Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Electrical Issue

Need ideas! 2010 Hurricane. No DC power when unless hooked up to shore power or running generator. Coach batteries are newer but I pit a fresh charge on them anyway. Chassis electrical is fine.

The only coach DC fuse/breakers I can find are under the bed. These are all ok. Where else might I look?

Anyone want to share similar experiences and offer suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Using a voltmeter, take a voltage measurement with the probes on the Lead posts of the batteries. Then take a voltage reading on the battery cables. This will sometimes expose a dirty or corroded connection. If the voltage is lower (or non-existant on the cables, clean your terminals.

If the voltage is the same, then measure between the + terminal and a chassis ground. Again, if the voltage is less, you may have a corroded or dirty ground connection where the - cable attaches to the chassis.

If there is less the 12 volts measured at the battery terminals, you may have one or more bad cells in the battery. It's best to measure all voltages with a load on the battery. A battery can read good but as soon as it is put to work, it can drop faster than Paris Hilton's shorts.

A good way to check for bad cells in the battery is to purchase a hydrometer:
Amazon.com: Deka Standard Battery Hydrometer: Automotive
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #3

Look on your control panel for a Battery Disconnect Switch, should have off and on function.
Look at your house batteries often located under the steps on a gasser unit and see if a disconnect switch has been installed there.
Hope this helps
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reset CB5 (50 amp DC gray/silver circuit breaker) in your Battery control Center (BCC) located under the hood drivers side Labeled "RV Custom Products" FW-2050. CB5 is located on the edge of the circuit board and has a small black button on the side. Press it in.

By the way, did you get the recall notice on this BCC. Read this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ll-169291.html
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

It worked! Thanks for your help. Can I put you on speed dial?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your are welcome.

Please take a look at the recall notice on the BCC and get it done. If not, you could loose all chassis power while your driving. This could be be very dangerous.

It is an easy fix. Thor came out with a revision to the recall. The revision says to move the wire on the "Chassis Battery switched" terminal to the "Chassis Battery" terminal. The Chassis disconnect switch will still work except that your "ignition" is still powered.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #7

Update.

Dealer replaced coach batteries under the battery warranty and double checked the charging system. All is ok. I am nervous about what caused them to go bad in a matter of months.

You were right. The recall mod had not been applied to my coach. The dealer took care of that too.

I have it out for the weekend and so far all is ok. Thanks again for the good guidance.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again, glad to help.

The 2 best modifications I made to my Motorhome was installing a good battery monitor and surge protector. I think these 2 items should be standard equipment on all RVs.

The battery monitor shows every .1 of amp and volts going in or out of my batteries at any time. It shows "State of Charge" (SOC). I mounted it my hallway next to my coach control panel. This one cost about $150 plus the shunt and wiring about $200 total.

Trimetric 2025RV Battery System Monitor

That monitors the DC side of the coach and this one monitors and protects the AC side of the coach.

EMS-HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display

I know $375 is a lot of money, but I consider it insurance, if the power drops to 104 volts or above 132 volts it shuts off power and protects your Air conditioner and TV, the first time your in a campground and a storm front comes through and the power flickers and surges . Your be glad you have one. I have read horror stories about plugging into a new campground and the power is bad and destroys the converter, TV, microwave, and Air conditioner, or refrigerator. Or your at a rally where they supply 50 RVs off one big generator and one of the RV starts a generator and backfeeds into the power line, you will be glad you have one. Progressive Dynamics has a lifetime limited warranty, so if it works because of a power surge and the surge protector is damaged in the process, you can get it repaired or replaced for free. I like having the display inside next to my coach control panel. They supply 14 foot cable for the display, I made one 25 foot to reach my coach display panel.

Tags
electrical