Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

Electrical issues

2004 Revolution 40c
Yesterday the white wire (neutral) in my male shore plug (50a) came loose and apparently shorted against the red or black power leg wires while plugged into the RV park power.

Aside from all the damage it caused I have one issue I cant resolve.

I have restored 110v power to the drivers side. I cannot restore shore power to the passengers side plugs. Im sure the Xantrex inverter is damaged. I verified that there is still 110v power to the inverter and it appears to be running and both inverter breakers are on. Im pretty sure the inverter is not charging the batteries.

When I switch ON the inverter via the remote panel all passenger side plugs function. When i switch the inverter OFF i lose power to the passenger side plugs.

Question. — Does the shore 110v power pass thru the inverter when the inverter is OFF.? This would explain why I loose 110v when the inverter is OFF

This issue is only the passenger side plugs.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 AM   #2

Yes, there's a transfer switch in the inverter that switches between shore power and inverter generated power. The transfer switch may have lost one set of contacts. Also possible the shore power isn't getting to it.

Power should flow through the main transfer switch, which selects between shore power and genset. The output of that choice goes to your AC distribution panel.

AC distribution panel will have one or maybe two breakers feeding the transfer switch in the inverter.

In some cases the output of the inverter transfer switch may go to an AC sub-panel for distribution to the coach. Alternatively the loads may be wired directly to the inverter transfer switch output.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
YC1

Disconnect shoreline, turn batteries off and use a voltmeter to be sure there is NO power getting to the inverter input leads. Let is sit for a minute then reconnect the batteries and then the shoreline.

Just a chance it got confused in all the fuss but worth the five minutes to try. Sure sounds like the inverter is not switching over.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #4

Their might be a circuit breaker on the inverter itself that needs to be reset. Their might be a panel circuit breaker for those outlets.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical