Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

electric water heater "switch"

Our electric hot water heater switch is a simple "toggle style" wall switch mounted under our kitchen cabinet. The switch has three settings... (1) up for ON (2) middle for OFF (3) ....?

Does anyone know "what" the third position for this switch controls?

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
On our three way heater switch there are two heating elements, down is one element, middle is off, up is both heating elements for quicker recovery!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

On our Fleetwood the "up" position is for the microwave. 30 amp service can't run both microwave and water heater at the same time.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Jack 1234, if you have 50 amp service in your coach, then Sparkydog will have your answer, beyond that you need to compare W/H brands and models #'s with him, or run a check at the tank to check for a second element, and when it is powered up. If you do have a dual element set up and are staying at a park with only 30 amp power ,as per Sam's advice, use only one element or you could brown yourself out.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Great... Many thanks for the advice & comments... Easy enough to check... After my morning shower, I'll check the amp draw with the switch UP & with the switch DOWN...if we have two elements it should be pretty easy to see which is which.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The brand and model of water heater would also be a good clue - very few have dual elements. I'm not aware of any in recent production, but I could be wrong.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

FYI- our water heater is a Suburban SW10DE and it does not have two heating elements. In order to get to the bottom of this issue I decided to give Rexhall a call.... duuuuuuuh! According to them the switch is to be used in conjunction with the generator and it separates the hot water heater from the microwave.

Unfortunately, I was so anxious to get the answer to my question it was not until I had hung-up that I could not understand why a 7500watt generator can run 2 AC units and not be able to run a hot water heater & the microwave at the same time? I know the micro & the heater pull around 22amps which must be more tan the generator can handle?

Maybe someone who is a whiz with watts, amps, etc. can clarify this issue?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #8

Smile Hi! to water heater switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Our electric hot water heater switch is a simple "toggle style" wall switch mounted under our kitchen cabinet. The switch has three settings... (1) up for ON (2) middle for OFF (3) ....?

Does anyone know "what" the third position for this switch controls?

Cheers
I do have the same switch, but in my Motorhome that switch is for the Microwave, and the water heater, and in the meadle, is off, usually at nigth in the campground we set on the switch for the water heater,so we will had all day long hot water, and at nigth too.during the day my wife turn to the microwave.

My rig, 2003 Pace Arrow 8.1 Vortec
dinkie0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #9

Dinkie...your switch would appear to be the same as ours "except" when we are attached to "power" (30 or 50a) the switch only controls the water heater on/off and does nothing to the microwave. According to Rexhall the switch only becomes "active" when we unplug and start using the generator.

My question is "why" can my 7500w generator power both my AC units at he same time while 30a power cannot..... yet 30a power can handle the heater & the micro at the same time while the 7500w generator cannot..... This does not seem logical to me. (have not yet had the opportunity to test the switch with the generator to see if Rexhall is correct or just blowing smoke!)

Cheers
Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
The brand and model of water heater would also be a good clue - very few have dual elements. I'm not aware of any in recent production, but I could be wrong.
I think the confusion about two elements is because I have Aqua Hot. It states that there are two 2000 watt elements, but you can only use both if on generator or 50amp service only. My rig is 2008 HR Imperial.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water