Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electrical Help Needed

I have a problem that I haven't encountered before. Generator tripped one of the breakers on the gen. Not sure that's important since it's AC but now my water pump is not working and the panel that houses the water pump on off switch is not powered either-the switch is on the monitor panel and none of that has power. Everything else in the rv is working normally and I've checked every fuse I can find on the DC distribution panel in the rv as well as the panel by the drivers seat and some fuses in a couple of other places. For what it's worth, the in line fuse on the water pump is fine. Is there another fuse to search for or have I fried something else. It seems strange that all I've lost is the pump and system monitor panel. Thanks in advance for your help.

2000 Allegro Bay
F53
Triton V10
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

Have you pulled the panel to check for power to the connector on the panel circuit board ?
Have you tested the fuses you found with an ohm meter or test light, tested the fuse holder with a test light or volt meter?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #3

How about the switch, itself? See if there is power going to it and if any comes out when activated.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I do not know the Allegro, but when resetting breakers, always turn the
breakers OFF---->then ON to reset them!
Did you check if your House Switch is turned to ON or put to IN USE?
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas. The switch is on and all breakers reset. When I get home today I'll get the meter out and check for power behind the panel. Since there are two different pump switches and neither one works, I'm inclined to believe that the circuit is bad. Since fuses are good, I'm still baffled as to what's next except prayer as always...
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does it have another switch in the wet bay.?? for pump winterizeing
Don
Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi memphisflyer,
Allegro may be different, but the water pump and monitor panel are usually on the same fuse. Consider pulling the fuse and putting a meter on it. See if there is continuity in the fuse. Next check the fuse socket and see if you can find 12 VDC power to the fuse socket. This will guide the balance of the diagnostic.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Frustrated with this one. Power tested throughout the 12V panel. Good fuses and good power. Still nothing on the monitor and pump doesn't come on. I realized that I should check for voltage at the pump since if there is, I'll know it's a ground so I'll do that next. I've looked at every fuse on the chassis panel, under the hood, and on a couple of other odd items. I've also checked that everything else in the RV is indeed working including charging circuit. I'm assuming that I'm looking for a mysterious ground or a mystery fuse that I can't see. Very worried now as I can't think what else to check. I guess I could put 12 V directly on the pump and be certain that the pump turns but since the monitor panel is out as well, I don't think it's the pump. Thanks y'all.

Martin
<><
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
This may not help for a Bounder,but my Dutch Star has a fuse in the 12 Volt
panel that is marked: Monitor/Water Pump (10 Amp)
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Found it!

Well I feel dumb now. Whenever I heard someone refer to the "DC Distribution Panel" I assumed they were talking about the DC panel in the coach with all the flat fuses on it and that's what I've been focused on. This week, I found a mystery little box down near my battery disconnect solenoid and the converter. It has a bunch of small grey boxes that turn out to be DC breakers. I checked it out and this is actually the panel that gets DC power initially and then distributes it on. Sure enough, one of those was tripped and after resetting it, the water pump and monitor panel work fine and have for several days. I don't know what caused the initial overload although I did check and clean up several rusty chassis grounds. I feel dumb but now I've learned one more thing about my motorhome and honestly I'm enjoying the learning process - just wish I knew more. Thanks as always for all the help, you folks are awesome. Have a blessed day!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #11

Thanks for posting that you got your problem fixed .

A hint , keep notes for yourself , I have found fuses and 12v c/b's in 10 locations around the coach, and I'm sure when panic to find a fuse sets in I'll forget at least one.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thanks for posting that you got your problem fixed .

A hint , keep notes for yourself , I have found fuses and 12v c/b's in 10 locations around the coach, and I'm sure when panic to find a fuse sets in I'll forget at least one.
A very good idea. Especially when it is raining, cold, and after dark. That is when things normally go south for me. You might divide a loose leaf binder into sections on the various systems....
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had to laugh on the first long trip I took with my allegro bus the power cable for the GPS unit had a short in it and blew the fuse for my cigarette lighter where it was plugged in. I spent two hours with the wiring diagram finding fuses and checking them. There were fuses under the refrigerator there were fuses in the storage compartment under the drivers side front of the bus. there were fuses under the dash under the pull out storage drawers in front of the dash. I found the correct fuses three times but they were not labled and I thought that it was not them.

Also since you have two pump switches ( the bus has three) they are controlled by a solid state relay somewhere. On the bus if you look at the left side of the water compartment where the filter is located. inward of that and about 3 or 4 inches above the panel that comes down and hides the tanks. ( you can get to it without taking anything out) is the solid state relay. Mine got wet and burnt out my particular problem you could push the switch on and the light would come on and the pump would come on but as soon as you let go of the switch everything would go out.

On my bus those switches provide the ground path for the relay. If you look at them looking for +12 volts you will not see anything.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote