Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Electric vs Pumped Toilet

What is the benefit of having an electric operated toilet?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In your title you said "electric vs pumped", in my understanding there are two toilet types where the type depends on the location of the black tank. If the toilet is located over the tank it can gravity dump into the tank. If the toilet is not over the tank it has to be pumped (or vacuum flush).

Pump or vacuum motors add a lot of expense to the toilet.

With a gravity flush toilet, there are electronic/electric flush models too. I have one (SeaLand Opus Magnum). This model has an electric switch (wall mounted) or a handle on the toilet, where you lift handle (or press switch up) to add water and press down to flush. I like the handle model over the more traditional RV foot pedal flush mechanisms.

Is this the info you are asking about?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Some used to have macerator pumps built in, some used to have a reciprocating pump motor that did the job of pumping the handle for you. Most common these days are vacuflush types. A major refit if you are considering an upgrade.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

With a gravity flush toilet, there are electronic/electric flush models too. I have one (SeaLand Opus Magnum). This model has an electric switch (wall mounted) or a handle on the toilet, where you lift handle (or press switch up) to add water and press down to flush. I like the handle model over the more traditional RV foot pedal flush mechanisms.

Is this the info you are asking about?
Yes. I have a "top of the line" Microphor electric gravity flush toilet that is 24 years of age.....

Repairs are becoming frequent and expensive since parts are only available from one vendor and the toilet is no longer made. (So far about $300 invested for parts in the past 18 months along with hours of inexperienced labor in tiny areas.)

Having not ever used a pump flush gravity toilet, I do not know what the major benefit is that I have been unknowingly enjoying.

I am trying to decide whether to replace the toilet with electric for more money or save money and maybe be just as happy.....
Old 12-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our coach's rear bath has an "electronic flush" toilet. This type insures you use sufficient water to move the waste to the black tank. It is not a vacuum or macerator type system. So it will probably be more reliable that those systems, however it will not be as reliable as a gravity drop conventional toilet.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
What is the benefit of having an electric operated toilet?

I bought a motor home with an electric toilet. The previous owner told me it had failed 2 times in five years. Each time was an expensive repair at an inopportune time.

I removed my working electric commode and installed a manual one. More reliable, less expensive, less water usage for drycamping.

If you like "pushing the button", would be the only reason to keep the electric unit. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
Our coach's rear bath has an "electronic flush" toilet. This type insures you use sufficient water to move the waste to the black tank. It is not a vacuum or macerator type system. So it will probably be more reliable that those systems, however it will not be as reliable as a gravity drop conventional toilet.
------------

But IMHO it sure makes the Flush Easy - one of the things we will always have in the Coach,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

In certain Fleetwood motorhomes, the VacuFlush toilet was installed because they stack the waste tanks to make more basement storage space available. The black is no longer located directly under the toilet, so waste must be pumped to the tank. RVs with 2 toilets share the black tank, which also requires pumping of waste. I'd gladly give up basement storage to have a gravity toilet, and if we ever have another RV it will not have any electric toilet features, period.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #9

Hi. If you have a vacuum flush toilet, don't put any toilet paper into it. The paper is the cause of all the problems. 2. Find the circuit breaker so if it pops you will know where it is. It took me three years to find the breaker location in my rig. I received many wiring diagrams from the manufacturer , and they said "multiple locations" Pete.
fawnlake3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlake3a View Post
Hi. If you have a vacuum flush toilet, don't put any toilet paper into it. The paper is the cause of all the problems. 2. Find the circuit breaker so if it pops you will know where it is. It took me three years to find the breaker location in my rig. I received many wiring diagrams from the manufacturer , and they said "multiple locations" Pete.
IMHO cause of most problems in vacuflush heads is the complicated and fairly fragile flush mechanism on the throne. Proper tp and sufficient water should keep things flowing. I've fixed or replaced many of the flush assemblies over the years in boats, where arguably they are used less. Other common failures include the bowl/ball gasket (dried out in storage) and the pressure switch on the vac pump. I do get it that more water means the tank fills faster, but that's the trade off. Fill the bowl with water, enjoy the go, and flush away.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"deandec"....as stated above, you didn't mention what type of electric toilet. My Monaco Diplomat had an Aria porcelain toilet (gravity type over tank) that had an electric flush button. With this toilet, it was really more about luxury. From the porcelain to the push button flush.

Many new motor homes are being forced to go to pump or macerator styles for a reason. As motor homes get more sophisticated and people demand better floorplans, it gets tougher to place the toilets directly over a black tank. In large DP's, the current rage is a full rear bath and a half bath mid coach to be used while driving. Consequently, you need a way to move what's in the toilet to the black tank.

Our coach has macerator toilets nd grinds everything to a slush before it reaches the black tank. This is actually good, as you reduce the issue of solids collecting in the tank.

My sister had a new Fleetwood Southwind with the vacuum flush system, which is a vacuum pump. Unless theirs wasn't working correctly, I would never want one. It was loud and noisy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
They are loud for sure, both the flush and the vac recharge.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"deandec"....as stated above, you didn't mention what type of electric toilet. My Monaco Diplomat had an Aria porcelain toilet (gravity type over tank) that had an electric flush button. With this toilet, it was really more about luxury. From the porcelain to the push button flush.

Yes, I have only experience with a full porcelain electric direct drop toilet in a single bathroom.

I need to replace the current Microphor toilet. The Aria electric and manual models are full porcelain so have higher price tags.

But the electric version is a bit more expensive.

I therefore want to learn the benefit difference between the two types of toilets as I have no experience with the foot pump types.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"deandec".....You just need to decide how much you want to spend. As I said, the porcelain and electric is a luxury, not a necessity. Obviously, the foot pedal type would require pumping after use. One thing I would watch carefully when you replace your old one....the height and the type of seat, round or oblong. Round is okay for small butts, but the oblong gives you more space to do your business. The reason I mention this.....you might be use to and comfortable at a certain height and seat type, but when changing toilets, you could end up with something completely different and be unhappy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, toilet