Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Electrical Gremlin??

I've got an electrical gremlin that has me at a loss and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've got a 2000 Fleetwood Expedition 36t with 30amp service. I'm having a problem where both front and rear tv's along with the microwave shut off. It doesn't matter if I'm on campground power or generator power. Both tv's and microwave will work fine for hours and then all of a sudden shut off. Everything else in the coach still works fine when this happens. I've checked everything I can think of... fuses, breakers, GFCI, loose wires,etc... If I shut everything down and power everything back it up it will sometimes remedy the problem and others not. Sometimes it'll come back on by itself. It seems to have no cycle or reason that can help me isolate the problem. We do have two a/c's from the factory and that does work our 30amp service to the point where in the summer heat we will occasionally trip the campsite breaker. But even on the generator which supplies sufficient power for both a/c's the problems still exist. I'm trying not to let the shop troubleshoot a problem that only exist periodically as the labor could go through the roof while they try to get the problem to present itself but I'm out of ideas?????
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to run microwave and both a/c's at the same time. When the problem occurs I just noticed that along with the tv's the microwave also lost power. My system automatically shuts off the rear a/c when I run the microwave.

Thanks is advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

I wonder what connections going to the power monitor? I know the rear air conditioner is the first to be shed, but I wonder if the TV is also monitored by that system. If so, maybe the monitor brain is going bad and shutting off the TV's and Microwave.

Have you asked for the electrical diagrams for your unit from Fleetwood? These are a big help in finding electrical problems. At least you could see what ties your non function components together.

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

Just noticed you are a new around here.

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Griffsride,

Got an idea that the microwave and TVs are on the same circuit and are being shed for some reason, maybe low voltage. The power monitoring system may not be smart and sheds loads in a preferred order. The microwave is a big draw when running and the power monitoring system may assume that it is running so it sheds that circuit. Can you put a night light in the receptacle with your TV and see if the power is completely lost when the TV blanks out? JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Would your TVs and Microwave be running on the inverter side of things and the inverter may be overheating and shutting down, then coming back on? Know nothing about your coach, but sometimes a guess gets close or pointed in the right direction.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

My 01 Discovery has a 458 Xantrex that does power share. The tv and micro and 1 a/c are on one circuit form the 458. Mine is 50 amp but I think you have the power share system also. (tow switches on front of 458) My 458 failed in Jan, would over heat and drop out,would reset when cooled,maybe you are experiencing early symptoms of failure.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood RV Manuals
This site has manuals for Fleetwood products. Electric shows diagram of rv electric system,showing inverter wires.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
It does sound like a heat-related inverter problem. Is your inverter Fan operating? Just sounds like the Inverter 120VAC Passthru circuitry is overheating and then resetting after a cooldown period.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a clue perhaps: You said "Microwave and both TV's?

Questions

1: When this happens do the outlets in kitchen bath and the one outside on the patio have power (NO is good but Yes it not necessarly bad)

2 DO YOU HAVE AN INVERTER? (That is the big question)

The loads listed, Tv's Microwave and optionally the GFCI chain (Bath, kitchen and patio) are all common inverter feeds.

If your inverter is an in-line, as mine is, the transfer switch therein may be having issues, or it may be invertign, runnign the batteries down, then dropping out and not alarming. due to an internal issue, but that is my #1 suspect here.

#2 and #3 are your Auto Transfer switch (Short/Generator) and the shore power itself,,, If all the flakey loads ARE ON THE SAME LEG of the lll oh wait, you said it was a 30 amp rig, disregard that. No, wait, you said 30 amp SERVICE .. IF it is a 50 amp rig on 30 amp service then the Dogbone is #2 and the ATS #3 on my list.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #10

After investigating using the excellent advice above, if you haven't found the problem, you might check your patio outlets. Since many circuits are daisy chained (just like a stick & brick home) an open circuit along the line can cause several other outlets to go dead, but not cause a blown CB or GFI.

Patio outlets can be exposed to the elements and can simply crumble & fall apart, leading to an open circuit. When mine did that, you couldn't tell by looking at it. Had to pull it out to find the fault. Drove me crazy for a year as it was intermittent like your problem.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #11

Wow, thanks for some great suggestions. I did get the electrical drawings from Fleetwood as bigd9 suggested. I found out that both tv's and the microwave are on the same line coming from the inverter. The motorhome is being used by a family member this weekend so I'll have to troubleshoot some more when they're back.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #12

Ok, I found out from the drawings that Fleetwood sent that both tv's and the microwave are indeed on the same leg out of my inverter/charger. The fan is operating on the inverter but I'm not sure how to tell if it's working properly meaning that it's coming on when it's suppose to. Any tips on how to troubleshoot the inverter/charger? I plan on checking the actual wire coming out the inverter/charger when the problem arises to make sure that the outlet line is actually dead and it's not downstream of the inverter. Any others suggestions would be greatly apprectiated!! Can inverters be repaired or does it usually make more financial sense to just replace them??

Thanks again for all the great information. This site certainly makes owning your first RV a lot more enjoyable!!!

Tags
electrical