Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

Electrical

Hi Everybody,
I have a 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE diesel with a 330 Cat on a Spartan chassis. My wife was following me and told me I had no turn signals or brake lights. We just picked this motorhome up last week and haven't driven it at night. The signal indicators on the dash work. Any clues or suggestions that might be the problem. Any help would be appreciated.I don't know where the fuse or relay might be. Owners manual doesn't go into detail.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Most chassis fuses are in an electrical compartment on left front, under driver's station. Check there for chassis fuses.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

Check the ground to the frame for the rear lights. Also check to see if what they are grounded to is actually grounded. I had a similar problem in my coach and found the grounding stud was not a good ground. I ran a wire from the actual frame to the frame in the rear and all is good now.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 08-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

A call to Spartan Motor Home support line would be in order ( have your serial number handy) for chassis wiring diagrams and schematics. These documents will tell you if your chassis has a remote fuse/relay box for the rear lighting.

1-800-543-4277
www.spartanchassis.com
Old 08-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

When I first picked up my Fleetwood Revolution I thought there was a serious problem with my rear lights
Turned out to be blown bulbs. I think there was 5 total blown.
Changed bulbs, never had a further issue.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
of course check the bulbs first, your getting the dash lights but how about the front turn signals? Is it the same bulb for brake and turn? Then check the 4 ways or hazard lights, the brakes and turn signals run thru the 4 ways, some times turning them on and off a couple of times cleans them up
Old 08-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

I had an issue one time on my chassis that a connector in the harness came unplugged.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 08-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

This may be different on some chassis but i thought that on most vehicles, the dash indicators would come on solid if a bulb was bad. Not sure how the indicator would act with a blown fuse, bad ground, or other lose connection but i would lean towards one of those..
Old 08-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
This may be different on some chassis's but i thought that on most vehicles, the dash indicators would come on solid if a bulb was bad. Not sure how the indicator would act with a blown fuse, bad ground, or other lose connection but i would lean towards one of those..
Many vehicles in automotive , were equipped with a load sensitive signal flasher , that would , flicker instead of flash or not flash , to tell the driver there was a bulb out. Once a HD flasher was installed ; for trailer towing or in the case of coaches, side signals ; the feature wasn't available.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
This may be different on some chassis but i thought that on most vehicles, the dash indicators would come on solid if a bulb was bad. Not sure how the indicator would act with a blown fuse, bad ground, or other lose connection but i would lean towards one of those..
An RV uses heavy duty flashers to handle the addition of trailer lights, they might change speed when a bulb is out, but usually won't because of the heavy duty flasher.

If the OP has checked fuses, the next step would be to check for 12v (+) at the taillights. If the power is coming in, then check ground connections. A jumper wire will by-pass a bad ground and verify if the bulb and socket are good.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the replies. I found a blown fuse that took care of the problem.

Tags
electrical