Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #1

Electrical Issue

Hi friends. Please help. Last two days the electricity to our Itasca Meridian 2013 disconnects and connects quickley. This causes some of the appliance to rest themselves.
I have connected the surge protector and shows no error. I also asked the campground to check the box and they said it is OK.
Please help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Hi friends. Please help. Last two days the electricity to our Itasca Meridian 2013 disconnects and connects quickley. This causes some of the appliance to rest themselves.
I have connected the surge protector and shows no error. I also asked the campground to check the box and they said it is OK.
Please help.
Lots of folks here want to help .... but need more info.

What exactly is dis/connecting quickly?

What surge protector are you using?

Any additional info always helps.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #3

I will assume you are refering to 120AC and not 12VDC as you mentioned "appliances" are reseting.
Could be your transfer switch relays, do you hear noises when it happens.
Otherwise a loose wire(s) in the AC panel?
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

I use progressive industry surge protector. It does not show any error. The last time this happened I checked and the power come to the coach. So it must be something in the coach that turns off. I hear a click in the electric compartment (same click when the shoreline is connected) and the power goes off. The monitor inside shows "no power source". It comes back sometime in less than a minute. This happens few time during the day and night.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing a bad transfer switch.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Progressive industries makes two levels of surge protector (3 devices) for either 30 or 50 amp

You need the one with the LCD, the other one is nice, but not nearly as good, You need the one with the LCD.

This one will drop power for a minimum of around 2 minutes, if the park looses power it shuts down long enough for air conditioners to bleed off most of the head pressure and thus protects them against overload and the tripped breakers and motor damage that occurs when you quickly switch them off and on again..

Also, it will tell you if the problem is from OUTSIDE or INSIDE, because if it is from OUTSIDE, it will shut down for a MINIMUM of 2 minutes, but if it's inside, 2 seconds is possible.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

I would also guess it is the transfer relay due to loose connections. Disconnect from shore power, turn off your house batteries, then tighten all the wire connections on the relay and power back up.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere. These can be extremely dangerous as there can be arcing and heat generated. You didn't say if the interruptions occurred randomly or when there is significant power being consumed such as the microwave or AC running. Assuming it only occurs when on shore power and not a problem in the power pedestal/outlet,I would first check the connections in both the transfer switch where the cord connects and the supply feed to your main breaker panel. Both are likely screw compression connections to the wiring and should be tight withbthe cable conductor firmly secured.
It could be that one or more connections were never properly tightened when built and the vibration over time has caused it to come loose. Unfortunately, you are chasing an "intermittent" problem which is not always easy to track down but following a logical sequence from the power cord to the panel will serve to progressively narrow down the location.
If this occurs when you are connected to a 50 amp service and only half the circuits go out, it is likely one side of the line. If both side go out, it is likely the neutral wire.
Good luck and make sure the power is completely off when you are doing the checks.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - a loose connection at the transfer switch, or a failing relay in the transfer switch.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #10

Hi all, thank you for responses and help. Well last night I decided to connect our 50amp input to our neighbor as they were only using the 30amp. Although campground had told me that they checked the power source and all was normal. The ground was bad also I was told. So the coach was doing what it was supposed to do. All is OK now and there has not been any outage since last night.

Thanks again and I feel very lucky to be a member of a great group that I can rely for help.

Tags
electrical