Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #1

Lightbulb Electrical problem

Had anyone had the same problem we are having. We are getting 50 amp to the coach, refrigerator and convection oven are working. Problem is none of our inside lights and switches are working. You open the front door and the porch light comes on, close door and it goes off. Can not control it with switch. j
MsSkeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Let us know what type, model year, engine of your motorhome. It will help. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSkeeter View Post
Had anyone had the same problem we are having. We are getting 50 amp to the coach, refrigerator and convection oven are working. Problem is none of our inside lights and switches are working. You open the front door and the porch light comes on, close door and it goes off. Can not control it with switch. j
Is your 12 volt shut off?
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #4

Sounds like your "salesman's" switch is turned off. It is on the dashboard by your steps coming in with a group of switches. Try turning it in the other direction. It is connected to a solenoid in your front run box outside under the driver. They are prone to fail. If turning the switch doesn't work, check to see if you have 12 volt to both sides of the solenoid. If you don't, it is ok to by pass solenoid, many have done this and it is a permanent fix. You might make sure your house battery cut off switch, in with your batteries, is on. Refrigerator and microwave are 110 electric and unrelated to lights and switches, which are 12 volt.

Sounds like your porch light either has been altered by previous owner to turn off and on with the door opening, or another switch has to be positioned to keep it on all the time. Can't be much help on that one. I have a Monaco Diplomat a sister coach to yours and mine has a porch light switch to turn it off and on. It is not door activated. Good luck!
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #5

Also possible you have a tripped GFCI breaker...depending on how your coach is set up.
In ours, the converter, which keeps your batteries charged, is plugged into the GFCI circuit, which also feeds the 120v outlets in the kitchen and bathroom.
If the GFCI trips, then eventually the batteries will go dead, and you won't get any 12V functionality, like lights etc, even though your 120V stuff (except for GFCI) will work fine.

OR...as mentioned above...could be the salesman switch.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It also could be a fuse in the converter.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #7

This happened to me.

Was the little "Pop-out" circuit breaker on our inverter. If your's has one, look to see if its popped out. Should be pushed in/flush.

Mine is a Magnum Energy MS Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger, so yours may not be the same.
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #8

I have a seperate problem ground fault breaker tripped when my wife was using her hair dryer, now there are several outlets ...out....ground fault will not reset, because now there is no current to receptacle....breakers are not tripped, & current out.....does anyone know how I can get the wiring diagram?
2009 sportscoach legend
jshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

"salesman's" switch

Where does this term come from, just curious.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #10

We are the original owners. It is a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PDQ.
THe porch light did work with the switch until all this other stuff started Happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
Sounds like your "salesman's" switch is turned off. It is on the dashboard by your steps coming in with a group of switches. Try turning it in the other direction. It is connected to a solenoid in your front run box outside under the driver. They are prone to fail. If turning the switch doesn't work, check to see if you have 12 volt to both sides of the solenoid. If you don't, it is ok to by pass solenoid, many have done this and it is a permanent fix. You might make sure your house battery cut off switch, in with your batteries, is on. Refrigerator and microwave are 110 electric and unrelated to lights and switches, which are 12 volt.

Sounds like your porch light either has been altered by previous owner to turn off and on with the door opening, or another switch has to be positioned to keep it on all the time. Can't be much help on that one. I have a Monaco Diplomat a sister coach to yours and mine has a porch light switch to turn it off and on. It is not door activated. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #11

2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
Let us know what type, model year, engine of your motorhome. It will help. Eddie Elk.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #12

Salesman Switch - Because the salesman can have all the lights turned on prior to showing the coach then switch them off at the door. Then when he shows the coach the next time he can turn on the switch at the door, have them all come on then shut off the switch at the end of his tour.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #13

Talking

Never heard of a "Salesman Switch". The motorhome has been in the shop for over three weeks now. They can't find the problem! You would think they would have checked all the things all you RVer's have mentioned, but I will show them everything when I go in again this week! They are only open 4 days a week. Ugh! Want to go on a trip!!!

QUOTE=Chuck48;1872333]Sounds like your "salesman's" switch is turned off. It is on the dashboard by your steps coming in with a group of switches. Try turning it in the other direction. It is connected to a solenoid in your front run box outside under the driver. They are prone to fail. If turning the switch doesn't work, check to see if you have 12 volt to both sides of the solenoid. If you don't, it is ok to by pass solenoid, many have done this and it is a permanent fix. You might make sure your house battery cut off switch, in with your batteries, is on. Refrigerator and microwave are 110 electric and unrelated to lights and switches, which are 12 volt.

Sounds like your porch light either has been altered by previous owner to turn off and on with the door opening, or another switch has to be positioned to keep it on all the time. Can't be much help on that one. I have a Monaco Diplomat a sister coach to yours and mine has a porch light switch to turn it off and on. It is not door activated. Good luck![/QUOTE]
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your 12 volt systems are dead. the light that come son is drawing chassis power.. I suspect a bad converter and house batteries either disconnected or dead.

Tags
electrical