Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Electrical light issue

I have a 2002 Southwind 32v and the lights in the galley don't work anymore. There is a 20amp fuse in the panel that is marked galley lights. It's good, I even switched it out to make sure. There is 12.8 volts on the fuse according to my meter. It's the one flourescent light and the incandescent under the cabinets by the sink. Any suggestions?? Is there a different fuse panel? I checked the GFI also and it wasn't tripped. It worked last week???

Justin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked the voltage at the light fixture? If you have nothing do a continuity check between the fuse and the light fixture. I have a number of wires with alligator clips that I can use for the latter function.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well the GFI breaker has nothing to do with it because that is AC and those lights are 12 volts DC. There is the possibility the switch is bad so I would also check the voltage at the switch and as Shadowcatche said check it at the fixtures also. Since there are only two lights on that circuit it is possible that one bulb failed without you noticing it then the other just happened to also fail.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #4

Since the lights are 12 VDC a hot wire will go to one side of the fuse. From the other side of the fuse a wire will supply power to one terminal on the switch. The other terminal will have a wire attached to it to supply the light fixture.

There is a possibility that the wire for the ground has come loose.

Be sure to test the circuit with a "known good ground".
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see two posibilities: One is broken wire.. Such things happen after all, or a related (1b) problem and that is a connection which came loose on a wire.

The greater possibility is that there is a switch somewhere. Very likely just inside the door (in the step well) and it may even be labeled Ceiling Lights. On mine it controls 3 Florescent, two that are over the main slide when it's in and one over the steps themselves. But this is my "Suspect #1" as it were.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I see two posibilities: One is broken wire.. Such things happen after all, or a related (1b) problem and that is a connection which came loose on a wire.

The greater possibility is that there is a switch somewhere. Very likely just inside the door (in the step well) and it may even be labeled Ceiling Lights. On mine it controls 3 Florescent, two that are over the main slide when it's in and one over the steps themselves. But this is my "Suspect #1" as it were.

X2 I replaced light and still didn't work until I got all the switches sequenced in the on position and the light worked including the one I replaced. Look for switches and make sure they are in on position. Good luck.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

There are several things that it could be. If you have a meter, use that to check first to see if there is power to the light. I would remove the light and check at the wire connections behind it to make sure. If no power there, then check at the switch to see if it has power. If there is power in but not out, the switch is bad. If no power there, then you have to trace back toward the power source and that may be a challenge.

If you don't have a good meter, then you are pretty much just groping in the dark. You could replace the light, but that is not a good way to start.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies, sorry for the delay in my own reply but I just got back from my first trip in the coach. I got into it yesterday and found there to be no power to the light at all. I went on the power side of the switch and the circuit is dead. Everything else works around these 2 lights so I suspect a broken wire. I plugged both lights into a good 12v source and they both work so it's not the switches or bulbs. I checked every fuse and all are good. I'm going to try and pull a new wire to the fluorescent bulb today. I'll update when I get done or frustrated, whichever comes first.

Tags
electrical