over my elect run. X2 on people cause their slide problems. Follow the directions in YOUR manual...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, slide