Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Electrical Help for my 99 Dutchstar!

I have a 99 Newmar Dutchstar with a 7500 w generator. I have the 8.3 Cummings in it and it has an inverter. I need help figuring out my power issue. Randomly, my auxiliary will stop working (outlets, etc...) I always have lights and the fridge always works (plugged in, on the battery, or running the generator). If I start the generator (and not plugged into shore power) I can run the AC too. None of my outlets work in the coach. If I shut the generator off and plug in, nothing changes. It is not a ground fault issue as I checked both outlets and there is no power coming to the outlet. I have the Heart Freedom Interface (model 20) for the control panel for the invertor. If I flip the switch a few times, I can get the power running to the auxiliary power again. Not all the time. It is random. Last night it did not work again. If I turn the switch to off, nothing shuts off on the panel. All of the lights stay lite (charge, invertor, volts, etc...) I shut the switch off last night and unplugged the shore power. I turned the switch back on, and it worked fine. I had auxiliary power. Neither breaker was tripped on the invertor either.

Could it be the control panel switch itself? The invertor is always running if I plug it into shore power.

I am a newbie and need some help!
Adam
Brajo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

Adam; Welcome to iRV2, and the Newmar family .

Your coach being equipped with the Cummins engine ; I'll assume you have a Spartan chassis, not that make a difference to this type of problem.
My 99 doesn't have the Hart inverter option , so my knowledge of it's operation is limited to what I've read , here in the forums.
Until a member with the Hart unit finds your post and replies, about the only thing to check; with the gen set off, no shore power and the coach batteries disconnected ; is every 120 volt connection at the inverter and in the , breaker box . Over time and with the shaking of the coach going down the road , the screws that tighten on the wiring can come loose and cause all kinds of erratic issues.
I have the original owners manual for my coach and will read up on the Hart system to see if I can add any info. Have a VHS tape for the coach also , but no player for it .
Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know how your specific coach is wired as I don't have it.... but here is the sequence of what I would suggest you check in order to figure out what could be wrong.

Check first that you have both 120 phases coming into your circuit breaker box. Make this check running on shorepower, and make this check running on the generator. This will verify that both phases are making it thru the shore plug, cord, reel (if you have one), transfer switch, and wire to the breaker. On the generator side, it will verify the power is making it thru the transfer switch, and to the breaker. Your symptoms don't clarify that 'both' phases are making it thru, only at least one to power the A/C.

Assuming you are comfortable working with electricity, pull the circuit breaker box cover off, and put your AC voltmeter on the main breaker wires, measuring each phase (red or white) to neutral black (120v), each phase to green/bare ground (120v), and phase to phase (should be 240 on shorepower, could be either 240 or 0 on generator depending on whether your generator delivers 240v or just 120v).

Let me know whether those voltages check out (or what you got different), and we'll proceed with further checks based on your results.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it out and let you know what I find!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

Information from the 99 Manual.
The Heart inverter , only feeds some 120volt outlets in the coach , microwave, kitchen , TV , and lights. I don't understand the " lights " because there are only 12 volt lights in my coach.
Anyhow the power flow diagrams , are lacking in detail to put it mildly.
120 volt power from shore or gen set go through the main auto-transfer switch, to the MAIN breaker panel ; that has the dual 50 amp breakers , along with the individual circuit breakers.
Some of the individual breakers ( two I suspect; the paperwork isn't specific which breakers) feed 120 volt power to the inverter, an internal transfer switch in the inverter, detects the incoming power and the inverter , switches modes to converter/charger and supplies charging voltage to the batteries.
The inverter ( when inverting power from the batteries OR when the internal transfer switch is active ) supplies power to a , secondary breaker panel , that has a MAIN 30 amp breaker and 3, 15 amp circuit breakers , for the microwave , kitchen outlets , TV and lights (?).
None of the Heart control panel operation is covered in my manual , it refers the owner to a Heart manual supplied separately. Which of course I don't have.
If when your outlets are not working , your A/C units work on shore or gen set power , your main auto transfer switch and breakers in the MAIN panel are ok, you'll have to check the secondary breaker panel for power in from the inverter. The inverter's internal auto transfer switch would appear to be the issue.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
measuring each phase (red or white) to neutral black (120v),
Sorry, I just reread my note and realize I made an error.

The two incoming phases are Red and Black, not Red and White. Whites are the neutrals in AC, different in DC.

It's the two wires that are on the dualwide 50amp 'main' circuit breaker, that are important in this first step. Those two wires, and their measurement to the neutral common buss bar (whites) and ground buss bar (green/bares).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Adam welcome to irv2.
All the links below in my signature are Newmar related.
They will cover your power systems and wiring and fusing of your coach and invertor/converter info.
Read through them than join us in the Newmar forum with a different question from what you have gathered in the links.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #8

Great information. My lights always work regardless of the power issues. Sorry about the confusion. I am assuming I have to take the inverter apart to get to the internal switch?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajo50 View Post
I am assuming I have to take the inverter apart to get to the internal switch?
I'm assuming the inverter has an internal logic module and auto transfer switch. Like I said that's option my coach doesn't have . I don't know if that company ( Heart) is still in business or has a web site for further info , or parts for that matter.

Tags
electrical