Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Electrical charging problems

I have a 1994 Damon Challenger that is on a Ford chassis.
Everything was working fine and this year for some reason and then I realized the house batteries were dead. So put a charger on them and they seem to be okay but with a meter on they dont seem to be charging now.
They wont charge with the RV plugged into shore power or with the engine running or Generator. The Alternator is working and charges the engine battery at 13.8V Just seems nothing is getting back to the house batteries.

With the RV plugged into shore power the transformer is working as all the 12v lights work so I think the transformer is working.

Any ideas where to look would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure one of our experts will be along shortly to point you in the right direction. I'm betting it'll be toward one of two solenoids.

Do you have a "battery boost" switch? You might want to put the meter on your house batteries while someone pushes this switch. If you see the voltage suddenly jump to match the voltage of the chassis batteries it'll help you narrow down the problem by probably eliminating this solenoid as the culprit.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Thats what I was thinking too (solenoid) I did a quick check of the two I see on the firewall and they both had voltage on both terminals. So was hoping someone might know where else to look.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Rob, I have moved your thread into the Class A Motorhome forum where hopefully you'll get more views.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the converter is working (by the way, Do you know it's make and model) but the batteries are not charging either on shore/generator power OR engine power.. My first suspects are the AUX disconnect switch and solenoid, Suspect #2 is any circuit breaker that may (or may not) exist between battery and said solenoid.

IF you have an Intelletec Battery Control system under the hood.. Look at the bottom of it and see if there are a pair of PUSH TO RESET circuit breakers there .. If so push up VERY HARD. Other makes of battery control systems, Likely have a similar feature but I do not have the manual.

Next suspect is the battery cable ends, all 4 (or six or however many) of them, Are the connections good and clean?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

I will look under the hood and see if I can find any type of control unit. Thanks

Tags
charging, electrical