RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Electrical Issue?

2004 Revolution 40c
Yesterday the white wire (neutral) in my male shore plug (50a) came loose and apparently shorted against the red or black power leg wires while plugged into the RV park power.

Aside from all the damage it caused I have one issue I cant resolve.

I have restored 110v power to the drivers side. I cannot restore shore power to the passengers side plugs. Im sure the Xantrex inverter is damaged. I verified that there is still 110v power to the inverter and it appears to be running and both inverter breakers are on. Im pretty sure the inverter is not charging the batteries.

When I switch ON the inverter via the remote panel all passenger side plugs function. When i switch the inverter OFF i lose power to the passenger side plugs.

Question. — Does the shore 110v power pass thru the inverter when the inverter is OFF.? This would explain why I loose 110v when the inverter is OFF

This issue is only the passenger side plugs.

Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

The inverter /charger had a pass thru relay.

Should be a incoming and outgoing romex cable.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #3

As i thought. Just a switch. Obviously that function is dead. The inverter does put out 110v from the batteries. Temporarily, i have attached a 12v battery charger to keep the batteries Charged somewhat.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

Can you measure the output wires at the connection at the inverter?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #5

I dont believe i can measure any 110v wires. They are all sealed Only the 12v are exposed.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not to ask a silly question…..did you check your GFCI?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

Dutch Star Don asks a very good question and for your sake I hope his hunch is right.

A bit more background: the 50 ampere, 240 volt circuit comes with a center tap that becomes the neutral. When the neutral reference is lost, the voltage on each leg will rise or fall depending on the relative load balance between them. The leg with a much larger load will have a lower voltage while the lightly loaded leg will have a proportionately higher voltage. This higher voltage can damage appliances and entertainment equipment not designed for "universal" voltage.

You should replace your 50 amp plug and trim back 6" -1 ft of cord from the failed end. Check every termination of your shore power cord wires.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #8

Remove you breaker panel cover and use a multi-meter to check voltage at the main 50 amp breaker. 120 volts each leg to ground. 240 volts between them.
now reset every breaker. Off and On. Now test for 120 volts are each breaker. Now go to the inverter reset the GFI. Now check for 120 volt output. Now go reset the other GFI's in the rig.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #9

I have removed the breaker panel cover and tested each breaker. All test good in and out.
All gfis reset. The passenger side circuit doesn’t have gfi. I think the inverter breaker serves that purpose. I believe the only issue now, except for dead appliances, is the fact that the passenger side circuit has no shore power only power supplied by the crippled inverter. The inverter is not passing thru 110 voltage when the inverter is disabled.
And, Yes, i will rework the 50 amp plug.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #10

I suspect a connection at the transfer switch if the inverter works and the generator works. That proves connection through all breakers are good.

One other thought. Does the transfer switch validate the power configuration? In other words if any of the 3 wires are not hooked up right will it fail and block connection.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #11

There might be a circuit breaker on the inverter that needs to be reset. Maybe a panel breaker for the left side receptacles.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #12

Got the owners manual for your(which model?) Xantrex? Call tech support for help. I did when mine(RS2000=obsolete) had me stumped, the technician was quite helpful, even emailed me documents to support his advice while we were talking. Many Xantrex documents are online.

We know it's the pass-through feature, just have to discover why and how to fix the feature. I suspect it's a breaker or safety causing the lack of pass-through.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
I have removed the breaker panel cover and tested each breaker. All test good in and out.
All gfis reset. The passenger side circuit doesn’t have gfi. I think the inverter breaker serves that purpose. I believe the only issue now, except for dead appliances, is the fact that the passenger side circuit has no shore power only power supplied by the crippled inverter. The inverter is not passing thru 110 voltage when the inverter is disabled.
And, Yes, i will rework the 50 amp plug.
You didn't answer the question. Do you have 240 volts on the main 50 amp breaker and is there 120 volts at every breaker? Do you have any GFI breakers in the panel.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
2004 Revolution 40c
Yesterday the white wire (neutral) in my male shore plug (50a) came loose and apparently shorted against the red or black power leg wires while plugged into the RV park power.

Aside from all the damage it caused I have one issue I cant resolve.

I have restored 110v power to the drivers side. I cannot restore shore power to the passengers side plugs. Im sure the Xantrex inverter is damaged. I verified that there is still 110v power to the inverter and it appears to be running and both inverter breakers are on. Im pretty sure the inverter is not charging the batteries.

When I switch ON the inverter via the remote panel all passenger side plugs function. When i switch the inverter OFF i lose power to the passenger side plugs.

Question. — Does the shore 110v power pass thru the inverter when the inverter is OFF.? This would explain why I loose 110v when the inverter is OFF

This issue is only the passenger side plugs.
The inverter does not charge the batteries. The inverter takes power from the batteries and changes it to 120 volts.

yes, you turn the inverter off and it will not produce electricity. Inverter may have two GFI outlets. Reset both. They are not called Breakers.

Tags
electric, electrical