Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
electrical - house short?

Ive noticed, after installing new house batts and today a new chassis batt that on connection and without the negative cable attached, arcing when connecting the positive cable to the battery.
That seemed odd back in May and now again today.
Do I have a house short
Thx, rB

ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Ive noticed, after installing new house batts and today a new chassis batt that on connection and without the negative cable attached, arcing when connecting the positive cable to the battery.
That seemed odd back in May and now again today.
Do I have a house short
Thx, rB
Let me make sure i understand. You are installing the battery. You do not have the negative cable hooked up when you put the positive cable on the battery it arcs. Do you have anything at all hooked to the negative post of the battery. I do not see how it could arc if no connections on either terminal then when putting the first connection on it arcs

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #3

Make sure you haven't installed one of the batteries backwards
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The house batts are placed into the hold in such a way as to preclude crossed wires and the same goes for the new chassis batt. Am I grounded somewhere so that one side of a batt connection completes the loop?
Old 07-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #5

What you describe goes against the basic laws of physics. Electricity can not flow without two connections.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though unlike others I DO understand how some arching can happen even with NOTHING hooked to the negative cable.. Enough for all but the most senistive of test gear to notice surprises me greatly.

Suggest you remove all cables from the battery and using a volt meter measure voltage positive post to battery tray, You may have a problem with that battery.

Also if any acid mix sloshed out during install.. that can do it.

And for those who do not know how arcing can happen under the conditions mentioned.. I will only tell you study electronics.. I did.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Sure , you would get some mili amp draw on an old or dirty battery, but an arch?, The the OP stated , he has new batteries.

I would look for the hold downno bracket hitting the neg post, especially if the new batteries are dual post type..
Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ive always hooked up a new battery by connecting the positive terminal first
so the negative wire is just hanging and not touching anything while I hook up.
In both instances the red would spark when touching my battery box with the house batts and in the case of the chassis batt I could hear an accessory starting each time I touched the red wire to the battery post - very strange.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #9

This week I experienced a similar situation. With the negative chassis cable disconnected from the battery my motorhome engine would start. Several times in fact. I am troubleshooting now. Generator won't crank and levelers work intermittently! I am very confused.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #10

What happens if you disconnect the ground on the starter battery? Is it possible that through the charger (if it is capable of charging both engine and house batteries) there is a ground being enabled?
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #11

Fleetwood told me that the chassis & house batteries are tied together when above 12.3 volts.
See if you have volts on the house battery + & - cables when not hooked to anything.
Mine show volts and spark when touching battery cable to +.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:35 AM   #12

My apologies. When i say negative chassis battery I was speaking of the starter cable. House batteries would be coach cables.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #13

On my National on the starter battery there are two red/hot cables. One to the starter and one to the interconnect solenoid. The one to the interconnect solenoid is hot when disconnected from starter battery with the key off. Shouldnt it be dead?

Tags
electrical