Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Electrical issue

I am having a problem with my 2004 monaco lapalma. When I am plugged into shore or with generator running I have 5 of my neighbors who can not use their garage remotes. Hard wired buttons work. If I turn off the breaker to the front ac and the microwave the remotes work? Mine included. I called monaco and they thought it was my inverter? I don't have an inverter. They had no other suggestions? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Electrical gremlins

I have a 2004 monaco lapalma. I have issues and so far I don't think anyone can relate. When plugged into shore or with the generator running 5 of my neighbors and myself can't use the remotes for the garage doors. Only the hard wired buttons work? If I turn the breakers for the microwave and the front ac the remotes will work. Tried calling monaco and they thought maybe inverter? Well don't have one. They had no other thoughts and surely think I am nuts as all others I have contacted. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you isolate it to just the microwave causing the interference, by unplugging just it and nothing else? Microwaves are an RF radiator and can be a source of radio interference.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

I'd check the power to the receiver for the remotes. Base that on it seems you are on AC it does not work but when on Batt power it does. I don't know enough about the system to say more but anyone who trouble shoots it will learn the primary power path. ;-)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
i have unplugged the microwave and no change. still need to have 2 breakers turned off (micro & front ac)to open my garage with remote opener or wireless keypad? from my calls and talks guess it's never happened to anyone before? guess they think i am nuts..open to any and all suggestions. thank you for the responses.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOKER View Post
I am having a problem with my 2004 monaco lapalma. When I am plugged into shore or with generator running I have 5 of my neighbors who can not use their garage remotes. Hard wired buttons work. If I turn off the breaker to the front ac and the microwave the remotes work? Mine included. I called monaco and they thought it was my inverter? I don't have an inverter. They had no other suggestions? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible that you have some Thinlight fluorescent lights? These light are a known source of electronic interference. Just thought that you might have turned lights on or off also. Thinlite knows about this issue & might be able to help.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
x2 with what Steve said. Lights have also effected slide controls, fridge and Micro.
The defective ballast sends out a radio frequency.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Is it possible that you have some Thinlight fluorescent lights? These light are a known source of electronic interference. Just thought that you might have turned lights on or off also. Thinlite knows about this issue & might be able to help.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve I am going to assume that his thinlight florescent lights are 12 volts. If he is turning off AC breakers that would not affect the fluorescent lights.

To the OP if you do not turn off your AC breaker have you tried unplugging your microwave and see if that makes a change. IF you unplug your microwave and that does not fix it then you need to see what the front AC breaker feeds. If it is your microwave that needs to be fixed pretty soon. For that many remotes not to work at that distance you have something that is broadcasting a fairly large rf signal at that frequency. I am not too worried about absorbing enough RF energy to be an issue although it is a concern. I am worried about anyone with a pace maker being near that much leakage.

Let us know what you find. Since yours is not working this should be fairly simple. Just turn off or unplug anything that is fed by that breaker until the problem stops
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Steve I am going to assume that his thinlight florescent lights are 12 volts. If he is turning off AC breakers that would not affect the fluorescent lights.

To the OP if you do not turn off your AC breaker have you tried unplugging your microwave and see if that makes a change. IF you unplug your microwave and that does not fix it then you need to see what the front AC breaker feeds. If it is your microwave that needs to be fixed pretty soon. For that many remotes not to work at that distance you have something that is broadcasting a fairly large rf signal at that frequency. I am not too worried about absorbing enough RF energy to be an issue although it is a concern. I am worried about anyone with a pace maker being near that much leakage.

Let us know what you find. Since yours is not working this should be fairly simple. Just turn off or unplug anything that is fed by that breaker until the problem stops

I agree. I just thought he might have turned the lights off also but did not associate that with the problem.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOKER View Post
i have unplugged the microwave and no change. still need to have 2 breakers turned off (micro & front ac)to open my garage with remote opener or wireless keypad? from my calls and talks guess it's never happened to anyone before? guess they think i am nuts..open to any and all suggestions. thank you for the responses.
There is still some source of RF being generated by those circuits. Carefully check what other electronics are being powered by those circuits, e.g., TVs, radios, power convertors, battery chargers, computer power supply. Most electronics have RF filters on there power supplies. If the RF filter fails, the RF signal will stray. The RF may backfeed down the SP line and be transmitted on the house power circuit. Are all your neighbor on the same pole power transformer? Since you don't have an inverter, you may want to try this. When on SP, ensure you still can not operate the garage door remotely with the circuits energized. THEN start your generator and see if you can still not operate the garage door remotely. If you can operate it, then you know the RF is backfeeding through the power lines. If you can't operate it, you'll need to find the defective RF filter. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Since the openers transmit a set of codes to the door control head, they are apparently susceptible to radio interference.

The appliances are causing radio interference which prevents the remotes from transmitting the codes to operate the doors. Discussed here. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6234405AA0fQnT

This article says you may be able to track the interference with a portable am radio.. http://rfiservices.com/tips.htm
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
i have unplugged the mirco and it made no change. all the electronics up front are unplugged. will check the frig tomorrow there is nothing else plugged in as for the inside. there is a battery charger in the back that i unplugged before but will try again tomorrow. thank you for your thoughts and responses!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Anybody following my post know if the "ems board" could be the problem? Thank you again.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some thoughts. Both the front A/C and the Microwave are 120 volt devices, The lights in the RV are, for the most part 12 volt devices, and would not be affected by turning off the circuit breaker to the A/C and Microwave.. Now,

The Microwave and A/C should be on DIFFERENT breakers, not the same one...

Also there is a converter, some of them are very noisy

And the Fridge controller (At least one make) is a known RFI (Radio Freuency Interference) source.

A AM/FM hand held radio or a hand held short wave receiver may help to track down some RFI sources, but alas, Most remotes operate on a higher frequency and if what is known as the fundemental frequency is higher than Short Wave, those won't help find it.

I would try to narrow it down more by unplugging microwave.. If that fail contact me via P/M and I will try, I streess TRY to put you in touch with some experts. Wont' happen that fast though.

Tags
electrical