Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Electrical Problem

I have an 08 Allegro that has an electrical problem I cannot solve. Need suggestions to correct. The RV is in storage and last week I decided to hook up shore power so to keep house batteries charged. I have power in the coach but the microwave and converter have none. The two wall outlets below the micro work. Checked circuit breakers and they were fine. In fact I shut them off and then on to see if things worked, no luck. Currently ran extension cord direct to converter to keep house batteries charged. Anything else I can do? Last resort would be to get an electrcian to test breakers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Is the microwave not working or is there no power at its outlet? Test its outlet.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your rig?

The converter is charging the batteries (you tested this) so it works. That would indicate the problem is between entry of the power to the coach and the converter.

Knowing the path of the electricity flows should identify possible component failures, like fuses, breakers, GFI outlets etc before the converter receives its portion.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I suspect a GFI outlet is tripped. Check ALL outlets to find the GFIs, then reset them. I'll assume you've already checked all breakers by cycling them all off and back on again.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I checked the microwave outlet, there is no power. I also didn't
know that GFI was in circuit for converter and microwave but I will check them anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
check breakers on inverter.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Another thought here. You mentioned the inverter does not work right? Your RV is a 50 amp rig, right? Could there be a breaker tripped on the supply post? Are you using a 50 amp to 30 amp to 15 amp adapters on the power cord? My gut says you are not getting power to one half of the supply from the house or garage or storage facility.

Hopes this helps in some way.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
So, the Converter and Battery charger work, but do not receive shore power via the coach wiring.

You have electricity to some outlets but not the Microwave outlet.

You do not clarify whether you have a combined Inverter/Convert/Charger or solely a converter/charger.

On my rig, the shore power connects to separate circuits for the roof AC units and refrigerator.
For all other outlets, shore power delivery is through the Inverter/Converter/Charger combi unit. This arrangement allows the batteries to power selected outlets including the microwave outlet via the inverter.

My Microwave outlet is on a separate circuit from the rest of the inverter connected AC connections.

Since neither your Converter/Charger or Microwave work on shore power you may have either one or two problems.

1. Take the cover off your breaker panel. Test the Microwave breaker with your voltmeter to see if 120v passes to and through the breaker. Since the outlet does not have power, the breaker should not be passing voltage but could be receiving voltage.

Then maybe swap the Microwave breaker with a similar breaker that does work. (Disconnect from shore power before doing this!) This will test if the breaker is bad.

2. If you have circuit breakers on the "Converter" box as I have on my Inverter box, a tripped breaker there will prevent shore power from entering the Converter. I have three such buttons, one of which disconnects the shore power.

Additionally, I have breakers on my GFI protected circuits that hide in my electric utility bay that trip, but they are mounted after the Inverter not before and should not be your problem.

If you could give the following info others might be able to add some help.

50 Amp Coach?
Manf and Model of your Converter?
Do you have an Inverter?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
If you have a meter, and know how to use it, test for electrical power at the main 50 amp breaker. You might have power on one leg, but not the other, for some reason. For instance, you might have it on the black leg, but not on the red one. That would explain why some things work, but not the others. If so, check back at the source to find the problem.
I have seen this before.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
check the wiring in the changeover box.
burned or loose wires and bad points cause this with the transfer switch.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I agree on the GFI.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lot of great ideas and now my 2 cents. Being in storage you probably have a cheater cord to run from a 20 amp outlet. I have seen the cheater cords fail and cause some grief. A quick test would be to open the AC breaker panel and check the specific breakers for the microwave etc. If you have power there, forget the cheater cord and give me my two cents back. Never mind. Keep the change.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Since you have partial power, I would first suspect either the power outlet the coach is plugged into and the adapter used to get from your 50A cord to a 15/20A wall outlet. Next suspect would be the wiring at the auto transfer switch in the coach. Last, I would be looking at the circuit breakers for those circuits. This is fairly easy to diagnose if you have a voltmeter and know how to use it, but probably requires a pro if you do not.

Neither the inverter/charger nor the microwave is normally on a GFCI protected circuit, but it's a remote possibility.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I got an electrician out to the rig. I disconnected the cheater cord to the converter, Took the cord and connected it to the rig and all of a sudden everything works. The electrician flipped the breakers off and on and everything still worked. Go figure. He said as long as I will have rig in storage till spring he will look at it then if it goes goofy again. This still has me baffled.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a circuit in my garage that was dead, found out that a nest of stink bugs were in my garage sub panel. They were between the circuit breaker clip and the buss bar.

Don't know if you have them in your area.

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical